Helpful ReplyCopyright question - Hymns

Author
Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
2017/08/13 14:02:33 (permalink)

Copyright question - Hymns

Some of the Christian music experts on this forum may be able to help here.

I am currently working on initial ideas for a song about the death of my Great Great Grandfather and his crew in a collision at sea in 1881 and I am considering using a few bars of the Hymn "Eternal Father Strong to Save" which seems appropriate to the subject matter.  It looks like the tune was composed by John B Dykes in 1861, given that it is 156 years old I assume its out of copyright.

I am also toying with the idea including a few bars of "Abide with me" written slightly earlier. It has a strong local  local connection, The writer of the words, Rev Henry Francis Lyte was vicar in the local church and my Great Great Grandfather and Grandmother may have even heard him preach when they were young.

post edited by Glyn Barnes - 2017/08/13 19:01:29

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
eph221
Max Output Level: -28.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4665
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 18:07:52 (permalink)
Don't ask a jazz player or a comic. They copy everything

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*
 Is a lumineer a new dental appliance?  

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Beagle
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 18:40:59 (permalink)
don't assume that just because it's written 156 years ago that it's not still copyrighted - you're PROBABLY correct, but there are some older hymns which still have copyright on from the family of the writer.

check here:
http://www.pdinfo.com/

looks like both "Eternal Father Strong to Save" and "Abide with me" show that they are PD from the search on that site.

sounds like a cool project for your great great grandfather!  hope it turns out well!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
MandolinPicker
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 720
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 20:17:47 (permalink)
The other thing that can mess you up with old songs like this is if someone creates a new arrangement of the song. The song itself cannot be copyrighted, but the arrangement can.

The Mandolin Picker
"Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
outland144k
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 934
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 20:49:06 (permalink)
eph221
Don't ask a jazz player or a comic. They copy everything

Jealous.

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 21:40:14 (permalink)
Beagle
don't assume that just because it's written 156 years ago that it's not still copyrighted - you're PROBABLY correct, but there are some older hymns which still have copyright on from the family of the writer.

check here:
http://www.pdinfo.com/

looks like both "Eternal Father Strong to Save" and "Abide with me" show that they are PD from the search on that site.

sounds like a cool project for your great great grandfather!  hope it turns out well!

I thought things became part of the public domain 70 years after the writer (or last writer if there was more than one) passes away?

I guess if someone wrote a hymn at the age of ten and lived to be 97 that it would still be copyrighted for another year, but that's a pretty extreme example!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/13 22:22:28 (permalink)
From the PD site, the header in one of the frames in the presentation on the first page says:

Public Domain Music
Music and lyrics published in 1922 or earlier are in the public domain in the USA.
No one can claim ownership of a song in the public domain, therefore public domain songs can be freely used with no fees or royalties payable to anyone.

This sounds all-inclusive. The caveat here (at least, I would have thought this was potentially an issue), however, is that both of the mentioned hymns are British in origin. OTOH, since they are listed as public domain on the site, as Beagle sagely notes, they are safe (at least in the US?). Also from the PD site:

International Copyright 
There is no such thing as "International Copyright". You must comply with the copyright laws of each separate country where you use music or lyrics. Copyright protection in most countries other than the USA expires 70 years after the death of the last surviving author.   In Canada, copyright protection expires 50 years after the death of all authors. 

This would seem to imply that country of origin bears no pressure on the copyright laws for each country; what is determinative is simply the date of death for the author. This really does sound like a wonderful project. You may want to search out some of the other less familiar verses written for "Eternal Father Strong to Save". There have been many, adapted for various groups and needs. Wikipedia has a bunch of them: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_Father,_Strong_to_Save

“Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy” is attributed to Benjamin Franklin perhaps in error, but the thought remains a worthy sentiment nonetheless.

Beagle
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 00:42:33 (permalink)
yes, Dan is correct.  what I was referring to on some hymns which the family might be carrying on the copyright are not necessarily the older ones, but there are hymns in the hymnals which are "old" but still carry copyrights even after the passing of the original writer.  I can't think of examples right now, but there are cases of 70+ year copyrights.  it might be because of being grandfathered after they changed the laws?  I don't know for certain.

but also, if you look on that page I linked to:  www.pdinfo.com  they state specifically that it's for US law only.

All Public Domain Information on this Site is Based Entirely on USA Copyright Laws.
Public Domain Status Must Be Verified Separately for EACH Country where Music is Used.

Beagle
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 00:50:40 (permalink)
ok - here's an example.  I'll Fly Away was written in 1929 and published in 1932.  even if you use the published date, it's over 70 years old.  but if you search in the pdinfo.com site, you'll see it's not there.  a cursory search on harryfox.com will show that it is indeed still under copyright by Warner-Tamerlane publishing co.  

I don't know how this happens, but there are still songs which are more than 70 years old in the US which still are under copyright protection and not admitted to the PD.

outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 01:54:33 (permalink)
Beagle
ok - here's an example.  I'll Fly Away was written in 1929 and published in 1932.  even if you use the published date, it's over 70 years old.  but if you search in the pdinfo.com site, you'll see it's not there.  a cursory search on harryfox.com will show that it is indeed still under copyright by Warner-Tamerlane publishing co.  

I don't know how this happens, but there are still songs which are more than 70 years old in the US which still are under copyright protection and not admitted to the PD.

Beagle, it's 70 years after the death of the author, not 70 years after the song was written. While he wrote the song in 1929, Albert Brumley died in 1977, hence the copyright is still active. 

Beagle
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 01:56:48 (permalink)
outland144k
Beagle

Beagle, it's 70 years after the death of the author, not 70 years after the song was written. While he wrote the song in 1929, Albert Brumley died in 1977, hence the copyright is still active. 

DOH!  you're right!  

bad dog!!! bad dog!!!  :D

dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 21:31:28 (permalink)
outland144k

The one case I'm familiar with conflicts with the notion that it's based upon the death of the author.  All of Pucinni's operas except the last one are now in public domain.  This was as of maybe eight years ago, so perhaps they now all are.  This is in the US, by the way.  But if a late work is not PD and earlier works are, then that would strongly suggest the author's death is not the sole determining factor.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the final opera was never completed by Pucinni.  A student of his (or something like that) finished the final few of minutes.  That might explain why that one opera still held copyright.  The guy who finished, who counts as one of the composers, probably died quite a bit later.
outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/14 23:45:14 (permalink)
dmbaer
outland144k

The one case I'm familiar with conflicts with the notion that it's based upon the death of the author.  All of Pucinni's operas except the last one are now in public domain.  This was as of maybe eight years ago, so perhaps they now all are.  This is in the US, by the way.  But if a late work is not PD and earlier works are, then that would strongly suggest the author's death is not the sole determining factor.

Edit: It just occurred to me that the final opera was never completed by Pucinni.  A student of his (or something like that) finished the final few of minutes.  That might explain why that one opera still held copyright.  The guy who finished, who counts as one of the composers, probably died quite a bit later.

Franco Alfano, who finished Puccini's last opera Turandot, died October 27, 1954 (Wikipedia). This means that Puccini's last opera will not be in the Public Domain until 2024.

Bingo, DM.

eph221
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/15 21:26:40 (permalink)
dmbaer
outland144k

Was it puccini's 10th?  

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/15 21:36:12 (permalink)
eph221
dmbaer
outland144k

Was it puccini's 10th?  

According to The Harvard Biographical Dictionary of Music, Puccini wrote twelve operas. Turandot was the last.

eph221
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/16 16:49:51 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby outland144k 2017/08/16 17:14:20
I take meds for decaphobia

*Q-TIPS ARE FUZZY!!*

i7 2.5 ghz
32GB RAM
WINDOWS 10
My Ass
Cubase 9.5

Glyn Barnes
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7564
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/16 18:59:10 (permalink)
Thanks for the replies, As far as I can tell they are public domain. It probably won't be much of an issue anyway as I doubt the track will reach much of an audience but if it turns out really well I thought about selling it for donations to the RNLI (UK lifeboat charity).

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/16 21:34:13 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
Thanks for the replies, As far as I can tell they are public domain. It probably won't be much of an issue anyway as I doubt the track will reach much of an audience but if it turns out really well I thought about selling it for donations to the RNLI (UK lifeboat charity).

That's cool. I hope it turns out well.
I'm sure that your great-great-grandfather would have been very touched.

outland144k
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/16 21:36:03 (permalink)
eph221
I take meds for decaphobia

You can certainly rest easier tonight. Let's just hope that your condition doesn't spread into dodecaphobia.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/17 06:42:29 (permalink)
Or icosahedrophobia.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
tlw
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2567
Re: Copyright question - Hymns 2017/08/18 01:54:30 (permalink)
Glyn Barnes
\

In the UK PRS/MCPS are the people to talk to about copyright and licewnsing. Bear in mind a work being out of copyright doesn't mean you might not need an MCPS license to release it in recorded, download or broadcast form. That includes your own stuff, by the way.

If you're an arranger or writer PRS/MCPS can be worth joining, even if "arranging" means playing your own version of an old blues song. Amongst other things, if you play in a PRS licensed venue (and outside private parties all places that put on music should be) you can even make a claim from PRS for performance royalties for performing your own material. It's not much per song or gig, but it's there for the taking if you're entitled to it.

Membership also makes it much harder for someone to record a song of yours and credit it to themselves or "traditional"/"anon".

Sonar Platinum 64bit, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit, I7 3770K Ivybridge, 16GB Ram, Gigabyte Z77-D3H m/board,
ATI 7750 graphics+ 1GB RAM, 2xIntel 520 series 220GB SSDs, 1 TB Samsung F3 + 1 TB WD HDDs, Seasonic fanless 460W psu, RME Fireface UFX, Focusrite Octopre.
Assorted real synths, guitars, mandolins, diatonic accordions, percussion, fx and other stuff.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1