Creating "backup" song tracks.

Author
fireberd
Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3704
2017/02/22 17:18:48 (permalink)

Creating "backup" song tracks.

I was asked, by a singer friend, if I could create two backup song tracks for her.  I've mixed down a couple of tracks for her off of a CD project I did for her, just eliminated the vocal track from the mix, but never tried tracking specifically for backup.

I downloaded the songs she wanted and changed them to the keys she wanted using my Karaoke program.  I then started making the individual tracks using the song as reference, so everything would be in sync for vocals.  I did the Drum track using drum pads on my Alesis SR-16 drum machine.  I tracked bass, Pedal steel guitar, rhythm and lead guitar.  I didn't particularly like the mixed "backup" tracks but the singer was happy with them (which I guess what counts).

"GCSG Productions"
Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
ISRC Registered
Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.

3 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Creating "backup" song tracks. 2017/02/24 02:43:34 (permalink)
    So you basically made a Karaoke track. 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Slugbaby
    Max Output Level: -33.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4172
    Re: Creating "backup" song tracks. 2017/02/24 08:52:55 (permalink)
    Can't you BUY karaoke tracks?  Seems like an awful lot of work to recreate something that's already there...

http://www.MattSwiftMusic.com

Dell i5, 16Gb RAM, Focusrite 2i2 IO, Telecasters, P-bases, Personal Drama for a muse.
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Creating "backup" song tracks. 2017/02/24 12:24:31 (permalink)
    There wasn't any commercial Karaoke tracks available for these two (gospel) songs. 
    I didn't actually make a "Karaoke" track as I don't have the software to create the lyric track (or at least what I consider a "Karaoke" track).  Just a "backup" track.

I wouldn't do this on a commercial basis.  Just did the two for a friend.  But, it was a challenge to see if I could do it.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1