Converting DVD to .mp4

Author
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
2018/02/18 00:54:01 (permalink)

Converting DVD to .mp4

I have a old BETA videotape that I just had converted to a DVD by a videotape conversion company. There is a band performance section section on the resulting DVD that I am trying to extract for future web publishing (e.g., Facebook, YouTube). I was successful in using VLC for capturing just the sub-section of interest from the DVD, which created a .mpg output file. So far, so good. When I went to upload it to Facebook, it complained about the file format. Even though Facebook claims to support mpeg, I was having issues uploading the file, so I figure I would convert to .mp4 and re-try. Supposedly VLC can convert to .mp4 but it keeps producing a bad formatted file as a result. So no success.

Bottom line, is I am trying to find some application that can assist in conversion of file formats and does it correctly. Anybody ever do this type of stuff and have a suggestion? Ideally since it is one-time, I would prefer freeware, but at this point I would consider purchase software if I knew it was a good product.

Frustrated.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

4 Replies Related Threads

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Converting DVD to .mp4 2018/02/18 01:20:42 (permalink)
    Try ffmpeg. Here is an article describing how to convert the entire DVD. Any part of a VOB can be converted just as easily by specifying the start time and run length. Assuming the VLC capture plays video in VLC, a valid mp4 should be possible with the following:
    ffmpeg -i "theVLCfilename" output.mp4
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: Converting DVD to .mp4 2018/02/18 01:52:42 (permalink)
    dvdshrink , to get it onto your HD perhaps

handbrake supports "vob" , and will have various formats listed.. I use it for dashcam footage

there is a new free video editor that came out recently.. but I have corel video studio, you might get a trial version of that also

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Converting DVD to .mp4 2018/02/18 11:04:56 (permalink)
    I'm looking at the opposite: How to compile DVD's with menus of the mp4s I've shot with my phone.
    Or is there some more modern way of handling the mp4s? Simply storing them on a memory stick doesn't
    serve the purpose.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    KenB123
    Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1229
    Re: Converting DVD to .mp4 2018/02/18 12:31:14 (permalink)
    Thanks for the suggestions. I tried ‘ffmpeg’ on the video selection .mpg file created from VLC. It processed but the result wasn’t playable. I need to learn the command line options and try some more.

I did download Corel Videostudio, but it would not read the VOB files from the disk. I don’t know why, as they claim it can process DVDs. Other than that, for the price I was considering it.

I am away for a few days and will get back to this on return. This type of exercise really opens my eyes up to how in many ways these powerful computers still have limitations. Well, at least the software applications do. Too many formats, etc. On the surface what I am trying to do seems simple...capture a portion of a personal DVD formatted video (copy protection is not an issue), and then be able to publish it on one of the social internet sites (e.g. Facebook). But when you try this a whole world of complications are exposed. It does seems the ‘freeware’ industry is getting smaller and harder to find. In fact, when you do a Google search you get back all these free software hits, but when you actually download the product you find it is a commercisl app and might restrict the conversion to a few minutes in length. They never tell you the restriction until after you download and install. Blah. (Rant off.)

Thanks again.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1