Crash & burn

Author
Jpok1000
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 181
2009/07/17 19:57:36 (permalink)

Crash & burn

I am so so gutted today after my Cakewalk Sonar 8 Producer crashed on me for the fist time in the three months that I have had it To make matters worse not only did it crash it also deleted all my auto save files, & I've been working on my latest project for more then a week now! What I'm wanting to know is has this happened to any of you guys out there & if so what do you think was the possible courses?

System details:

Packard Bell I-media x
Microsoft Windows Vista 32Bit
Realtek High Definition Audio sound card
Intel Pentum core 2 quad processor
EDIROL PCR 300 midi controller
3 gig of RAM
500 gig HDD

22 Replies Related Threads

Crg
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/17 20:55:33 (permalink)
    What were you doing when it crashed?

Craig DuBuc
    daveny5
    • Total Posts : 16934
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/17 21:21:17 (permalink)
    No way it deleted autosave files. It might have overwritten it, but it wouldn't delete it.

Dave
    Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
    Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
    Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
    Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
    Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
    gudu
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/17 21:36:15 (permalink)
    I'm on Vista x64 / Sonar x64. My main cause for instability has been Rapture 64. I had a project with about 6 Dim Pro instannces and 3 Rapture instances that crashed on me on every session. Never had problems before with 8 until I bought the full version of Rapture. Reinstalled everything from scratch to make sure everything fine - up to latest 1.2.1 Rapture patch - to no avail. Consistent crashdumps with Rapture.dll every time the culprit.

I have replaced one of my Rapture tracks with a Native instrument electric piano patch, and froze another rapture track into audio. That has already made my crash rate much lower - however it still happens. I'm going to keep on experimenting with freezing the remaining Rapture tracks to see how it behaves, but at least for me, it seems Rapture 64 bit (full version) is giving me most of my headaches. When it crashes, most of the time my auto-save files are truncated, rendering them useless for recovery of your work - I've learned to save very often over the last few weeks. I'm going to avoid Rapture in my upcoming projects until a future update comes out - too bad 'cause I really like that synth.

Don't know if you are using Rapture - just wanted to share my experience.

Cheers,
    ~G
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:20:43 (permalink)
    I copying & pasting a midi file just as I pasted it bang it crashed on me The plugins that I was using on that particular project at the time was Dimension LE, Rapture, Firebird & Triangle 2. I cannot for the likes of me find the auto save files, I have even done an entire deep file scan of my computer to find that file but nothing. I really cannot understand what why it did it
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:23:48 (permalink)
    I've been working on my latest project for more then a week now

A hard lesson on why you need to save a back up copy after every single session you do in sonar. In this day and age, no one should be losing files. Just back up onto an external hard drive or CD/DVD
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:34:49 (permalink)
    Can you set up an auto save to have it save it to a rewritable CD???? Also what are the most possible courses of crashes with Sonar8?
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:39:13 (permalink)
    Can you set up an auto save to have it save it to a rewritable CD????

No, and you dont want a machine deciding when to back-up your projects. Im not talking about saves anyway. Back-ups!! . All you do is when your done for the day or session, you plug a usb hard drive or insert a cd or dvd and do a save as. It takes less than a minute.
    You should really have 3 copies of every project.
    2 copies on 2 different hard drives kept at home and one copy on a hard drive or on cd's or dvds kept at work in case of fire or theft.
    Also what are the most possible courses of crashes with Sonar8?

Impossible to answer. But improper hardware is a main cause
    post edited by CJaysMusic - 2009/07/18 07:40:27

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:46:20 (permalink)
    I've been able to rely on auto save up until now, but I don't think I will be relying on it again in the future... I still can't believe it deleted my work I'm gutted as I was on to something good. Are well lesson learnt I suppose!
    CJaysMusic
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 07:49:08 (permalink)
    I've been able to rely on auto save up until now

Auto save is NOT backing up. You've been able to rely on not backing up, because you never lost anything. That's like me saying i got away with robbing a bank until i got caught...Auto save wont help with corrupted project files. Just back up. auto save is not backing up. Its 2 different things completely.

Audio Blog
    dbmusic
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1150
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 08:21:21 (permalink)
    Catastrophic crashes like you're suggesting are most likely a hardware issue. Now it is possible that if you experience a crash the precise moment an auto-save is being executed, you may experience file corruption. But disappearing files point to a sector corruption of your hard drive. The possibility is remote, but it does happen.

As CJ is encouraging, nothing beats a good frequent backup policy. Crap happens with computers. That's just a fact. Sorry you had to learn the hard way.

Best regards,

DB

DB Music

SoundClick
    OurStage
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 12:57:29 (permalink)
    I cannot for the likes of me find the auto save files, I have even done an entire deep file scan of my computer to find that file but nothing.

You are saying autosave files (plural). That would indicate that you lost not just the latest file, but files from other projects as well. Are you using versioning? While you might easily corrupt the current file if a write was in progress when the program stopped, it is likely that you would still have an entry in the index, and an unreadable file that you could still find. To lose several files (only one of which presumably was open) from a program crash is really bizarre. How are you searching for your autosave files?
    jrmunday
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 302
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 14:11:47 (permalink)
    Hi, after some disasters in the past I do 'save as' after each days sessions.
    However, a couple of months ago I lost the entire directory where all my current projects are kept on the audio drive.
    I had a backup so was not that bothered but this worried me so I set both drives to error check on start up. Voila, the directory re-appeared albeit with some tmp files but all project files plus autosaves were there.
    I wonder if, for some reason, a cpu spike and dump corrupted your registry etc making them invisible to Windows for now?
    Worth having a go and it won't harm your system.
    John

CbB, Splat, HP Pavillion i5, Win 10 64bit, 6G ram, Scarlett 8i6, Kontakt 5 plus a shed load of hardware, synths & guitars collected over 50 years.
    slartabartfast
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 15:55:01 (permalink)
    Before I would try any automatic error recovery (chkdsk etc.) I would do a very diligent manual search for the files NOT USING SONAR. The scenario described makes it much more likely that Sonar has lost track of where the files should be, than that the files themselves were actually lost/destroyed/corrupted. Ideally you should not write anything to the disk until you have exhausted all recovery possibilities. Chkdsk can recover lost files if the problem is a corrupted index, but it is also capable of doing some damage on its own during repair operations. In no event should you use the same name as the lost project for a new project, or revert to a previous version of the same project using the same name, as this increases the chance that the lost files will be overwritten as well as making finding them more difficult. When it is time to give up all hope of recovering the files, chkdsk is worth a try.
    Crg
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 18:22:49 (permalink)
    What's Firebird? Some third person effect or Synth? Some of you guys just pile any synth or effect you find into a project without seeing if they work together first. Your computers abilities aren't infinite. At some point two different - competing plugins are going to ask for the same paths in your computers memory address's and hardware and your computer is not going to have the answer, because... the two plugin entities have not worked out the paths with your DAW host and your computer has no information on how to accomadate them both. Why do you think DAW host programs come with approved plugins?
    ORIGINAL: Jpok1000

I copying & pasting a midi file just as I pasted it bang it crashed on me The plugins that I was using on that particular project at the time was Dimension LE, Rapture, Firebird & Triangle 2. I cannot for the likes of me find the auto save files, I have even done an entire deep file scan of my computer to find that file but nothing. I really cannot understand what why it did it

Craig DuBuc
    slartabartfast
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 18:46:11 (permalink)
    What's Firebird?

Sounds like the fence is down at the Mozilla project.

The Firefox has mated with the Thunderbird.
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 19:27:16 (permalink)
    Well all very helpful possibility's there & I shall keep it all in mind. However I will definitely be saving my work regularly to RW disc from now on. I ran a disc error check on my HDD but nothing to worry about there. At the end of the day I think it was just one of them things that happens every now & again. PS FireBird is virtual synth from a company called Tone2. It's a very handy virtual instrument to have.
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 19:53:52 (permalink)
    Have you done all the required Vista Tweaks for your machine. See link below:

http://www.audioforums.com/windows-vista-optimization.php

Some plug ins can cause problems. I have found a great little plugin that emulates a Roland Space echo rather well on the VST Planet site. But it crashes Sonar if you attempt to use it on a stereo track or buss. Works OK in mono. So its not a bad plugin as such just a situation which works one way but not another.
    Have you got any cracks on your system.? They can cause all sorts of grief too.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2009/07/18 19:54:56

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Crg
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 19:54:21 (permalink)
    LMAO
    ORIGINAL: slartabartfast

What's Firebird?

Sounds like the fence is down at the Mozilla project.

The Firefox has mated with the Thunderbird.

Craig DuBuc
    Crg
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 19:55:26 (permalink)
    Are you sure?

Well all very helpful possibility's there & I shall keep it all in mind. However I will definitely be saving my work regularly to RW disc from now on. I ran a disc error check on my HDD but nothing to worry about there. At the end of the day I think it was just one of them things that happens every now & again. PS FireBird is virtual synth from a company called Tone2. It's a very handy virtual instrument to have.

Craig DuBuc
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 19:59:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Crg

Are you sure?

I'm I sure what???
    Crg
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 20:04:39 (permalink)
    Are you sure Firebird is good plugin? Are you sure it isn't crashing your projects? Are you sure it isn't a virus in disguise? Are you sure you're in contact with them? Have you contacted them?

ORIGINAL: Crg

Are you sure?

I'm I sure what???

Craig DuBuc
    Jpok1000
    RE: Crash & burn 2009/07/18 20:19:21 (permalink)
    Well I have scanned all the plugin files with Kaspersky internet security & it's found nothing. I can't say I remember having problems with this software before now & it has fairly good ratings. I'm also using it again in a project that I've started tonight & I'm not having any problems. I will just have to keep an eye on the Midi & audio that I use from now on & disregard of anything that I feel is being problematic.
    post edited by Jpok1000 - 2009/07/18 20:21:10
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1