Creating a recorded click track??

Author
basstracker7769
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 51
2007/02/05 16:49:27 (permalink)

Creating a recorded click track??

hey i want to create a click track one that is recorded to its own track with out going out through the audio outs and audio ins I know i can engage a click to sound during recording and playing but i want to put one down on its own track so when im time aligning things i can match it up to this recorded click
Any one know if this can be done
I have Sonar producer 6.2 installed

26 Replies Related Threads

torhan
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4271
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/05 16:54:05 (permalink)
    You can use a soft-synth like TTS. Pick a drum sound (or similar) and create a 1-measure midi clip with quarter notes. Then, you can Bounce to audio, turn into a Groove-Clip, and drag-out as far as needed.

Sonar Platinum
    Premier Tracks
    ASCAP
    xohol
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 342
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/05 17:59:27 (permalink)
    i would like a function to bounce the built in audio click.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/05 19:01:03 (permalink)

Why?

Best
    John
    altima_boy_2001
    Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2033
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/05 21:10:13 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: xohol

Alternative: Create a click track with midi and soft synth and then save it as a track template. Then just import track template, bounce, and delete whenever it's needed.

I don't know how metronome routing takes place under the covers, but it seems that it would be simple to add another button to allow the metronome to be included in any bounce or export. There seems to be a lot of posts on here asking for it....
    CP
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 00:35:56 (permalink)
    Turn on snap to grid and set it to 1/4 notes. Go to the cakewalk folder for metronome and pull out the sound you want. Place them to make 1 bar. Bounce to groove clip. Drag as far as you need. That's how I do it and I do it all the time.
    Staccato
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 02:08:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: basstracker7769

hey i want to create a click track one that is recorded to its own track with out going out through the audio outs and audio ins I know i can engage a click to sound during recording and playing but i want to put one down on its own track so when im time aligning things i can match it up to this recorded click
    Any one know if this can be done
    I have Sonar producer 6.2 installed

I'll offer a suggestion that is more work, but also, alot more FUN, gives you practice, and informative/educational, especially since by your UID, you play Bass. (with a captal B):

Sound the Audio Metronome at the desired tempo, and record a Bass track just playing notes, any old note, along with the click. (if you add Bass syncopation here, it will show up in the final click, this is a custom click track, could be a real rocker, not for the faint of heart) Activate Audio Snap on the Bass track, filter out and/or disable undesired transients. Highlight the Bass clip, and do a "extract timing". This copies MIDI notes (the same note/velocity value) to the clipboard at the exact times you played Bass notes.

Highlight a MIDI track, set the NOW time to the first Bass note, and PASTE the contents of the clipboard. You now have a custom MIDI track that can be quantized and fed to a soft synth, TTS-1. Of course you may just do a shorter clip, and later groove-clip it.

Too much fun....or too much time on my hands?

Play On.
    ooblecaboodle
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2102
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 08:36:15 (permalink)
    I must admit I've never used the built-in metronome in Sonar. I always prefer to have a visual click-track to edit to. Maybe this stems from years of recording without a metronome, or in RADAR, or from Sonar not having a built in metronome for so long, I don't know.

but the way I do it in Sonar is as follows, I have groove clips saved for various time signatures, so when I want a click, I just drag it to a new track, and loop.
    Although, more and more of the time, we use BFD stereo in Sonar as a click-track. Seems most musicians prefer a drum sound to an annoying click or beep!
    xohol
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 10:50:06 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John

Why?

Because i record to the Cakewalk audio metrodome, and my drummer specifically is used to that sound. During live performance, our drummer is fed a click, along with all of the keyboard sounds. i would like to be able to bounce a stem of the Cakewalk click to his monitor feed. i currently use drum samples, but he likes the cakewalk beep thing better.

thanks,
    Q
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 12:15:02 (permalink)
    Because i record to the Cakewalk audio metrodome, and my drummer specifically is used to that sound. During live performance, our drummer is fed a click, along with all of the keyboard sounds. i would like to be able to bounce a stem of the Cakewalk click to his monitor feed. i currently use drum samples, but he likes the cakewalk beep thing better.

thanks,
    Q

Ah, I see.
    So I presume you're not taking the synth outputs from sonar, but from some alternative machine, as backing tracks, and to feed to your drummer's monitoring?
    BUT, when you export mixes from sonar, you don't get the click-track?

How's about you try this?

Route the metronome to a bus, then when you export your mix, choose Buses as your source. Select your main bus, AND the bus the metronome is routed to. This should give you two stereo files, one for the main bus, and one for the metronome bus.
    It might not work, but it should be worth a try.
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 13:31:04 (permalink)
    Because i record to the Cakewalk audio metrodome, and my drummer specifically is used to that sound. During live performance, our drummer is fed a click, along with all of the keyboard sounds. i would like to be able to bounce a stem of the Cakewalk click to his monitor feed. i currently use drum samples, but he likes the cakewalk beep thing better. thanks, Q

Darn good reply. I never use it so I can't help much. But if you have any hardware synths you can us them to be your sound source and record that.

Hope you find a good way to do what you need.

Or get another drummer!

Best
    John
    basstracker7769
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 17:36:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John

Why?

Best
    John

First of all its a very important function if your editing i use the click track to line up other tracks its the reason i posted it in the first place>
    That is a very useful function to bounce the click track ive never seen a DAW have it at least not the ones ive used and some were older versions
    But yes Cakewalk you should put that feature in, it may not be the flashy feature some of the stuff you have but its very useful. I dont want to have to use a metronome and record, play bass notes or use a soft synth i wanna pick a tempo, record the click track and get on to the tracking of the song. By the way those who cant play to a straight click sound typically have timing issues. I was schooled on a metronome through all my years having bass guitar lessons. The only thing that i worry about with a click is that it bleeds quite often more then most sounds.
    CP
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 693
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/06 23:59:42 (permalink)
    Please see my post above - you'll use the cakewalk click sounds (you choose which) and quickly make your own custom audio click track.
    Staccato
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/07 03:02:46 (permalink)
    We'll soon learn when to respond, and when to let suffer, some just don't appreciate the intentions of the underdog.

Play On.
    basstracker7769
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/07 18:28:16 (permalink)
    Thanks CP i will try it, it seems to be the quickest of options, and to all others i do understand there are other options Ive tried lots of ur suggestions before I just believe there should be that option of bouncing the click to an audio track. Like i said its not a common one amongst DAWs I guess how things advance minor simple things get forgotten.
    I will follow up with CPs suggestion and if that works, seems others can use the same approach
    DonM
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4129
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/07 18:35:11 (permalink)
    Was it hear where I recently read that Mutt Lange (sp?) uses 16 tracks of click and creates a composite..... to each his own!

-D

pdlstl
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 991
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/07 20:16:18 (permalink)
    I feel ya' my brother...

This was my thread on this.

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.asp?m=900344&mpage=1&key=󛳸
    xohol
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/09 10:49:11 (permalink)
    Turn on snap to grid and set it to 1/4 notes. Go to the cakewalk folder for metronome and pull out the sound you want. Place them to make 1 bar. Bounce to groove clip. Drag as far as you need. That's how I do it and I do it all the time.

definatly good if the tempo doesn't change. i often have many tempo changes, such as bumping up the chorus 2-3 bpm (gives things such as a chorus a little lift). plus my compositions have varius tempo changes.

what format are the built in cakewalk sounds? i guess i could pull them into a sampler and make a midi track.
    ooblecaboodle
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/09 12:55:59 (permalink)
    definatly good if the tempo doesn't change. i often have many tempo changes, such as bumping up the chorus 2-3 bpm (gives things such as a chorus a little lift). plus my compositions have varius tempo changes.

what format are the built in cakewalk sounds? i guess i could pull them into a sampler and make a midi track.

Actually, Tempo changes won't make a difference. Groove clips follow project tempo and key changes.
    xohol
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/09 13:02:39 (permalink)
    Actually, Tempo changes won't make a difference. Groove clips follow project tempo and key changes.

i think groove clips sound phasey when you change the tempo on things like clicks. i get pulsing in the volume.
    bassmanbrummy
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2007/02/19 12:54:44 (permalink)

So i dont see anything that say Groove clip, and when i do bounce it to a new track and then hit groove to clip it mess up the timing and throws everything off can someone help me/??
    wilbil
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 11:44:26 (permalink)
    All of a sudden I no longer  have my Audio Metrodome working. In the property window nothing is listed, Hi Ping, Woodblock etc. Tried doing a search for those sounds but couldn't find them. Everyting is check properly but no sound. Any Ideas?

You can see & hear more
    about me at
    http://www.willkruger.com/
    wilbil
    • Total Posts : 59
    Re: RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 11:47:07 (permalink)
    With the 64bit version of 8.5 Pro none of my third party FX are listed. None of the Sony FX from Sound Forge 10 64bit are listed as well. Any Ideas?

You can see & hear more
    about me at
    http://www.willkruger.com/
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 13:24:31 (permalink)
    The metronome needs the grooveplayer.dll synth. Given that you aren't seeing all your plugins, it sounds like your x64 install is looking at the wrong Vstplugins folder(s).

Go to Tools > Plugin Manager, and make sure all the paths to the various Vstplugins folders on your system are included in the scan path (e.g. both Program Files\Cakewalk\Vstplugins and Program Files x86\Cakewalk\Vstplugins). You may also have 3rd-party stuff that installed to its own VSTplugins folder in the relevant program directory that you need to add to the scan paths.
    Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 16:57:03 (permalink)
    Wow 2007!
    You should have started a new thread. 
    You might need to make sure you used all your disks when you installed Sonar. Might not have installed all your plugs

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Frank Basile
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 466
    Re:Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 22:04:19 (permalink)
    Hi,

You can download a whole bunch of different click-track loops for free here...  http://www.smartloops.com/Free/  Just pick the one that works best for the song you're working on, drag it or Import it onto a track, and drag it out for as many bars as you need. Done.

-Frank
    Live Multi-Track Drums for your Cakewalk Projects... http://www.LiveStudioDrums.com/
    DonaldDuck
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 789
    RE: Creating a recorded click track?? 2010/11/19 22:16:47 (permalink)
    xohol

Me too.  I currently do the output to input using a SPDIF cable and record the click track.  My Drummer likes the Sonar metronome since beat 1 per measure is different than the others.  It makes it easy for him to play on.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1