Covered head to toe in hives

Author
Ron Vogel
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1074
2009/02/15 22:21:49 (permalink)

Covered head to toe in hives

Took some excederin and in 15-20 minutes I was coved in hives from head to toe. I had 2-3 20oz Mt Dews, and 2 cups of coffee during the course of the day. To me, that's not all that much compared to usual...and I know Excederin has a decent amount of caffiene in it, but seems strange for it to do this. I ate dinner about an hour before (spaghetti), don't know if this could be it.

I'm allergec to Shellfish and Pennicillin already. Seem messed up? I'm kind of wondering if I might have a crappy liver and is running out of steam with all the crap I put into my system (I drink about a 2-liter of Mt Dew daily, and a few cups coffee), and have done this for 15+ years.

Anyway, a reaction like this seem abnormal?

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
Ron Vogel Soundclick page

9 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/15 22:58:09 (permalink)
    Damn dude! Mtn Dew has a lot caffeine in it. Certainly a nerve reaction. Not neccesarily related to liver function but you definitely found your limit. Excedrin could be the the topper on the chemical brew that caused it. Take some B-complex and lay off the caffeine a little and call me in the morning if it doesn't clear up after some "rest"

Craig DuBuc
    Cromberger
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 03:36:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ron Vogel

Took some excederin and in 15-20 minutes I was coved in hives from head to toe. I had 2-3 20oz Mt Dews, and 2 cups of coffee during the course of the day. To me, that's not all that much compared to usual...and I know Excederin has a decent amount of caffiene in it, but seems strange for it to do this. I ate dinner about an hour before (spaghetti), don't know if this could be it.

I'm allergec to Shellfish and Pennicillin already. Seem messed up? I'm kind of wondering if I might have a crappy liver and is running out of steam with all the crap I put into my system (I drink about a 2-liter of Mt Dew daily, and a few cups coffee), and have done this for 15+ years.

Jeez, Ron, that sucks!

It sounds like a classic allergic reaction to me. I once had a reaction to a drug that gave me the hives from head to toe, just as you have now. Had to take lukewarm oatmeal baths twice a day to alleviate the itching. Horrible. I feel your pain.

It may not be something you ingested, though. Have you changed laundry detergents lately? How about shampoos? Is there anything different in what you use on/in your body recently or in your environment? I've seen the nasty hives come from an allergy to certain detergents and shampoos, also hair colorings before (in other people, not myself, though I did have a reaction to a product that is used for coloring beards some years ago).

I'll tell you this: When I was young, I had no allergies whatsoever. When I hit my mid-30's, I suddenly became allergic to all sorts of things, including penicillin and most other anti-biotics. No telling why this happened. You may be experiencing a similar situation.

Hope you get over the hives soon---they're a real drag, for sure.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    edentowers
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1164
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 07:10:46 (permalink)
    Excedrin is composed of Paracetemol, Aspirin and Caffeine. If you've been a habitual user of the stuff then I wouldn't be surprised if your liver was suffering.

From Wikepedia "As with all medications containing acetaminophen, the use of alcohol with Excedrin carries a significant risk of hepatotoxicity. Additionally, aspirin usage is associated with increased risk of gastrointestinal bleeding."

S8PE, Dell XPS 720 (Q6600), XP Pro SP2, Edirol UA-101
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 08:58:54 (permalink)
    in the future, keep some benedril around. It does wonders for alergic reactions

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    tarsier
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 11:32:18 (permalink)

That's pretty normal for me. But I'm allergic to just about everything. Way back when, I went to the allergist to get tested to find out exactly what. They do the skin prick on the back method where they scratch you with an extract of the various substances to test, then you lie there to see what springs up. After a few minutes, the medical assistant came in to check on me and she let out a "wow! I've never seen anyone react like that!" Very encouraging...

So you name it, I'm probably allergic to it--except shellfish strangely enough. And I carry around benedryl, loratadine, and a couple of epipens which sounds like you should probably do. Maybe not to that extreme, but if you get serious reactions, an epipen can be a literal lifesaver.
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 11:44:12 (permalink)
    Man, get off that sugar before you become a diabetic. Got a good friend that almost killed himself drinking Coca Cola.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 13:03:03 (permalink)
    Man.... sounds bad.... start eating & drinking better....

There's this stuff.... been around forever.... called .... water. try it... it's actually designed to hydrate your body in the perfect way without introducing all the caffine and dyes, and other chemicals..... amazing what it will do for you.

Lay off sugar too.... this is some really bad stuff. For a sweetener, try STEVIA. It's natural and has no sugar or chemicals and it's 600 times sweeter than sugar... and it doesn't do to your body what sugar does. Walmart sells it now as well as GNC.

Avoid all food with transfat or partially hydrogenated oil...don't matter what kind..... don't trust the labeling.... read the ingredient list.... PHO will lead to heart attacks and other issues too.

Just doing these 3 things will do wonders for you.... And they're all natural.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/16 22:00:31 (permalink)
    You know it just occured to me after remembering your flooded basement posts that you might be reacting to mold spores. Have you checked your basement for mold forming? Hives is a first symptom of mold ingestion.

Craig DuBuc
    Ron Vogel
    • Total Posts : 1074
    RE: Covered head to toe in hives 2009/02/17 01:05:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

You know it just occured to me after remembering your flooded basement posts that you might be reacting to mold spores. Have you checked your basement for mold forming? Hives is a first symptom of mold ingestion.

Yeah, it seems like it's clean. I cut a few test squares out of the ceiling in spots where it was stained. The builder put no insulation between the drywall and the trusses, so it probably dried up quick. Everything looks clean so far, but I'm probably pulling down the ceiling anyway to insulate; so I will see for sure then.

Whenever the mold count is high, I get lots of headaches, and really haven't had many lately so I haven't been worried. My wife has though, but she is also 10 weeks pregnant, so we don't know if it's just symptoms from that.

I'm stuck in the past, but my foot's tapping forward 
    Ron Vogel Soundclick page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1