Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod

Author
Dega
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 67
2010/07/16 13:32:47 (permalink)

Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod

Hi all.  Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction - First the PC specs
P4 Dual Processor 3.2GHz
4GB RAM
Vista Ultimate tweaked down to bare bones
SIIG 800 Firewire Card (NN-830012-S2)
Presonus Firepod
Cakewalk Sonar 8.5

I've been through the troubleshooting tips both here and on the Presonus forums and have been unable to resolve an issue with "static" when I'm playing or recording.  Even projects recorded on my previous machine (far lower specs) which sounded great there are staticy when played back on my new setup.

If I open up Guitar Rig, the static really goes nuts

Is there any Firepod / firewire expert out there willing to take me by the hand and help me resolve this issue?

I would really appreciate any help I can get folks

Thanks
Russell

Russell
________
Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks.
Waylon Jennings

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re:Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod 2010/07/16 13:36:58 (permalink)
    My first guess is that your sample buffer is set to low for your computer's set up.

A larger sample buffer may clear up the static and let you work whilst you search out and eliminate any thing on the system that may be taking up resources.

If you reduce any extra overhead you may be able to find a smaller buffer size will work without dropouts.

good luck,
    mike

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re:Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod 2010/07/16 14:48:43 (permalink)
    Yes to Mike's suggestion.

I had (have) a firepod.  I found ASIO to work best.  I think I had 5-6 ms latency (one way) on a less-well spec'ed machine than yours.  Also, what is the chip set of your firewire card?  TI works best, tho my VIA worked fine.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod 2010/07/16 15:27:01 (permalink)
    yep.... +1

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Dega
    • Total Posts : 67
    Re:Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod 2010/07/16 15:40:58 (permalink)
    It does have the TI chipset and shows up as a Texas Instruments firewire device in Device Manager

Russell
    ________
    Don't ever try and be like anybody else and don't be afraid to take risks.
    Waylon Jennings
    IronSound
    • Total Posts : 61
    Re:Crackle or Static when playing or recording in Sonar 8.5 with Firepod 2010/07/16 17:08:24 (permalink)
    Hello...

I'm using a Presonus Project... Sonar 6 pro and Win 7 64... ASIO... the three most important things I did to correct a similar problem was to 1) Set the Presonus Control to 512 buffer 2) Sonar to 300 buffer 3) Turn off read and write Cache in Sonar (you must exit and restart Sonar for many changes to take effect in the Audio Panel).

Have you Defragged your HardDrives? Was this a clean install of Windows on your HardDrive (due to the new computer hardware)... or did you have Windows find and overwrite existing device drivers on to the same HardDrive, from your "OLD SETUP"?

Of course there are many things to look at and adjust in the Bios, software, and hardware... and without nick picking on them all at this time... let me know if this helped or not... I will check back soon...

Have a Great Audio Life...
    post edited by IronSound - 2010/07/16 17:24:10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1