Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic.

Author
LostInStereo
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2011/01/30 22:22:12 (permalink)

Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic.

I'm very new to recording and well i just got myself Sonar X1 and a Blue Yeti USB mic. I have looked all over the place for answers and i just cant find any. I have an Alienware M15x computer. No upgrades or anything. I Plugged the USB mic in and adjusted a few settings here and there, after not getting any playback sound. Turned off the laptop internal mic and turned off the audio output from the USB mic. Adjusted volume levels within Sonar and without. But i still get this awful cracking sound behind everything that is recording. Help.
Running on Windows 7 x64 not sure if that changes anything.
post edited by LostInStereo - 2011/01/30 22:27:40

9 Replies Related Threads

Lanceindastudio
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4604
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 22:31:39 (permalink)
    USB mics can be a problem... I can suggest one thing for now.

Try raising the latency settings in sonar. If you search latency in help, you will find the way to adjust latency settings.

Are you using on board sound card or do you have some kind of audio interface?

I will strongly suggest ditching the usb mic and getting a regular condenser mic and a good interface with good drives.

Check out the following for great results, even at low latency, and they have phantom power an decent preamps so you will be ready to record:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Echo-AudioFire2-FireWire-Audio-Interface?sku=245640

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/M-Audio-Fast-Track-Ultra-8R-USB-Interface?sku=482555

Two mics I suggest that sound good and cost very little:

http://www.pssl.com/MXL-SP1-Condenser-Studio-Microphone-With-Clip
    (only available online, this is the best deal, this mic is surprisingly smooth)

Look at the ECM87 here: Neumann sound, really nice and only $150- plus shipping.
    http://www.gauge-usa.com/

I'm a professional traveled singer, and I think know what you are trying to do... Get some good vocals!

post edited by Lanceindastudio - 2011/01/30 22:46:42

Asus P8Z77-V LE PLUS Motherboard   
    i7 3770k CPU
    32 gigs RAM
    Presonus AudioBox iTwo
    Windows 10 64 bit, SONAR PLATINUM 64 bit
    Lots of plugins and softsynths and one shot samples, loops
    Gauge ECM-87, MCA SP-1, Alesis AM51
    Presonus Eureka
    Mackie HR824's and matching subwoofer
    Fog
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 23:11:31 (permalink)
    http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=1618556

same principles apply. if your playback device isn't decent (i.e. an onboard card) you will more than likely have issues.. get an ASIO based card.. depends on your budget and how many input / outputs you want.

using a mic via a soundcard (xlr or 1/4" jack etc)  is easier in respects (as you don't have to change modes) but people seem to like blaming the mic, when the playback master (your soundcard) is more the issue

cakewalk do interfaces as to many other companies.. I would personally avoid firewire ones due to maybe chipset issues (that seem to crop up here a lot).I use a focusrite saffire 6, which has decent mic inputs as well BUT you would have to get a mic with xlr etc. but then the USB mic would be no use.. so depends on you really, but a soundcard made for music would be a big help.

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/30 23:18:32
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 23:15:26 (permalink)
    Windows treats a USB mic as if it were a soundcard and if you are using ASIO driver mode, you can only have one soundcard so you will have to switch to WDM mode at Edit-Preferences-Audio-Playback and Recording. 

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 23:15:58 (permalink)
    i second,   if you are getting snap crackle and pops in your recording, its most likely latency  is too low. 

open sonar and hit the letter p  to bring up prefs.
    under the audio section look for driver setting  
    little  slider (from left to right) is what you need to adjust. move it to the right a little bit and try again.  slide it over a tad hit apply. then the box will vanish and reappear. hit close.   do that a bit at a time until the clicks stop. then just for good measure slide it one tick more. 
        It is going to add some delay to your headphones the more you add so don't just slam it to the right.
     ;)       

if you are wanting to do professional recordings you MUST get a real mic.
    and look at the room you are recording in as well.     you want it as dead as possible. a fairly full closet of clothes would work if nothing else.   clothes make decent "sound treatment".   get bout 1/2 way in and part the sea of hangers enough for you to have at least elbow lentgh distance before touching anything.  them memory foam rectangle pillows will make sweet absorbers for a new "studio" start up. put one on the wall where you just made the gap and either sing directly facing the  pillow or  at about a 45 degree angle, from pillow  to clothes.  

Kinda fluff the slothes that are pushed back. try to fill the void with spaced hangers. 

if you have a decent usb mic, that will help with the gawd aweful feedback them things can make.   

The roadhorse "all purpose stage/recording mic is the Shure sm57, 48.  Only difference is the windscreen.  The 57 or 48 will make you consistant recordings that you will love.  and they are ot expincive either.  bout $100.  they have the xlr ends and cable so you'd need a xlr / 1/8" adapter if you don't have a interface.
    I got four 48's and a 57 for marshall back in 94 that have seen thier share of the country and they still work and still get recorded.

If you got some $  get a $2-300  condencer mic and a tube mic preamp.  that give your vox that "studio" sound, rather than just a voice recording. imo.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 23:29:07 (permalink)
    daveny5

Windows treats a USB mic as if it were a soundcard and if you are using ASIO driver mode, you can only have one soundcard so you will have to switch to WDM mode at Edit-Preferences-Audio-Playback and Recording. 

you have to set it as MME , not WDM .. I double checked to make sure..

http://samsontech.com/pro...dID=1810&brandID=2

post edited by Fog - 2011/01/30 23:31:05
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/30 23:29:14 (permalink)
    I think siris you mean an SM 58. Very rugged mic. I have had mine since '80 and it still works flawlessly.

And I also agree it's her latency that need adjusting to solve the crackling problem.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    chuckebaby
    • Total Posts : 13146
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/31 00:33:28 (permalink)
    i think the important thing here is to dig your head into the manual..if your just getting into this theres alot to learn.and your going to have so much fun with it,but also many bumps to learning new things.sonar can be a little complex for a first time user of digital audio work stations.but not the most confusing either.it sounds like your problem is a driver setting..hit edit/preferences/driver..or playback,recording options..what does your driver settings say?..by the way...welecome to the forum..and congrads on getting into software recording.
    djtrailmixxx
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 235
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/31 13:40:47 (permalink)
    I think this is a DPC latency issue as well.
    Start by running this DPC latency tool: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml
    Im sure you will see some large spikes.

Laptops can be VERY finicky when it come to working with audio.
    -You will need to disable the wireless adapter on your laptop while you try to record

-Make sure windows only uses your onboard audio device and make sure Sonar is only using the USB interface.

-Power saving features usually wreck system performance. You will need to learn about the BIOS, go in there and disable all of the crap that you do not need like modems, LAN adapters, Bluetooth and especially any CPU throttling stuff like Turbo and what not.

-Make sure you don't have a bunch of useless junk running in the background. Uninstall everything you do not use and disable everything from startup that isn't vital.

There are some decent guides out there. This one is a good one: http://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/downloads/Windows_7_Optimization_Guide_revB.pdf

Sonar Platinum X64 - Win 10 x64 - Intel SB-E 3930 - Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 - 16GB DDR3 - AMD R290X - 4x 1TB SSD RAID 0 (Sys and Data partitions) - 2x UAD2 Quad - 1x UAD2 Octo - UAD Apollo Dual
    siris1977
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 187
    Re:Cracking Audio on Vocal Track With USB Mic. 2011/01/31 21:14:32 (permalink)
    Grem

I think siris you mean an SM 58. Very rugged mic. I have had mine since '80 and it still works flawlessly.

And I also agree it's her latency that need adjusting to solve the crackling problem.

you know, after like 17 of using them suckers I still get'em mixed up.   why don't they just call it amp mic and vox mic?  heh    

thanks for the catch brudder.

Phenom Quad core,  8gb ram, 3.5tb of Fine Music Storage Vault Under Armed Guard w/ UAV support (air-hog chopper), set of MA-15D, Delta 10-10 pci w/interface, m-box 3 pro, projectmix I/O, Metal Pop Filters, Two SKB cases Full of Suck Removal Buttons, Cedar Walls, Stripper Pole (helps with mastering & block priceing) more stuff i'm to lazy to add. ;)
    P.S. good Memory foam is freakin awesome. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1