Controlling low end

Author
munmun
Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1319
2011/02/18 23:09:02 (permalink)

Controlling low end

This has probably been discussed ad infinitum.  But i am really frustrated with trying to get the low end right.  Attached is a song that I finished mixing tonight called "In the name of Paradise."  

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sunny-Zaman-Music/148877636665?v=app_184781670305

It sounded good on my monitors, headphones, car stereo, ipod dock.  But then I tried it on the high end system- namely combination of Denon amp with PSB speakers that I use for home theater.  The low end was over done.  The Denon is clearly tweaked to have a smiley curve.  But it wrecks my mix and sounds boomy.  Commercial mixes still have the over done bass but there is something tighter about the low end that I am not getting.

I have done everything by the book.  Cut off frequencies below 100-150k for all tracks other than bass and kick.  Used an appropriate (I think) amount of compression on the kick and bass.  Hi passed all frequencies below 45hz.  Boosted the mid-range on bass guitar and kick at appropriate frequencies to let them cut through.  Yet the low end does not feel defined enough.  What am I doing wrong?

9 Replies Related Threads

n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 00:49:40 (permalink)
    munmun

I have done everything by the book.  Cut off frequencies below 100-150k for all tracks other than bass and kick.
    Time to start cutting low frequencies in the bass and kick too...
    Keep cutting until it sounds bad and then back it off a tad.

munmun
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 00:54:21 (permalink)
    n0rd

munmun

I have done everything by the book.  Cut off frequencies below 100-150k for all tracks other than bass and kick.
    Time to start cutting low frequencies in the bass and kick too...
    Keep cutting until it sounds bad and then back it off a tad.

Do you mean HPF the kick and bass or cut discrete frequencies such as 60hz?
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 08:51:03 (permalink)
    Just as a simple starting point.... you can generally do no harm by rolling off all the freqs below 40hz.  A high pass set to 40Hz should do it. Most of what is below there is noise.

Of course, that is the simple explanation. If you have a nice parametric EQ, you can customize the roll off and the point where it starts.

I almost always have a STEEP roll off below 40hz on my stuff. The bass freqs are generally above that frequency and anything that goes below it is not a big issue.  I also roll off the stuff on the higher end too, but you didn't ask about that. It might seem counter intuitive to roll off the bass to get a nicer sounding bass, but it actually works well. (generally in the master bus FX bin)

In between those roll off points I have mids generally scooped a bit. To my ears, this gives less energy in the mids and that translates to a "cleaner sounding" midrange in the mix, resulting in a clear mix from top to bottom.

Getting the bass & kick to not clash is not too difficult. I use good samples and set the EQ slightly different for each one. I went into my Cakewalk audio FX and set up a drum preset and a bass preset in the ParaQ FX. So all I do now is load the proper presets to get me in the ballpark and then I'll tweeze them to that particular song. (in the individual tracks)

hope that helps
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/19 08:54:14

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    codamedia
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1185
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 08:57:16 (permalink)
    Are there any effects on that Bass? It sounds very undefined to me and is likely the cause of the problem. 

Mix the bass up the middle (seems to be in a stereo pan - which is why I am asking about effects) and work with it. If there are effects (reverb, delay, chorus, expander, etc...) remove them, for now at least. Work just with EQ and compression until you get that bass right. If you really need an effect - add just a little.

Don't fix it in the mix ... Fix it in the take! 

Desktop: Win 7 Pro 64 Bit , ASUS MB w/Intel Chipset, INTEL Q9300 Quad Core, 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, ATI 5450 Video
    Laptop: Windows 7 Pro, i5, 8 Gig Ram
    Hardware: Presonus FP10 (Firepod), FaderPort, M-Audio Axiom 49, Mackie 1202 VLZ, POD X3 Live, Variax 600, etc... etc...
    The Maillard Reaction
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 09:17:01 (permalink)

It sounds like it wasn't a P-Bass and there was a reluctance to pound on the big fat string.

I also think the timing is off just enough that it's creating a canceling effect with the kick and the low mid guitar tone.

I'm not sayin the timing is off in a bad way... but since you are asking... if you tuned and snapped that existing performance it would pop out at a lower volume.

I love the song... it's great.

I think you are being to hard on your self.

best regards,
    mike

Kylotan
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 995
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 09:36:44 (permalink)
    munmun

Do you mean HPF the kick and bass or cut discrete frequencies such as 60hz?
    Personally I HPF both kick and bass, one at about 40hz, one at 60 or 80hz. Which I pick depends on the exact timbre of the kick and bass that I'm using, but essentially it allows one of the two instruments to own that 40-60/80 range, which can be important when both often play at the same time.

Sonar Platinum (Newburyport) / Win 8.1 64bit / Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 / Absynth / Kontakt / Play / Superior Drummer 2 / ESP LTD guitar / etc

Twilight's Embrace - gothic/death metal | Other works - instrumental/soundtracks
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 09:45:01 (permalink)
    Cool song.... the bass on my computer speakers is not well defined. It's not a clean and clear as it should be. I would call it a "squishy" sounding bass at this point. Try experimenting with the EQ as outlined by me and others above. You want it to be well defined and kicking when it's playing.

It might require a total retracking of the part, (or not) but I think the song is worth it.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 10:23:58 (permalink)
    First of all - Nice Voice!  Vocals are outstanding!

Your kick doesn't sound bad.  It seems it could be stronger.  You need to find the thud frequency for the kick and then cut everything just below it.  You can't just cut at a general frequency - The thud frequency is different depending on the kick or where you have it tuned.  To find it set a narrow band on your EQ and search around for it.  You can boost this frequeny if needed, but cut everything directly below it. This technique will take care of any sloppiness from the kick and keep the kick tight.  Then find the beater frequency (up around 5k).  Adjust this according to the rest of your mix to keep the kick defined.  It may need more or less.  Right now it sounds pretty good.

Your toms are way too "ringy" and their low frequencies are really creating a lot of muddiness in the low frequencies.  If you have individual EQ's on each tom - do the same thud frequency technique as described above for the kick.  Depending on the tom the thud frequency could be around 125.  You can boost this area if needed.  Cut everything directly below the thud frequency.  The excess ring in the toms needs to be taken care of - you can do this in a variety of ways.  Do you have any envelope shaping control on the toms?  That's probably the easiest.  Otherwise you could use a gate, or a transient shaper. 

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Controlling low end 2011/02/19 13:28:21 (permalink)
    It's helpful to understand each of your references so that you can separate the weaknesses of your mix from the weaknesses of your playback systems. You already know that the hi-fi system in question hypes bass - but which frequencies specifically?

One way to address this, if you have a laptop that can record or a handheld recorder, is to make a test CD with white noise on it and record it in the listening position of your hi-fi (or car stereo or whatever). Examine the recorded white noise with SPAN to identify precisely what the playback system is doing to your audio.

I, too, have a hi-fi system in the rec room that normally amplifies the television but also serves as an alternate reference for my own recordings. I was frustrated for a long time because what sounded good in the car sounded bad on the hi-fi and vice versa. It was only after measuring both and discovering what each was adding and subtracting from the audio that I was able to zero in on an average that sounded acceptable on both.

I found, for example, that both systems artificially boosted "bass", but each boosted a different part of the bass spectrum. The car has an unnatural boost around 80-100Hz, while the hi-fi's boost was around 60-70Hz. Cutting the bass to suit the car made the hi-fi sound thin, and vice versa. It became apparent that there really was no way to satisfy both systems equally, which explained my frustration.

Ultimately, the solution was to cut bass less drastically and accept the reality that both references are deficient. I simply don't expect recordings to sound as good on either one as they do in the studio. As obvious as that seems, it was an epiphany to me. Sure enough, when I subsequently took my mixes to a professional studio and listened on their high-end monitors, there were no huge bass problems. I'd been making my own problems by chasing the deficiencies of my reference systems.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1