Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!)

Author
therealmatt
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2010/07/20 14:54:52 (permalink)

Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!)

Hello Cakewalkers.

I am offering $100 USD via PayPal for anyone that can help me salvage the MIDI info from a corrupted CWP file.

WHAT HAPPENED:

Long story short, I had a random problem with a damaged user profile in WinXP that wiped out the My Documents folder, where all my stuff is saved. I had backups of every important project except for this new one on which I spent 10-12 hours that day. I use auto-save with revisions, but since the whole folder was wiped out, I lost all the files. This DID NOT happen as the result of a SONAR crash or anything. I literally just restarted my computer and away my files went.

I searched high and low on my computer for my project. I was only able to find it with some data recovery software that is capable of recovering lost and deleted files. I managed to recover the whole project, but NONE of the 4 CWP versions will open in SONAR 8 PE. The audio file is strangely intact. In fact, all of the data I recovered from that deleted folder is intact except for these project files. Ridiculous. 

I have already tried opening the projects in safe mode and doing a system restore to try and roll back the My Documents folder. The only progress I've made in recovering the files are with the data recovery software. I suspect that the project isn't too corrupted, since everything else I recovered was perfectly fine.

The project consists of 1 audio track and one Superior Drummer track with a VERY carefully (and perfectly) crafted MIDI performance as well as a new personal best of a drum kit mix. 

WHAT I NEED:

I need to salvage the Superior Drummer settings and the drum track's MIDI information. A working CWP file would be great, but I don't necessarily NEED that; I just want to salvage the MIDI information. As long as I have the info for the Superior Drummer kit mix and the pitches, timecodes and velocities of all the MIDI events, I can rebuild the track manually.

If anyone knows a way to unpack and decode the info in a CWP file that would be outstanding. If anyone has any ideas on how to repair the file that would also be outstanding. If anyone can get the file working again that would be perfect.

WHAT YOU NEED:

Here are links to the 4 versions of the project file. I have SONAR 8 PE, maybe the file will open in some other version. Again, I have already tried opening in safe mode. I have also tried making copies of these are renaming the extensions to .WRK and .MID to no avail.

Original: http://www.daybreakdrive....t%20of%20my%20Life.cwp
Auto-save 1: http://www.daybreakdrive....t%20of%20my%20Life.cwp
Auto-save 2: http://www.daybreakdrive....010-07-17-22-57-52-046
Auto-save 3: http://www.daybreakdrive....010-07-17-21-14-15-296

Please don't lecture me about the importance of backups. I backup all my stuff regularly but this is a one-time, same-day fluke of an event. I suppose now I will start immediately backing up every time I hit the save button. It's apparently necessary. 

Thanks in advance!

6 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/20 18:04:38 (permalink)
    I took a look at the first file (with a hex editor), and it appears to have been truncated.

This sometimes happens when a file is inadvertently deleted and subsequently resurrected: portions of the disk space that had been allocated to that file are re-used for other things, resulting in that portion being overwritten. When that happens, the data is gone for good. The only time you can reliably reconstruct deleted files is when you attempt it immediately after the deletion, and even then it's not guaranteed.

I'm afraid you're out of luck on this one, matt. If the CWP file format were publicly documented, it might be possible to write a program to extract some of whatever remains whole within the file (which might or might not include your MIDI tracks), but that format is proprietary and has never been documented publicly AFAIK.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/20 19:13:48 (permalink)
    Don't know if you can still do this but I remember back in the day it was possible to recover rewritten files via OS and disk utilities... apparently, the file doesn't write over the same space on the hard drive the the OS file management system just put a rename character on the file and if your system didn't use the same physical space (if you ever do a defrag - you were toast), you were able to recover the file (using the utility) by renaming it and viola... file back in business.

Research and see if this is still possible.

Jim

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/20 20:18:13 (permalink)
    Corrupted Midi file. What a headache. Did you save a copy to a seperate drive? No? During the crash you're describing, whatever information that was active with the crash went bye bye. Your best bet is to recreate it. I spent hours analyzing the data in the event list on a Midi project-track that had been corrupted by a driver conflict between two different Midi controllers that used the same device ID and apparently the same instructions. I finally narrowed it down to a series of note instructions that were not from device #1, but from device #2 which caused havoc upon device #1's information. The same thing can happen in many instances of file association due to similarity of instruction overwriting original file data. I hope that makes some sense.  

Craig DuBuc
    bitman
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4105
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/20 22:12:11 (permalink)
    OT: What is the advantage to having a closed file format in this instance anyway. Gee it's not like another DAW can't be whipped up overnight with another format, and the power can't be in the format.

Cake: publish the darn thing so we can have repair tools if you're not going to give us some.
    fitzj
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1487
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/21 03:53:04 (permalink)
    bitman

OT: What is the advantage to having a closed file format in this instance anyway. Gee it's not like another DAW can't be whipped up overnight with another format, and the power can't be in the format.

Cake: publish the darn thing so we can have repair tools if you're not going to give us some.

+1 for this.
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:Corrupted CWP File forensics. (REWARD!) 2010/07/21 10:10:18 (permalink)
    What is the advantage to having a closed file format in this instance anyway.

There is a big advantage, and it has nothing to do with trade secrets. An undocumented format means the CW devs have the freedom to change it at any time without worrying about breaking third-party tools or updating public documentation. As soon as you make something public, you're then obligated to support it and maintain backward compatibility. As long as the CWP file is a black box, they are free to add, modify or remove features as needed and only need to make sure that sonarpdr.exe knows how to read it.

Still, I think that opening up the format might spur third-party development, which would help the SONAR community. I'd love to see some reporting capabilities, for example. Imagine being able to get a spreadsheet of a project's routing map, or a list of all projects with session times and notes, or a popup utility you could invoke from the Tools menu that displays an enhanced routing diagram or a list of synths and what tracks they're on or a billable-time history or ...

Whether or not those benefits would justify the added work needed by CW staff - it could end up being one person's full-time job - is another matter.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1