Copy and Paste on the Same Track

Author
RS1979
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27
2018/10/23 18:36:27 (permalink)

Copy and Paste on the Same Track

Can someone please tell me how to replace segments of a track with other segments of the same track? I have parts of a track that are slightly off-beat. I want to remove those parts and replace them with identical parts that are on the same track, but I can't figure out how to do it. Every time I highlight the parts I need and click 'copy' the program copies the entire track.

Thanks.

5 Replies Related Threads

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Copy and Paste on the Same Track 2018/10/23 18:47:54 (permalink)
    You talking midi or audio?

Either way, you need to isolate the part you want to copy into it's own clip

Then just select that clip, then you can hold the ctrl key down and drag the clip where you want it.
    Holding shift as well as ctrl will force the copy onto the same track. Without this it's easy in a long project for the copy to "drift" onto another track

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    JCody
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 227
    Re: Copy and Paste on the Same Track 2018/10/23 18:53:55 (permalink)
    Hmmm . . . it seems to work fine on my setup. I highlight a section and hit "ctrl c" then place the cursor where I want it, then hit "ctrl v" and a copy of the highlighted section appears. I did this on the same track too. I didn't have ripple editing on. I then tried it again with ripple editing on and wherever I placed the cursor for the paste, inserted it and it moved everything into the future from that point. It works really well. If you were replacing things, I'd leave ripple on, then slip edit out the part I didn't want and then slide the clip back to match up with your pasted clip.
    Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Copy and Paste on the Same Track 2018/10/23 19:23:29 (permalink)
    For me I had issues so I split the track to isolate the part I want and then copy/ paste that "clip" 
    You can also use lanes to put the correct parts under the buggered parts and then select the parts you want to play, but to me that gets messy so I just use the "split" and delete the bad parts and split and copy paste the good. There must be better ways to do this but for the few times I've needed this feature I just suck it up.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

RS1979
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27
    Re: Copy and Paste on the Same Track 2018/10/24 13:32:35 (permalink)
    Bristol_Jonesey

Then just select that clip, then you can hold the ctrl key down and drag the clip where you want it.
    Holding shift as well as ctrl will force the copy onto the same track. Without this it's easy in a long project for the copy to "drift" onto another track

This worked great. The standard ctrl c/ctrl v was causing the clip to drift just like you said, but your method worked well. Thanks.
    Bristol_Jonesey
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re: Copy and Paste on the Same Track 2018/10/24 18:53:01 (permalink)
    RS1979
    Bristol_Jonesey

This worked great. The standard ctrl c/ctrl v was causing the clip to drift just like you said, but your method worked well. Thanks.

Yeah I should have explained it a bit better

Select & control to copy
    Select & shift to move a clip (but to retain either horizontal or vertical placement)
    Select & control & shift to copy and retain either horizontal or vertical placement

Omitting shift allows you to copy a clip wherever you want, horizontally or vertically

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1