AnsweredCould any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ?

Author
iRelevant
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 430
2018/04/18 12:27:11 (permalink)

Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ?

As said. I like to create music more out of the wild, and then later figuring out what kind of scale it is in.
I was wondering if anybody could recommend an app or offline program that quickly let's you identify 
which scale/s your song actually are in ... by plotting in notes used, as well as maybe identifying which
cords could go a long with it ? 

Thanks, Sven

PS. I'm not looking for anything super pro, even free ware would be appreciated. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 12:41:32 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby iRelevant 2018/04/18 17:15:00
I write the same way, just play "out of the wild" and then figure out what's going on with the scales later.  But, man if you get this app, you're robbing yourself of the exercise of figuring out the scale and how much you learn by working that out over and over again...

Just something to consider.  I don't know of an app for that, but I wouldn't be too surprised.    

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
Mesh
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 27360
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 13:18:39 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/18 17:18:06
I've had this https://pro.riffstation.com/ which is pretty good at identifying (general) chords, slowing down (while keeping it in key), transposing, isolate instruments etc...

I have to admit I don't use it very often (unless there's some special need) as I also like to "go on the fly", but it definitely works as advertised.

Here's a thread about it: http://forum.cakewalk.com/Riffstation-Guitar-Software-m3643922.aspx

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 13:52:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/18 17:19:23

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
tobiaslindahl
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 149
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 15:17:25 (permalink)
 Voda gives good advince imo. You really should be able to get the key in your own songs and that gives you the "scale" too I guess. These software tools could of course be a good help if ears and theory is not trained enough yet, but use them sparingly and as support and I am sure you will be able to pick most these things out quickly for yourself in no time without the use of software.

Anything that can slowdown songs but keep pitch will work very well so riffstation mentioned above will likely work. I use audacity when/if transcribing things I can't get at normal speed and it works very well. 
bayoubill
  • Total Posts : 10899
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 15:19:22 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/18 17:36:29
Create music more out of the wild then create music more out of the wild instead of figuring out what kind of scale it is in. Since each song is it's own identity so each song will be different. If you spend the time on figuring things out that's how much time you would have had creating instead of figuring. 
Please excuse my interruption on your Fred but I have this affliction called PTSS and can't help myself

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

iRelevant
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 17:24:15 (permalink)
Voda La Void
I write the same way, just play "out of the wild" and then figure out what's going on with the scales later.  But, man if you get this app, you're robbing yourself of the exercise of figuring out the scale and how much you learn by working that out over and over again...

Just something to consider.  I don't know of an app for that, but I wouldn't be too surprised.    

Good point. 

OS:Win7x64 SP1 CPU:i5/8GB/SSD DAWs : CbB, FLS, SO2, (Reaper) etc. To much Gear, not enough wires. 
My Music : BandLab  https://www.bandlab.com/irelevant BandCamp : https://irelevant.bandcamp.com
iRelevant
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 17:34:36 (permalink)
tobiaslindahl
 Voda gives good advince imo. You really should be able to get the key in your own songs and that gives you the "scale" too I guess. These software tools could of course be a good help if ears and theory is not trained enough yet, but use them sparingly and as support and I am sure you will be able to pick most these things out quickly for yourself in no time without the use of software.

Anything that can slowdown songs but keep pitch will work very well so riffstation mentioned above will likely work. I use audacity when/if transcribing things I can't get at normal speed and it works very well. 

I'm composing my own material, and my level of theory is down in the toilet. The purpose is more to be able to self educate, and tell key/modalities that a song actually is in ... post creation/fact. Eventually the tool will hopefully no longer be needed, as I will have absorbed the knowledge by hearth ... hopefully without interfering with my existing style of playing ... or if it does ... in a good way. 

Mesh
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 17:46:34 (permalink)
Rock on I say....Rock on!!

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 18:01:04 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby iRelevant 2018/04/18 19:11:00
I'm composing my own material, and my level of theory is down in the toilet. The purpose is more to be able to self educate, and tell key/modalities that a song actually is in ... post creation/fact. Eventually the tool will hopefully no longer be needed, as I will have absorbed the knowledge by hearth ... hopefully without interfering with my existing style of playing ... in a good way. 

Watch the video below from start to finish. No need to memeorize just watch

Basic Music Theory

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 18:11:11 (permalink)
When you have more time check this out

Music Theory Long Version

P.S. if you have any questions on anything you see and hear in the videos just ask even if you think it may be a dumb question.

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 18:56:09 (permalink)
Another useful music theory video.  I think there are 4 of them by Claus Levin

Theory Claus Levin

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

iRelevant
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 19:10:48 (permalink)
bayoubill
I'm composing my own material, and my level of theory is down in the toilet. The purpose is more to be able to self educate, and tell key/modalities that a song actually is in ... post creation/fact. Eventually the tool will hopefully no longer be needed, as I will have absorbed the knowledge by hearth ... hopefully without interfering with my existing style of playing ... in a good way. 

Watch the video below from start to finish. No need to memeorize just watch

Basic Music Theory

Thanks, great starting point ... think I need to digest first video a bit before I move on :) 

tobiaslindahl
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 19:21:42 (permalink)
iRelevant
tobiaslindahl

I'm composing my own material, and my level of theory is down in the toilet. The purpose is more to be able to self educate, and tell key/modalities that a song actually is in ... post creation/fact. Eventually the tool will hopefully no longer be needed, as I will have absorbed the knowledge by hearth ... hopefully without interfering with my existing style of playing ... or if it does ... in a good way. 

Well, that sounds like a great approach! The right tools used wisely can be a big help.  
tobiaslindahl
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 19:26:35 (permalink)
Btw, I am actually ( right now ) sitting transcribing somestuff I recorded WAY back in the 90's and I use Transcribe ( I wrongly called it audacity above, brain fart) atm to get some fast parts down correctly. This **** was before I used cakewalk, used something called Musicator back then and the sounds are horrible, but some of the material aint too bad in itself so want to recreate it, do a remake if you will, with some better sounds and updates. 
Trying to sort out what I did 25 years ago sometimes calls for slowing **** down a bit :) 
bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 20:00:57 (permalink)
Transcribe is my favorite and awesome tool!!!

"great starting point ... think I need to digest first video a bit before I move on :)"

Those will help a lot and you can watch as needed. Don't bog yourself down with theory.
Remember  Create music more out of the wild then create music more out of the wild 

The reason I posted the other videos is Chronic Amnesia  If I don't mention them now in about 20 min I will say " What videos?" Kinda like PTSS

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 20:52:04 (permalink)
iRelevant
As said. I like to create music more out of the wild, and then later figuring out what kind of scale it is in.
I was wondering if anybody could recommend an app or offline program that quickly let's you identify 
which scale/s your song actually are in ... by plotting in notes used, as well as maybe identifying which
cords could go a long with it ? 

Thanks, Sven

PS. I'm not looking for anything super pro, even free ware would be appreciated. 

not to sidetrack,
but this is a perfect argument for why every musician should learn music theory.

an effort, well rewarded.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 21:29:01 (permalink)
All anyone has to remember is Am 

"Once you accomplish that your work is done" I said in my Homer Simpson voice 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 23:11:40 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bdickens 2018/04/19 17:50:01
bayoubill
Create music more out of the wild then create music more out of the wild instead of figuring out what kind of scale it is in. Since each song is it's own identity so each song will be different. If you spend the time on figuring things out that's how much time you would have had creating instead of figuring. 
Please excuse my interruption on your Fred but I have this affliction called PTSS and can't help myself

I know my theory inside and out but when composing in the piano roll I don't think about it even once. I don't even think about the note names, or the names of the chords I'm writing. I do the whole thing by ear. That's what I really like about the piano roll, it's just linear columns of notes which maintain the same relationship to each other no matter where on the roll you are. I've gotten halfway through tunes and realized I don't even know what key they're in. I'm glad I know the theory but one thing's for sure, you can certainly get by without it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
olavsu1
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/18 23:39:03 (permalink)
Maybe  Anvil Studio helps learn  music.
Mesh
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/19 12:32:53 (permalink)
sharke
bayoubill

I know my theory inside and out but when composing in the piano roll I don't think about it even once. I don't even think about the note names, or the names of the chords I'm writing. I do the whole thing by ear. That's what I really like about the piano roll, it's just linear columns of notes which maintain the same relationship to each other no matter where on the roll you are. I've gotten halfway through tunes and realized I don't even know what key they're in. I'm glad I know the theory but one thing's for sure, you can certainly get by without it. 

I've always been an audio guy and sadly, never tried using the Piano Roll. Thanks for posting this James, I'm going to make an effort to learn how to use this and hopefully get some new creative things going (maybe even introduce this to my little ones so that they can teach me ).

HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
The_Forum_Monkeys
bdickens
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 847
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/19 17:51:20 (permalink)
Music theory is a DESCRIPTION, not a PRESCRIPTION.

Byron Dickens
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/19 17:55:11 (permalink)
I find PRV super useful when using scales i don't work with a lot.  Like sharke said.  Since PRV mantains visual relationship, figuring chords, etc is a breeze.

ANother option to figure scale is melodyne.  I have also been using Songkey by hornet.  cheap and has decent success rate.  Every now and the nit fails, but for the price it is worth it.
bayoubill
Re: Could any body recommend and app or SW that helps with identifying scales ? 2018/04/19 18:16:09 (permalink)
IMHO, try composing in your ear and head a complete song without any instrument. That's all the parts. A completed song as you hear it without picking up or using any musical instrument. Then put that down on tape (Sonar) 
To do this you have to KNOW the song before you start recording and it's been my experience, at least for me, the music is much better and original. It's like doing a cover tune but no one but you has ever heard it. 

SWAMP MUSIC
Sonar PLATINUM        
Studio Cat DAW

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1