Convolution reverb

Author
tunekicker
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1261
2006/08/03 23:18:03 (permalink)

Convolution reverb

Something just occurred to me!

Convolution Reverbs use a technique to "capture" the reverb sound of a room (or the coloration added by an effect) in an "Impulse." Let's think about what that means when they are samping a Concert Hall...

It would make sense to me that people designing a concert hall would try to design the acoustics so that it sounds best when people are sitting in the chairs. In all of the videos I've seen, however, I've never seen a crew take an impulse in a concert hall that was full. They are ALWAYS empty.

I love convolution reverb, but this seems to illustrate one more way in which there is no substitute for the real thing.

Peace,

- Tunes

3 Replies Related Threads

Kicker
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    RE: Convolution reverb 2006/08/05 00:33:03 (permalink)
    I think that it is more useful for modelling the rooms of great studios. There's a studio around me that has a really great sounding drum room. A few times I have considered tacking a track over there to be re-amped, but now I can use Perfect Space instead.
    seriousfun
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 641
    RE: Convolution reverb 2006/08/05 15:25:22 (permalink)
    The effect of human bodies on the sound of a concert hall is always taken into consideration in modern concert hall design.

The absorbtion coeficient of commercially available theater seating is designed to be the same whether occupied or not. I assume that some people taking IRs of acoustic spaces consider this issue, and some don't. Many if not most modern orchestral recordings are captured in empty concert halls, so IRs taken in these spaces might be useable after all.

Doug Osborne
    Tangomann
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Convolution reverb 2006/08/07 03:17:35 (permalink)
    They can call it what they want, but you said right: nothing can replace the real thing - especially not plugins. True, some reverb processors are better than others, but the best ones are still the hardware ones(TC Electronic, etc...), and even they don't come close to the real thing. Wether you like classical music or not, try to pick up a compilation(not the whole set if your not into classical music) of Wagners Ring on Decca performed by Georg Solti and the Vienna Philharmonic. This recording was made in the 1950's, and the lush reverb of this hall is an example of great acoustics. By the way, the hall was built over a hundred years ago...

''The first casualty in a war is the Truth''
    - Winston Churchill
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1