Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface?

Author
Norrie
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1665
2010/09/24 09:48:19 (permalink)

Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface?

http://www.rockpalace.com.../AER-Compact-60-II.jpg

This is a pic of the back of a AER compact 60
I own one and Ive heard I can run it straight in to my VS-700 audio interface..... I dont know if this is true as its all a bit new to me.

I cant mic it up in my home studio it would just be to loud for the people who live next door

Could some one please tell me the best way to do this so I can record from it straigh in to the audio interface ?

Thanks to all

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
Pro Tools 11
Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
Adam A77x
i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz

22 Replies Related Threads

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 10:57:10 (permalink)
    The pic is a little to low rezz to read the print on tha lables...

But is that a balanced line output?  Connect that with a standard mic cable to a line input on your VS-700

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

johnnyV
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2677
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 11:06:27 (permalink)
    Features : 8
    Features discussed in other reviews. The i/o section is good with various output options with or without fx and di which covers most applications. A good feature is the phones out - which once plugged into disables the speaker so you can record from the di silently.

So that's just a quick glimpse at some reviews. I would try the different jacks and see which one includes the tone shaping. As I said before in the other thread some output jacks are just a DI of the input signal so are pre efx. To get the speaker sound you use the headphone or a line out that is post efx. Download the manual it will explain what each jack does.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/27 17:47:00

Sonar X3e Studio - Waiting for Professional
     Scarlett 6i6
    Yamaha Gear= 01v - NSM 10 - DTX 400 - MG82cx
    Roland Gear= A 49- GR 50 - TR 505 - Boss pedals
    Tascam Gear=  DR 40 - US1641 -
    Mackie Gear= Mix 8 - SRM 350's 
    i5 Z97 3.2GHZ quad 16 Gig RAM W 8.1  home build
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:03:18 (permalink)
    Karyn

The pic is a little to low rezz to read the print on tha lables...

But is that a balanced line output?  Connect that with a standard mic cable to a line input on your VS-700

Hi Karyn yes it is :)

Sorry it was the best pic I could find with otu takeing one my self.

So would that be a xlr to xlr on the vs 700 or use a xlr to jack on the vs 700 side ?

Thanks again

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:15:24 (permalink)
    The balanced line out is a good one to use, but if it doesn't disconnect the speaker, you still have volume.... I like the headphone jack answer.... it shuts off the speaker.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    ohhey
    • Total Posts : 11676
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:19:18 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

The balanced line out is a good one to use, but if it doesn't disconnect the speaker, you still have volume.... I like the headphone jack answer.... it shuts off the speaker.

I wonder if the line out is still active when you plug in headphones ? Could just use a dummy plug or a set of headphones to cut off the speaker and still use the line out to record.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:20:39 (permalink)
    One could hope.

BMI/NSAI

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:26:12 (permalink)
    So di will be xlr ? do I want the side that goes in tothe Vs 700 to be a xlr or jack ? I am just about to try it now if some one could let me know :)

Thanks

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 15:29:06 (permalink)
    The balanced line out should take its feed from between the pre-amp and power amp stages so turning down the master volume will quite the amp without affecting the level going to the VS-700.

A plain XLR-XLR into one of the main inputs will be fine.

Mekashi Futo
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 16:43:55 (permalink)
    Hey again!

Thats it all sorted xlr to xlr on the balanced out put works like a dream just use the gain s to send the level going to the vs 700 and put a jack in the head phone out to stop the speeker working  :D

It works and sounds awesome

Thanks to every one :D

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    johnnyV
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 16:51:09 (permalink)
    Pardon the simplistic explanation here,
    XLR  is  low impedance and is also called balanced, using a pair of wires that carry your signal and a shield to help eliminate RF interference, The shielding does not carry signal and can be disconnected at one end to eliminate  ground loop issues.
    It is most needed for long cable runs that can pick up noise so is used in pro audio PA systems.
    This is the reason a lot of amps include the XLR output, a quick easy way to patch into a stage box.  but they are not all patched into the amp in the same way, that's why I recommend a quick read of the manual because it will tell you. There is no point in using it if it's ahead of the pre amp..
      The other jacks will all be unbalanced and are probably fine for short cable runs
    With an unbalanced  cable half the signal is carried in the shielding so not good idea to go over 25'. Because the instruments are hi impedance they tend to drown out the noise.

So in a studio you use the connections that give you the quietest signal and you need to match impedance throughout the signal path.
    There is no real need to use a balanced cable in a short run.
    But there is no reason not to if the output is the one you want.
    If you get a hum from the unbalanced outputs  then for sure use the XLR.
    but it would be best to know what the signal coming out is from.
    post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/24 16:54:29

Scarlett 6i6
    Taylor mini GS - G& L Tribute Tele - 72 Fender Princeton - TC BH 250 - Mooer and Outlaw Pedals  Korg 05/RW

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 17:12:16 (permalink)
    johnnyV

Pardon the simplistic explanation here,
    XLR  is  low impedance and is also called balanced, using a pair of wires that carry your signal and a shield to help eliminate RF interference, The shielding does not carry signal and can be disconnected at one end to eliminate  ground loop issues.
    It is most needed for long cable runs that can pick up noise so is used in pro audio PA systems.
    This is the reason a lot of amps include the XLR output, a quick easy way to patch into a stage box.  but they are not all patched into the amp in the same way, that's why I recommend a quick read of the manual because it will tell you. There is no point in using it if it's ahead of the pre amp..
    The other jacks will all be unbalanced and are probably fine for short cable runs
    With an unbalanced  cable half the signal is carried in the shielding so not good idea to go over 25'. Because the instruments are hi impedance they tend to drown out the noise.

So in a studio you use the connections that give you the quietest signal and you need to match impedance throughout the signal path.
    There is no real need to use a balanced cable in a short run.
    But there is no reason not to if the output is the one you want.
    If you get a hum from the unbalanced outputs  then for sure use the XLR.
    but it would be best to know what the signal coming out is from.

I am really new to all this kind of thing man!

Karyn said Xlr to Xlr would be fine so I went with that option

I dont hear any hum

I just did the same thing with the EBS HD350 bass head I talked about in another thread here http://forum.cakewalk.com...70&mpage=1#2095937

It worked ok aswell

I am new to all this kind of thing so just looking for a bot of help along the way and I am still geting used to al the tec terms you talk about like rf interferance low impendence etc etc. I can be honest and say I dont have the forst clue what you meen

I can tell you have been doing this for a lot of year johnny but my self am lucky if I have been doing it for 4 months now so I have a lot to learn and I am keen to learn

Thanks for all your help

Thanks karyn guitar hacker and ohhey for helping me get it set up :)

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    johnnyV
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/24 22:39:28 (permalink)
    Excellent Norrie, sorry if I come across preachy, I can't help it I have been teaching guitar for to long...:}

Ya there's a lot to learn and if your in the mood for the ultimate heavy duty lesson , read the Yamaha http://www.amazon.com/Sou...ts/dp/0881889008 

your brain will explode  for sure.
    We stumble along and pick up a few beans along the trail. Good luck, thats a great little amp seems.

Scarlett 6i6

MemphisJo
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 01:50:22 (permalink)
    This is from the Compact 60 manual.

DI out: The composite signal after tone control but without effect and before master
    control is on the XLR socket. (Appropriate to connect the COMPACT 60 to a
    sound system.)

Line out: The composite signal after tone control, with effect and after master control
    is connected here. (This output can be used for tape recordings).

Here's the manual in PDF format.

http://www.aer-amps.de/pd...H/CPT2_MAN_UK_0211.pdf

If I were using the XLR DI out to an interface, I would be use an XLR to XLR audio cable not a mic cable.

www.soundclick.com/peter-nigel-productions 
    Shuttle PC, Mbox2 pro, some guitars and keyboards (with amps and straps etc), Sonar 8 PE plus some other stuff.

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 17:58:46 (permalink)
    Hi guys as you all know I was seting up my AER compact 60 and also my EBS HD350 going direct in to my vs 700

I set it up useing XLR - XLR on the AER and XLR - XLR on the EBS HD 350

I had sound comeing through on both and the sound is awesome I have to say apart from one thing

Every so often I can hear a crackle almost like a problem in the guitar lead or something so Ive tryed 3 different guitar leads

This happens both with the AER and the EBS

I dont know what I am doing wrong or what is causeing this

I tryed it last night for a few mins and I didnt notice the crackle at all bit I only played for a few mins very quiet thought it worled and went to my bed quite happy

I invited a friend up tonight to see it all working but as I was leting him play we started to notice the crackle happening every so often

As you can tell I was embaressed after saying to him how awesome it was to have it all set up and working the way I thought it was.

I am gutted to say the least

Could some one please help me with this I dont know what to do or where to start to fix it.

Apart from the slight crakle thats hapening now and again the sounds are amaizing so I am really gutted about this ;(

Please could some one help me with this I dont have the first clue what to do to stop the crackle

Thanks to everyone

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 20:46:26 (permalink)
    A crackling noise can come from several different things... it could be physical.... a bad cord, bad connector, the guitar, or... it could be coming from the software...latency and buffer settings.

BMI/NSAI

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 20:48:22 (permalink)
    Can you record the crackle to let us hear it?

Mekashi Futo

gustabo
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2591
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 20:59:12 (permalink)
    Plug your gtr straight into the amp and play, does the crackle happen over the amp's speaker?

Cakewalk by Bandlab - Win10 Pro x64 - StudioCat Platinum Studio DAW - 32 GB Ram - MOTU UltraLite-mk3
    M-Audio Keystation 88ES - Akai MPD26 (hot-rodded) - Alesis DM10 - a few guitars, a few amps
    Novation Launch Control - Korg nanoKONTROL2 - PreSonus FaderPort - DAW Remote HD on iPad
    Adam A7X - Behritone C50A
    PreSonus Monitor Station v2 (controlling the mons)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/sonarusergroup/

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/25 21:13:12 (permalink)
    No crackle straight into  the amps speeker. on eather the AER or the EBS that i have talked about on here.

The only way I could describe the noise is like you know when some one has dodgy guitar lead and it clicks / makes a craklying noise its like that just not as bad as that its only just enough to notice its there and no more :S

The guitar and base have no problem pluged in to anything else just when I plug it in to the AER OR EBS when its conected via XLR- XLR from the amps to the VS 700 its very strange

When the noise happens I dont see it clip or even go a lot higher on the level meeter in sonar as I would exspect or for the light to flash on the am to tell me its cliped

It sometimes wont do it for a god few mins then will Just do it once then it will may be do it a couple of times in the space of a few mins its quite random

I could record it tomorow for you as its after 2 oclock in the morning here in scotland now.

Ive been chating to jeff over here about ideas for it aswell If you would like to jump in on the thread aswel keeping it all to one thread ? its here ......http://forum.cakewalk.com...70&mpage=1#2096871

If any one could add to what hes saying over there with Ideas for me to try as soon as I get up in the morning it would meen a lot to me :)

I have some friends comeing over after lunch tomorow hopeing to record but its not looking like that will happen now ;(

Thanks for all help and Ideas you could offer for me to try

Norrie

The other thread is here http://forum.cakewalk.com...70&mpage=1#2096871

Thanks again :)

The only way I can discribe the crackle / click tyle noise is like when some one has a dodgy guitar lead and it gets knocked and makes that kind of click/ crackle noise ? Ive tryed 3 brand new leads so its not the leads.

The guitar and base have no problem pluged in to anything rlse just when I plug it in to the AER OR EBS when its conected via XLR- XLR from the amps to the VS 700
    post edited by Norrie - 2010/09/25 21:16:00

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/27 09:55:22 (permalink)
    Posted on your other thread.

Mekashi Futo

johnnyV
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/27 10:33:02 (permalink)
    I'm glad someone finally read the manual. it would certainly save time instead of guessing,

post edited by johnnyV - 2010/09/27 17:49:07

Scarlett 6i6

Norrie
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/27 15:24:54 (permalink)
    johnnyV

I'm glad someone finally read the manual. it would certainly save time instead of guessing, but it gets a little old having to read manuals to people doesn't it,
    Now we will learn about shutting down background processes and latency readings ..
    Students!  please try and stay awake

Excuse me johnny but what the hell is your problem ????

There is no need to be sarcastic or nasty to anyone who asks for help on here.. or maybe in your head there is ?

Not being funny Johnny but are you takeing pride in puting someone like me down ?

Ive seen other posts you have sent to other peope out there looking for help and you talk down to them aswell.

I dont get what your game is.... If I told you like I did that I am very new to a lot of this and its a bit over whelming then what part of that are you not geting? I also told you I didnt understand a lot of the tecnical terms for what you were going on about....

Jeff Evans has been a wonderfull help with geting it up and runing and he is just an all round top guy to talk to. I can not thank him enough for his help with everything.

You Johhny seem to want to speek down to people like they should know exactly what you are saying and meening. I hope that makes you feel good about your self becasue its not makeing you look like a nice person at all.

I was looking for a bit of help and Jeff and also Karyn helped a lot for that I am very thankfull to them!

In regards to your post on my other thread when you said

"Ahh Phantom power!! yes yes indeed, good work Karyn, so glad you can read, From my first post it has been my ultimate suggestion .
    Open the box
    Plug it in
    READ  the manual
    proceed to use. "

Thats just patronising and makes you sound like an out right prick and theres no need for talking like that about me! I can read thank you very much

I dont care how old you are or how much better you may think you are than anyone else on this forum but the one thing you have to remember is if some one posts on here they will be looking for help

They will not be posting on here and looking for a person like you to talk down to them and make them more confused than they already were or walk away going what the hell was that guy talking about????

Do us all a favour would you ? If you dont have anything nice to say or you feel the notion to put some one down? Dont do it on here because you are just comeing across as an aragant prick

Every one has to start somewhere and I am sure you werent a "recording mastermind" When you first started out or maybe you think you were I dont know and I dont care.

I just want to learn and was looking for some advice

Thanks Karyn for your reply to both my threads Jeff had talked me through it in a email and its all working great now but thank you for your help

Norrie

SONAR X3c Producer
    Pro Tools 11
    Allen & Heath GS-R24 M
    Adam A77x
    i7 4930K @ 4.4Ghz
    Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    Re:Could someone please tell me how to conect this to my audio interface? 2010/09/27 18:01:07 (permalink)
    Norrie

Thanks Karyn for your reply to both my threads Jeff had talked me through it in a email and its all working great now but thank you for your help

Norrie

You're welcome hon.

Mekashi Futo

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1