Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2016/11/13 09:52:00 (permalink)

Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI

In preparation for upgrading my motherboard and CPU, I found instructions on the tenforums.com on how to convert a non UEFI disc to GPT format/UEFI.  The current Z77 motherboard I have is UEFI capable but I've never used that.  I am going to use the UEFI on the new motherboard.  I wasn't sure it could be done but there are several methods to do it. The instructions I used was easier that I thought. It will save me doing a clean install with the new motherboard to get the UEFI.  The procedure requires making a backup of the current hard drive with Macrium Reflect (free version or a paid version), have a Macrium boot disk or USB Key and also have a USB key or DVD with a Windows 10 ISO (installation disc).

Having the full hard drive backup to a separate drive is a MUST.  It is needed in the procedure and if it all fails, you can recover back to where the drive was before the attempted conversion.  And, backups are always needed, not for IF it is ever needed but for WHEN it is needed.

If anyone who has a motherboard/PC with UEFI BIOS but is not using it and is interested here is the instructions that I used.
[link=http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/31765-converting-mbr-gpt-efi-boot.html#post483385]http://www.tenforums.com/...i-boot.html#post483385]http://www.tenforums.com/...i-boot.html#post483385[/link]

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

9 Replies Related Threads

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/14 03:34:48 (permalink)
    Sounds great but... well, "if it all fails" happened to me. I used EaseUS to do a clone transfer that didn't finalize. Now my laptop is sitting down at the local repair shop because it won't boot from the right source. Repair disks and ISO disk were no help. I spent a week sorting through the mess before realizing I couldn't fix it.

I just found out about GPT and UEFI but they've been around for a few years now. GPT is great because you can have up to 128 partitions without needing an extended partition. And the boot record is stashed all over the place, not just one, so if a sector goes bad the drive will be more likely to still work as opposed to an old style MBR disk.

fireberd
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/14 06:25:20 (permalink)
    I do not use "Clone".  I tried cloning when I first got an SSD. That was with Win 8.1, and I tried cloning with the program that came with the Samsung SSD - failed, Macrium Reflect - failed, and one other cloning program - failed.  I had a full hard drive disc image (backup) that I made before trying the clones and restored to the new SSD and it worked perfect. 

One of our software "guru's" on the Win 7 forum (sevenforums.com) did some testing and came to the conclusion it was a hit or miss (and mostly miss) when trying cloning.  His advice was to not use it.    Another issue with a clone, it copies everything, including bad sectors and bad data when you do a clone.  A disc image only includes valid (good) data.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    soens
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/17 07:03:12 (permalink)
    I learned a $128 lesson! The repair shop said EaseUS created more partitions on the drive than it could read from and completely messed up the boot sector. No way I was ever gonna fix it at home.
    soens
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/19 22:28:43 (permalink)
    Make that $368!  I spent 3+ hours on the phone with Dell after buying their 1 yr software warranty to sort out the mess the local repair shop charged me for.

I found out they installed windows in Legacy mode not UEFI. Even more goofy was they put the boot partition on one drive and windows on the other. It worked but it wasn't right and they insisted it had to be that way. (???!) These guys used to be the best in town. Now I'll never go back except to say Dell got it right and it wasn't even hard, just time consuming. But who knows.

Initially I got a great deal on this laptop but now we're about @list price.
    fireberd
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/23 10:50:23 (permalink)
    Well, Murphy's Law has struck again.  The ASRock motherboard has a problem.  It will not boot the OS drive.  I can manually go to the Boot Menu and select the drive and it boots up and everything works.  But there is a problem on the motherboard as the BIOS always gives a "99" error code which means there is a problem with a PCIe device, however there are no PCIe devices installed.  And if I do a reset or "Restart" from Windows the BIOS goes to another error code instead of recycling.  I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version but it didn't change anything.  I'll have to hassle (and it is a hassle) with newegg about the defective motherboard.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    soens
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/27 06:17:34 (permalink)
    After the fact switcheroos are always hit and miss. The surest way to get things done right is to start from scratch.
    fireberd
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/27 06:42:08 (permalink)
    I was able to resolve the defective ASRock motherboard.  It has been replaced by an ASUS.  New system is up and running as of last evening.

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    soens
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/27 07:01:51 (permalink)
    Glad its working.
    fireberd
    Re: Convert Win 10 non UEFI to GPT/UEFI 2016/11/27 08:53:34 (permalink)
    Now I have to get back to some overdue recording tasks. 

"GCSG Productions"
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1