Helpful ReplyControlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys?

Author
Bansaw
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 116
2013/06/02 15:55:24 (permalink)

Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys?

Are there any shortcut keys you can set up to control the position of Sonar's playhead?
I can't seem to find out where these are.  I just use the mouse all the time.

eg:  move the play head two measures back...  etc

Sonar Home 6 XL (32-bit), Toshiba Sat L500 INTEL I5-430M 2.26-2.53GHZ , Win7 , 4GB, 500GB, MOTU Ethno & Symphonic, Rapture 1.2.1, Studiologic 990Xp, UM-1EX midi interface, UA-1EX usb sound cad
StepD
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 594
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2013/06/02 16:36:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/13 13:24:55
Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down will move now time forward or back one measure (works in playback mode too).

Core2 6600 2.40 GHz, ASUS P5B Deluxe, 8GB RAM, GeForce GT 630 2GB, 3 Seagate Sata, Echo AudioFire 4 asio, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab
stevec
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2013/06/02 19:24:38 (permalink)
Ctrl+Page Up and Ctrl+Page Down will move now time forward or back one measure (works in playback mode too).

Those are probably the two I use the most.

You can also set the "nudge" values in Preferences.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

John
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 30467
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2013/06/02 19:31:43 (permalink)
I use a Mackie Control to scroll the now time. 

Best
John
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2013/06/02 19:32:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby dubdisciple 2013/12/05 13:51:34
since it is CAL week for me. I have a couple of keys bound to simple CAL scripts to slide Now forward and backward.

;; Name: Now Forward.CAL
(do
 (+= Now 30)
)

and

;; Name: Now Backward.CAL
(do
 (int offset 30)
 (if (< Now offset)
  (= Now 0)
     (-= Now offset)
 )
)
icontakt
Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4266
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2013/06/03 08:05:59 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby davehorch 2018/04/14 15:08:43
scook

since it is CAL week for me. I have a couple of keys bound to simple CAL scripts to slide Now forward and backward.

;; Name: Now Forward.CAL
(do
 (+= Now 30)
)

and

;; Name: Now Backward.CAL
(do
 (int offset 30)
 (if (< Now offset)
  (= Now 0)
     (-= Now offset)
 )
)
Is it also possible to move the now time to a marker using CAL and create a keyboard shortcut like if you press Num1 it jumps to the first marker?
I hope your CAL week continues... :) 

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
Blades
Max Output Level: -43 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3246
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/12 22:53:42 (permalink)
Hey @scook - I know that this is OLD post, but a while back I adapted this script for forward and backward by beat (960 instead of 30) and then assigned that to the Ring on my Contour Shuttle Pro.  It works ok, though it can be a little bit fiddly.

So now I got the new CbB version and I'm trying to use the very same CAL to do it there and while it works, there is an oddity that I don't understand.  I verified that it is a problem when bound to a key command as well (which is basically all the Contour Shuttle is firing at this point anyway since the Cakewalk plugin stopped working for this ages ago).

Can you try to bind this command to a key and then hold down that key and see what you get?  I used to get a Now time that moved across the screen and worked like the FF or RW keys, except at "beat" resolution.  Same with what would usually be ctrl+PageUp and ctrl+PageDown (for by measure).  The by measure works smoothly.  The CAL script doesn't.

Instead of seeing the data fly by, you just see it doing nothing until the key is released and then you are magically transported to the point in time that aligns with how long you help the key.

Another oddity that I've found: If I start a brand new song (from a template I have with the same track and plugin layout I typically use), it works fine, no matter how fast I ask it to go.  If I open an older song (made with SPLAT), I get varying degrees of success from - works as long as I don't hit the keys too fast (ala Contour Ring held all the way to one side = hit key "as fast as possible") but as soon as I get to too fast, it goes to the "I can't process the video for your request" and stops working.

If I close CbB and open SPLAT and open the exact same "old" song, the Contour and CAL work exactly as expected.

I doesn't seem that anything in CbB would have changed to affect this, yet here I am with this strange issue.

Not sure why this would behave this way.

Blades
www.blades.technology  - Technology Info and Tutorials for Music and Web
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/12 23:08:17 (permalink)
Hmmm.  Update: maybe it's not as exclusive as shown above.  I can't nail down exactly where the differences are.  It's definitely after a certain "key presses per second" that is fails to show the progress.

Blades
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/12 23:45:51 (permalink)
I found what the distinguishing characteristic seems to be: Is the Console view open.  If that is not open, it works perfectly.  If it is open, whether it is the focus or not, the CAL script doesn't update the screen right.

In SPLAT - it doesn't make any difference, whereas in CbB it makes ALL the difference.  I have settings from Shuttle In Left 7 - 7 then Right 7-1 - so there are 14 positions.  Each one allows for a different speed that the key is pressed.  In Patinum, I have the max at 60 times per second that the key is pressed.  In CbB if I have it about about 30, whether the console is open or not, it's a problem.

Strange.  Not workable since I have the console open a LOT.

And as a matter of pricinpal - I thought nothing like this would have changed with this release of CbB.  I'm on the SPLAT 2017.10 release or the new CbB one.

Blades
scook
Forum Host
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/13 00:31:28 (permalink)
I doubt I would have noticed any of this. I do not use the console view or special input device.
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/13 00:38:46 (permalink)
Well... The special input device doesn't really have to do with it. The cal script just attached to a key combo causes the issue. And if the key is fired very fast, such as holding the key down causes the issue.

It just happens that the contour has a prescribed number of times per second where holding the key would repeat at an interval dependant on the keyboard itself, more likely. My gaming keyboard passes the repeat Very fast.

I think I might have seen some other gui issues that I am testing that might be related to this but a more general issue, which I will post about after more training.

Blades
scook
Forum Host
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/13 01:03:26 (permalink)
If it helps, I bound the forward and backward scripts above to ALT+right/left arrow in CbB and tested with and without the console view mostly obscuring the track view on a single 1920x1080 monitor. Holding down the key combinations smoothly scrolled now time on my PC (Win10 i7-4790K, AMD Radeon HD 5450) using a wired PC keyboard at the default keyboard repeat rate.
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/13 01:43:26 (permalink)
Hmm. OK. Thank you for the input. I have some additional testing to do then to find where my differences are.

Blades
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/04/14 01:38:56 (permalink)
Well, I was hopeful that changing over to Run As Administrator would have some effect on this, but it doesn't.  I don't know what is different here.  I have the same song running under the two different versions using the same CAL settings on the same Contour Shuttle settings and CbB performs completely differently than SPLAT 2017.10.  I can't make sense of it.  I know it probably seems petty, but this is a big part of my workflow!  

I'm really trying to be supportive of the Cakewalk/Sonar folks.  I have a LOT invested in this DAW, including a ton of time here on the forums helping others.  But as I drive about in my car to and from the office, I try to come up with reasons to keep using Sonar/CbB when Studio One works so well.  And I'm seriously torn between the two.

Cakewalk has always been my choice but there are so many things that Studio One is doing right and only a few tradeoffs.  The two primary being Drum Maps and 32bit VST support built in.

Still looking for a solution to this.

Blades
Blades
Re:Controlling the position of the playhead in Sonar - with keys? 2018/05/02 01:53:17 (permalink)
Well - for those who might find themselves reading this post (unlikely), I believe I found the issue with the "hanging".  Interestingly, it seemed to only happen on the far outer parts of the Contour shuttle - the Shuttle In Left 7 and Shuttle In Right 7.  It didn't seem to matter what I put in those positions - they freaked out CbB.  I could even put a known working command at 1 pres every 2 seconds and it just did this weird on-screen hang.  The display didn't update, yet the time was actually moving.  When released, the time was in the place it would have been if you had seen it moving all along, but you never actually saw the motion - just the end destination.

In the Contour Shuttle dialog, there is a setting under options to "disable speed control".  The definition of this in the documentation and forums indicates that it disables different speeds from happening, but I don't know really what that means.  Maybe for certain kinds of assignments.

Anyway - if I assign the "Shuttle In Left 1" to 1 time per second up to "Shuttle In Left 7" at 60 times per second with the "disable speed control" checked, it works just as you would expect by the keys assigned to each thing.  In other words, as I move the outer ring further to the left or right from center, the speed of transports FF or RW increases - and it does not hang up at the fastest speeds.

So - problem solved.  And now documented for all to Google.

Blades
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1