Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries

Author
smallstonefan
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2724
2015/10/12 22:35:26 (permalink)

Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries

Hi all,
After scoring the great deal on Loop Lofts All Midi Pack I set out to figure out how to get them into BFD 3- working with raw midi files just ain't my cup of tea.

I've outlined the steps below. While I was doing this with Loop Loft, any 3rd party MIDI drum library should work as long as the MIDI files are real files and not buried in some proprietary format like EZ Drummer does.

It was a hassle to figure out, and it is taking many hours to do, but it's completely worth it. I hope you find this helpful...

1. Display the Groove Editor and choose File > Batch Import BFD1 Groove or MIDI.

2. Browse and find your loop folder and click Select Folder. This will import MIDI files found in the folder, and all sub-folders. You could do this for the top level folder and get them all if you want. In the face of Loop Loft, I did this for each sub-folder in Loop Loft, so I could work in batches.

3. Choose General Midi for the Import MIDI Map unless you have a specific reason to do otherwise. click Import to import the MIDI files.

4. Click the Library button to open the list of Libraries on your computer. You will find an Imported library. Choose that.

5. You won't see any pallets - so click the item that says (Groove outside Palette).

6. You will see all of the imported MIDI files in the Grooves window.

7. Here is where it gets tricky. For each palette you want to create, you will have to follow these steps. Notice in the figure below - I am creating a palette for the Angular midi files. I selected them using shift in the Grooves window, and then I drag them to the Palette on the right. Depending on the MIDI files, you may have to do this in pieces to get the proper order. This is because larger numbered libraries will have file10 come before file2 due to the alphabetical sort.

8. Next, choose File > Save Groove Palette...

9. Change the file name to be the Palette name (not the library). 

10. You will be prompted to confirm changing the palette name to match the file name. Choose Yes. 

11. Now, browse in Windows Explorer to where you saved the palette file. Turns out it's just a text file - much like an XML file. Open it with Notepad. In the figure below, I highlighted the fields you need to edit. The library and library long tags can be set the same - this is the name of the library. You could just say "Loop Loft", for example, but I like to use Libraries for each of the actual MIDI sets. When BFD finds palettes with the same library name, it shows them as palettes in the same library (I think I'm being redundant here). For MIDI that is not in 4/4, you will have to change the 2nd appearance of the time signature.

12. For clean-up, I then reselect the MIDI files I just used to make the palette then right-click and choose Remove from database. When asked if you want to delete the files, go ahead and say yes. When you imported them, the files were copied so you are deleting copies. Now that you have a palette, you don't need the files because the palette contains all MIDI data.

13. Next, shift-click to select all the grooves in the palette on the right, right-click, and then choose Clear selected grooves. You are now at a state to repeat the steps to create and save the next palette.

14. I personally like to move the palette files from My Documents\BFD\... to the same place I installed commercial libraries for back-up purposes. Once I move the files, I go into the content locations and refresh all content.

It's tedious, but it's great to have all of my loops in BFD format! :)

8 Replies Related Threads

rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/12 22:46:03 (permalink)
    Hi James,

That was a lot of work! Thank You for sharing.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    smallstonefan
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/12 23:37:20 (permalink)
    You're welcome! :)
    lawajava
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2040
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 00:13:57 (permalink)
    I nominate this for the Best Post of the Week! Award.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    TheSteven
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2037
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 01:29:09 (permalink)
    Nice job!
    Appreciate you sharing your hard work!

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils" Loius-Hector Berlioz

www.AgitatedState.com MenuMagic - plug-in management powertools!
    My Tunes
    bapu
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 09:28:14 (permalink)
    I do appreciate it James. Thanks.
    smallstonefan
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 10:14:36 (permalink)
    Glad to contribute to this awesome community!
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 10:26:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for this.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    gmon72
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1052
    Re: Creating BFD Palettes for 3rd Party Loop Libraries 2015/10/13 11:28:52 (permalink)
    Thanks - my BFD OCD will make me convert everything as well!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1