Creating pitched resonators

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2018/02/18 10:47:28 (permalink)

Creating pitched resonators

I made this video recently to show how to make a resonator and add some ambient drones to your music. Its interesting because it sounds almost like reverb, but of course it's pitched. Check it out and tell me what you think.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

9 Replies Related Threads

Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/18 11:29:27 (permalink)
    Melda should pay you. Nice video as always. The final result was lovely.

Chandler
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/23 02:41:52 (permalink)
    Thanks. I’m glad people are enjoying this one. I only used guitar for this, but it works well for other sources too.

My Youtube page
    Chandler
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/23 02:41:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. I’m glad people are enjoying this one. I only used guitar for this, but it works well for other sources too.

My Youtube page
    Kamikaze
    Max Output Level: -45 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3013
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/23 02:59:09 (permalink)
    Hi, I'm back.

I searched youtube for Melda's granulator, and your grain clouds was the second video. I would have sworn you had a video on granulator fx, but I think I just started watching granular synthases videos after watching your grain clouds a few months back.  

It sounded great on guitar, I think your Indian emulation was great example. I can see it wring well with tuned percussion like chromophone,  

Chandler
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/24 23:24:53 (permalink)
    Thanks. With chromophone it would be great. String studio would be awesome too. The sitar and tambura emulations are pretty good. I usually don’t write ambient music, but I want to try one now.

My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/25 02:06:59 (permalink)
    Got some questions for you. There are  two versions of the free Melda FX.  One is where you download and install the free effects entirely for free.

The other is what I think you have, which is you pay 49 Euro (which is currently $69 US) to extend the features of the totally free effects.

Are you sure you are not using some aspects of the paid version of the free effects which is what you are using here? Just be mindful of this that is all.

My version of the totally free MComb is not the same as the one shown here.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/25 20:20:41 (permalink)
    Chandler is using the paid pro upgrade for the free plugins here so essentially these plugins are not free. But the price does seem reasonable.

I contacted Melda and asked them what the advantages are of the paid version of the free plugins and here is what they said:

But here are the advantages of the upgrading:

- You can change size and style of the plugins.
    - You can access the sonogram feature in the analyzers and equalizers.
    - You can manipulate (save, load, organise) your own presets.
    - Most plugins can perform upsampling which minimizes aliasing, therefore it is useful to improve sound quality.
    - The plugins will not display the big red reminder box with our clickable logo at the bottom of every GUI.

Your video is good though like always and I found some very interesting and cool ideas in there for sure. Thanks for posting. I think the price for the upgrade is very reasonable considering how many initial free plugins there are. Great way to get into Melda stuff and see how they perform etc..

Just out of interest for those who want more detail on how MComb works there is a rather detailed pdf here:

https://www.meldaproduction.com/download/documentation/MComb.pdf

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2018/02/25 21:58:22

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/26 03:00:36 (permalink)
    Jeff - Thanks as always. I am using the upgraded version, but I don't think I'm using any special features(perhaps I resized it). What I show in the video doesn't need any modulators/upsampling, etc and you don't need to save any presets. I believe everything can be done using only MComb, besides the MTurboreverb stuff, but you can do something similar with the reverb of your choice.

The upgrade is worth it IMO. Once you dig into the Melda plugins you realize how many different things you can do with them and for me that often opens up new ideas or saves me time.                                                   

My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Re: Creating pitched resonators 2018/02/26 04:03:51 (permalink)
    Yes I was only using three free plugins.  (and not upgraded either)  In the end I just got the upgrade and installed all 32 of them!! I agree very nice and some wonderful stuff in there for a very modest price I agree.  Plenty to explore for months to come!

Your video is cool.  I like the resonant effect and the fact certain notes just hang in there and create a very surreal reverb like effect.  It will be interesting to try that on some very rich harmonic material like complex synth textures too.  Looking forward to that.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1