Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix.

Author
JoanMichele
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 49
2010/07/08 18:59:54 (permalink)

Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix.

So suddenly one day, CWMC4 decided to spaz out and give out cracking and out of sync audio in everything I load. It won't even let me change the audio settings. What do I do to fix this? Keep in mind that it was working fine up until today. My older copy of Music Creator 2004 plays audio fine so I know that it's a software issue.

15 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/08 20:37:40 (permalink)
    Check System restore.
    Does it show an event yesterday or today?
    Sometimes, updates from Microsoft can have odd effects on software. For a while, they were hitting my sound card drivers fairly regularly.
    I usually restore to that point, or slightly earlier, and that usually sorts out much of the odd behavior.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    JoanMichele
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/08 20:46:21 (permalink)
    Apparently there's a windows update that I wasn't aware about.
    JoanMichele
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/08 23:11:44 (permalink)
    I decided instead to update the audio drivers, that didn't help. I am considering just reinstalling CWMC4

EDIT: Nope, doesn't work, also the wave profiling is completely screwed.
    post edited by JoanMichele - 2010/07/08 23:25:51
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/08 23:49:41 (permalink)
    How is it screwed up? It doesn't work, or what?
    What are your settings in Options>Audio? In and Out Drivers, Playback and Recording Timing Masters, Sampling Rate, Bit Depth, Buffers In Playback Queue, I/O Buffers.
    Also, what are the sound card's settings for Sampling Rate and Bit Depth?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    JoanMichele
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/09 02:38:17 (permalink)
    Normally the program would profile the drive mode on startup when it has changed, but I had to go to the audio and click on okay before it starts profiling, and it didn't make a difference regardless of what settings I used. Before hand I also got this message saying that there is an error applying the audio settings, and asks me if I want to try again.  There is still that crackling. The In/Out settings got cleared out almost completely too.

Card settings are at 16-bit, 44100Hz as far as I can remember.

I would also like to point out that this is pretty unique to the program, my other audio programs, including Music Creator 2004 worked fine.
    post edited by JoanMichele - 2010/07/09 02:41:34
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/09 05:39:03 (permalink)
    When un-install, before re-install, try deleting the folders where the software installed.

Otherwise, a re-install wants to use previous settings.

Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/09 07:47:57 (permalink)
    greg asked this above and you haven't answered all of the questions:

What are your settings in Options>Audio? In and Out Drivers, Playback and Recording Timing Masters, Sampling Rate, Bit Depth, Buffers In Playback Queue, I/O Buffers.

your latency settings are probably too low, we need to know the answers to those questions.

also I don't see where you told us what soundcard you're using.  are you using your onboard soundcard?

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/09 08:12:38 (permalink)
    You need to answer the questions Beagle & greg asked before you go through the trouble and time of a reinstall.

The sound card is very important. What are you using?  

I have seen many people come here with the same exact story you are telling..... answer the questions and that will give us a better idea as to what might be happening.

sometimes it is a windows update but usually not.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    NoKey
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 974
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/09 11:45:33 (permalink)
    Guitarhacker

You need to answer the questions Beagle & greg asked before you go through the trouble and time of a reinstall.

The sound card is very important. What are you using?  

I have seen many people come here with the same exact story you are telling..... answer the questions and that will give us a better idea as to what might be happening.

sometimes it is a windows update but usually not.

Good questions; clear since the start.

The suggestion on deleting folders addresses his having already un-installed, re-installed with no difference in results.
    JoanMichele
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 06:13:46 (permalink)
    Sound Card is Realtek HD Audio, not sure what model, make or variation it is.

The input drivers are Stereo Mix, Line In, Digital In and Microphone, all for Realtek HD Audio. The output drivers are Speakers (Realtek HD Audio), Realtek Digital Output and Roland VSC.
    Playback timing master is the speakers.
    Record timing master is stereo mix.
    Sampling rate and bit depth is at 44100Hz/16-bit
    Buffers in playback queue is at 4 and I/O buffer is at 128kB

I should also note that during playback, notes are being dropped left and right, and the crackling is more of a series of clicks. Increasing the buffer size from 100ms to 300 ms reduces the frequency of the clicks, but a lot of the notes still got dropped. Simillar story when decreasing the buffer size, clicks increase in frequency, notes still get dropped.
    post edited by JoanMichele - 2010/07/10 06:22:27
    JoanMichele
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 06:31:15 (permalink)
    ....Okay guys, you are not going to believe this, but it magically started to work after I fiddled around with the metronome settings. After enabling the audio metronome for both playback and recording, and setting the output to None, I am able to get proper sounds.

I feel pretty stupid now.
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 10:35:43 (permalink)
    OK........ hmmmmm? 

If it's working... that's cool.

Usually, the clicking can be mitigated by increasing the latency and the buffers to a certain point. To far in the other direction causes problems too.  I never heard the metronome settings solve an issue like this..... but.... if it works now....very good.

Generally speaking..... the factory Realtec card is NOT a good card to use for recording. It is not designed to handle the massive amount of real time data processing needed by MC5.  Some people can get it to work OK, and it tends to work better on audio as opposed to midi & synths. I can recall only a few people in my time here that were able to record with satisfaction on a factory card. Perhaps you are one of them now.....!

Most of us here have upgraded to an external interface (aka a sound card) that is  music/recording specific. Latency is very low, processing of synths is superb, and they allow one to work unencumbered while recording and mixing. 

BMI/NSAI

Robomusic
    • Total Posts : 8943
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 11:16:53 (permalink)
    Herb is right on here. Sure you can get some success with the realtek card, but it will cause problems from time to time. Crackling should not be fixed by the audio metronome. That is like the radio fixing a transmission problem.

If you are crackling there are several options. The synth you are using to playback the midi is overloading the sound card drivers. Or the hard drive is to full and there is little room to write the audio or data. The hard drive may need a defrag so the information is not scattered.

Also the line in stereo mix, and so forth are not drivers, then are options in the sound cards mixer. Drivers are things that well drive the card, you will have options like MME and WDM. One that might help the realtek card is called ASIO4All google it and see what you find.

Ultimately before you have a ton of success, and most of these issues fade away you need a true recording interface or card. If you have a laptop, then a good USB interface will be best, If it is a desktop that will also work or a nice PCI card like a M-Audio 24/96 will solve tons of problems.

I'd Seize the day but i can't quite reach it!

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?AID=33477&T=1260
    Music Town
    Guitarhacker
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 11:35:06 (permalink)
    Beagle has a web site where he has posted quite a bit of info that you might find helpful in researching sound cards that are designed to work well for recording and playback in real time.

Before you spend money... it would not hurt one bit to discuss your thoughts on cards here in this forum. I have seen several times where people took the advice to upgrade the sound card, and headed to the local big box retailer without researching their needs and bought an "upgraded" sound card only to find out that it was still a fancy factory gamer card and not a recording sound card...they had to carry it back for a refund and go to a music store to buy the right one.

BMI/NSAI

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:Crackling audio, reboot does nothing to fix. 2010/07/10 12:22:32 (permalink)
    It's possible that when using the MIDI metronome (which must use a soft synth if you're not using MME driver mode and the Windows GS Wavetable synth as your MIDI device), the soft synth used up too much of the processor's power, causing these audio glitches.
    Anyway, I'm glad you got it fixed... and really, think about getting a better audio interface designed for recording (not a Sound Blaster). You can expect to spend about $100 for a good one. But don't go all crazy and get the latest $800 Focusrite with 26 inputs, because MC 5 can only accept 2 simultaneous inputs, either 2 mono or 1 stereo.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1