Credit Card warning...

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
2009/02/18 20:24:43 (permalink)

Credit Card warning...

Well, somehow or another...somebody got my credit card number again, (yep...second time) and did nasty things with it.

First time it was picked up in Miami International Airport when I bought a book.... the swiper was "broken" and they rolled the card..... this time, the credit card company somehow or another screwed up and let the number be compromised in a way, that only they know.

I am very cautious with my cards and only use them on secured sites and "black out" the numbers (if they show) on the merchant's copy in stores & resturants....and don't let anyone roll the card. But my credit card company sent me a new card...with a letter that my card "might have been" compromised...sounds like they screwed up, and knew that my number was compromised, because they sent me a new card with this letter.

So I'm thinking...ok..it's cool.... until 2 days ago. A package comes in the mail, addressed to me, for a bottle of weight loss pills crap. Now I'm as skinny as a rail, I sure didn't order it. It sets on the counter for a day, and my wife comes in a throws it in my direction and says.... do something with this....I'm thinking she thinks I got it for her...... nope.... so I googled the company name... all these posts pop up.... describing the exact scenereo that I have..... so I called the card company.... just to check. Sure enough.... there's a charge on the card... I talk to fraud/dispute..... they assure me it's taken care of....we'll see.

You can believe I'll be checking my card statement with a microscope for a few months. I always check my statements and you should do this also. This charge was infact on the old compromised number..... but I'll be looking closely just to be sure.

Double check your statements especially ATT MC.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/18 20:30:25

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 

40 Replies Related Threads

Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 20:57:06 (permalink)
    this happens a LOT .. that's the problem..

the common trick and it's a well known trick shown here on TV many times, is they buy something like a book etc.. a small item to see if the card is rejected.

Someone tried to buy $1200 of memory on my sisters card years ago... of course the company who were selling the memory didn't like the fact the card address / delivery address were different and contacted my sister. Who in turn contacted the place selling the memory / police / card company.

the one thing that does amaze me that people use card for really cheap purchases and that increases the chances of people using it illegally.

the worst one was my friends account, it almost caused him to default on his mortgage. Someone inside the bank was behind that he reckons as they knew ALL the details. When he passed the branch the next day it was closed for "training".. more like an audit to catch the thieving git working there.

about hhmm 15 years ago a friend sent off his annual tax cheque... the bank contacted him.. the cheque was intercepted in the post and someone scratched off the payee + the amount and doctor it from £300 or something to £7000. My friend did see the doctored cheque at the police station and was suprised how convincing it looked after they'd changed the amount etc.

if people see a quick way of making money and have no morals, then they'll do it sadly.

space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 21:46:00 (permalink)
    Same happened to me about 2 weeks ago. I am in the process of getting calls about all the things that are charged to it that have to have numbers changed. Little angels - my midget dating service - was first to call me.

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    space_cowboy
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 21:49:58 (permalink)
    Chase called me about 2 years ago from their FRAUD PREVENTION DEPARTMENT to notify me of two charges in Russia that collectively accounted for $4300 or so. They had already cleard them when they called me from the FRAUD PREVENTION DEPARTMENT. Uh - like they didnt prevent it - they just informed me. I raised holy hell with them. I had my $4300 back in like a week. I told them that if I ever got another call from the FRAUD PREVENTION DEPARTMENT where they had already approved the transaction, I was notifing the bank examiners and closing my account.

They got this last one - originally a charge for like $5 US or so that was occuring somewhere in England while I was firmly planted in the great country of Texas. We can secede from this steaming POS that the US is trying hard to become. HAH. I already have my flag ready.

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 21:51:26 (permalink)
    Yes..I agree... no morals today.... the first time it was taken...I was in Argentina, they (the thieves) tried to buy something on the internet..from California that cost $1500.00.... the CCC detected the fraud and froze my account.....when I got home there were messages waiting for me.... fortunately, I didn't "need" my card in Argentina or on the way home...I'da been "up the creek" if I didn't need them for the business and for the convenience ( I rarely carry and use cash)... I'd scrap them all.

BMI/NSAI

space_cowboy
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 22:01:27 (permalink)
    Dude I so totally want to go to Argentina. I was telling my son - if I have to hang out somewhere the rest of my days and if for some reason the US aint it, Argentina is it. Wine, fly fishing, bird hunting, mountains, beautiful women... if they would just all have the courtesy to speak english it would be perfect.

ed97643
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1610
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 22:20:42 (permalink)
    While I don't particularly like this company, I will put in a plug for Bank of America. Here's why.

I have my (one and only) credit card through them. I'm mostly a debit card guy, but when it's time to buy a big screen TV or Marshall amp, I use the BOA credit card.

Well, since that's only like (say) once a year, don't you know, every other time (year) I go to buy a Marshall (or whatever) and pull out the BOA card, it's REJECTED!! Why? Because apparently they have the most on the ball fraud team ever, and any time I go to use it for a (larger than $150 ITEM), since I use it so infrequently for expensive items, they think the purchase * might * be a fraud, and reject it.

Pain in the @$$ for me, but I will give them a plug for an up-front fraud department...

Best,
    Ed

Registered Cakewalk user since 1995
    Jonbouy
    • Total Posts : 22562
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/18 22:38:03 (permalink)
    ... if they would just all have the courtesy to speak english it would be perfect.

I have this issue with the French they live 22 miles away and have done for centuries and they still haven't bothered to adopt the language, it's just plain rude arrogance on their part if you ask me.

Anyway back on topic, what Fog said is spot on, they know full well shops have a discretionary floor limit before the shop is likely to make an authorization call the card companies should make it mandatory for EVERY transaction to be verified. It happens on-line so why not in store? And on no account have your card rolled, I'm surprised those things are still allowed to exist these days.

Also I never use an internet account that is linked to a customer account for any other purpose after I had an account cleared out by somebody that managed to get hold of details via a forum profile that was linked to a customer account with a particular company. I'm sure Cake's security isn't as lax as that companies was and it was quite a few years ago now and perhaps it is more difficult to obtain that kind of info, but I still don't take chances. I'm especially wary of something like the Propellerheads forum where it flags up what products are registered to you for all to see which must be linked to a customer account in SOME way, so I have a public profile there for forum participation which is linked to a different email to my customer account which ONLY gets used for online transactions and I don't post in the members areas. Again I'm sure they have good security there but I make sure I take responsibility for my own safety.

Having said that nobody is immune to being turned over at some point, and in the best case scenario it is always a hassle you can do without.
    post edited by Jonbouy - 2009/02/18 22:44:37

"We can't do anything to change the world until capitalism crumbles.
    In the meantime we should all go shopping to console ourselves" - Banksy
    Guitarhacker
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 08:37:41 (permalink)
    Argentina is it. Wine, fly fishing, bird hunting, mountains, beautiful women... if they would just all have the courtesy to speak english it would be perfect.

Space....

I so agree!!!! Don't forget the beef! Argentina is a beautiful country, and the cost of living there is way lower than here. Your dollar here buys 3 pesos there. A friend of mine has a store that he rents on a main street. It also includes a 2 floor home with an outdoor courtyard. He operates a catering/takeout resturant from there. This is in Cordoba. 2nd biggest city.... the rent is about $300 USD/month. Wow!!!
    BTW: many people in Argentina speak English to one degree or another...some quite well. And they tell me Spanish is easy to learn...yeah right! I'm trying though..... you could retire there and live well on the US SS retirement income.

since that's only like (say) once a year, don't you know, every other time (year) I go to buy a Marshall (or whatever) and pull out the BOA card, it's REJECTED!!

Ed....

If you only use the card once a year or so it's easy for them to spot unusual activity...and in your case, actually, ANY use is unusual activity.
    When I first got my cards.... the same thing applied. I used them rarely, so they flagged purchases and called me often. As I started using the cards more... the calls stopped, because they had no clue what was unusual.

Now I have to hand it to them...they are still on the watch for unusual stuff.... because when I purchased JAMSTIX on line, they froze my account. The initial transaction was refused on line. after 3 attempts I called my card company to see why the card was refused.... they asked me did I recently try to charge software from a company in Germany? I said yes...and they approved the transaction. On my recent trip to Argentina (I was there for 2 weeks) I knew I would use my personal card for the more costly items...so I called and told them where I was headed, what airports I was traveling through and how long I was going to be gone. All went well. Even bought some jewelry for my wife and girls, ( typically a flagged item) without any problems.

BMI/NSAI

space_cowboy
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 10:22:00 (permalink)
    Guitar
    I just might venture down to Argentina this year. It has been on my to0do list for way too long.

Ed
    I used to do tons of biz in Europe and would hit ENgland, Scooterland, Norway, Italy, Switzerland and France on ONE (THAT IS RIGHT) One week trip. Despite the fact that I did this about 4-7 times a year, I would inevitably get tagged in Geneva or Paris with AMEX declining my card authorization. I would even call them before the trip and warn them all of where I was going to go and just how much I was going to spend, but still - somewhere on the trip I got tagged. Now I appreciate them watching my credit but working out issues in a foreign country - no matter how big the city - well it took about 5+ times longer to work out than in the USSA.

jacktheexcynic
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3069
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 18:28:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Guitarhacker
    Well, somehow or another...somebody got my credit card number again, (yep...second time) and did nasty things with it.

doesn't matter how safe you are on the internet anymore:

http://datalossdb.org/

so yes, check your statements often. you can get your money back but only if you report it to your CC company in a timely fashion. also be sure that your existing CC plan covers such things. for some credit cards it may be an "extra."

- jack the ex-cynic
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 18:53:50 (permalink)
    I'll be checking my card statement with a microscope for a few months.

Actually I have been checking my cc balances daily for over two years now and I do not EVER intend to stop that.

I've had some of my CCs used at about 6 times over the last 7 years.

Forewarned is for-armed.
    SongCraft
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3902
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 19:10:16 (permalink)
    My wife and I got burned once! Never happened to me before, I never use my cc online or bank online doesn't matter how secure the bank claims their site is bc often its the user pc security that can be compromised or other methods theives use (such ATM hidden micro cams and other sneaky devices) I prefer to use an ATM inside the bank or generally a good location. Anyway... as for my wife and I on our shared cc account we didn't realize until after we got a letter from a billing dept that said our check bounced!! *Yikes* contacted the bank immediately!! Problem was... our bank didn't have Live-Update (account balance adjustment) which only added to the problem. Right then and there I requested to have that account closed immediately, then filled out forms to have our money returned and then got another account at another bank. I know others who have been hit badly, my bro inlaw got hit for $10,000 but got it back.

JayJayVee
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 19:40:35 (permalink)
    I've been through it 4 times already, and it doesn't get any more pleasant each time.
    One thing to watch out for: I got a call from "supposedly" my credit card company telling me that they had detected fraud on my account. The guy went through various questions and it became clear to me in short order that this was an additional fraudster that was trying to get me to tell him my CVC code from the back of my credit card. I really wanted to reach through the phone and twist his head off, but.........what can you do?
    So, watch out for *that* ploy.
    JV
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 19:58:21 (permalink)
    JV, glad you shared that. one more reason to never, ever give out personal information over the phone or internet unless you initiate the connection to a trusted number, site or email.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Fog
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 20:40:30 (permalink)
    JayJayVee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxhNtMFj7rc&feature=related

it's off a show that's shown here, except this guy plays him at his own game.

Guitarhacker
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 21:00:27 (permalink)
    You're gonna love this..... I been reading these posts and yeah...it totally burns me up...I'd love to get my hands on some of these people.....

well there is a group of people who excel at scamming the scammers. I know you have heard of the Nigerian letters. I have recieved easily a dozen of them through the years...from postal letters to emails. There are a group of people who call themselves ScamBaiters. They play these scammers in ways that are amusing and downright funny.

Check this site...look around in the Hall of Shame...and also the Trophy Room.

These scams are known as 419 scams ...somthing I think about the US law number or something like that.... so enjoy.

http://www.419eater.com/index.htm

It's really sweet to see them get what they deserve.

BMI/NSAI

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 22:59:22 (permalink)
    What's needed is a movement to hold banks' feet to the fire when it comes to the security of personal data. How is it they can account for every penny in their vaults but can't seem to keep track of who they've given your social security number to? If they equated information with money, you can bet they'd keep closer tabs on it.

I once received a letter from my credit union telling me that customer data may have been compromised and warning me to check my statements closely. Apparently, a bank computer had been stolen from the van of a third party service vendor. The letter was careful to point out that it wasn't the bank's fault, and they would no longer be using that vendor for computer repairs.

My first thoughts, though, were: who let that disk drive full of customer data out the door? Why was that data on an employee's workstation instead of safely locked away on a secure database server? Who lost their job for that incredibly stupid move?

Well, nobody lost their job. I wrote to the bank and expressed my concern, saying it wasn't the repair shop's fault at all, but rather the incompetence of the bank's management and IT departments. I got a nice letter back that simply reiterated the most important fact: it was the vendor's fault and the bank would not be using that vendor any more. No need to concern myself that it could happen again.

Everybody who buys anything with a credit card, whether online or at a shop, should keep in mind that even legitimate businesses are generally lax with their data security. You have no way of knowing who has access to it.

A while back, an online CD retailer's database was downloaded right off the internet (bad, bad planning on the part of their IT team!). The thieves offered to sell the database back, threatening to post it online. The company did not pay, the data was posted online and downloaded by hundreds of other people. The retailer should have gone out of business over that mistake! But then, Jack-in-the-Box should have gone under when they killed some of their customers, and that didn't happen either.

I often download databases from my customers for support purposes. I've been doing it for 20 years. Not one time did anybody question the security issues. Doesn't even occur to them that they're entrusting me with gigabytes' worth of their customers' identity data. Of course, I take great care with their data, but still...I worked with another software vendor who processed credit cards. At one point I needed to get a copy of their database and was shocked to see thousands of unencrypted credit card numbers! I could have ripped off 20,000 people in one fell swoop.

I only purchase from a very few select retailers online. It's too bad, though. I'd like to buy RealStrat, but there is no way I'm sending a credit card number to Russia.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    jacktheexcynic
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/19 23:08:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bitflipper
    I only purchase from a very few select retailers online. It's too bad, though. I'd like to buy RealStrat, but there is no way I'm sending a credit card number to Russia.

they probably already have it...

i totally agree that anyone handling financial information should fall under much stricter rules than there are now. although there has been some legislation to this effect (and PCI compliance is required for most of these institutions by the major credit cards), there really hasn't been enough of a hit in the pocketbook to motivate companies to diligently protect consumer data.

most states have breach notification laws now but only a couple have really strict ones (california and massachusetts). and i am pretty sure they all typically just require that customers be notified of a breach, with fines if they do not, rather than fining the crap out of the institution when there is a breach. so you get a letter and a few extra points on your interest rate instead of a structured approach to information security.

can you tell i do this for a living?

- jack the ex-cynic
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/20 21:02:30 (permalink)
    I've been hit three (!) times by these pilfering scum, the most recent being just last week.

The first two times, a very alert employee of my bank (I live in a very small town) saw that there was activity on my card in (in the first case) Spain and (in the second case) in Los Angeles. Since I'd been seen by this employee of the bank *at* the bank just before these charges were made, the employee deduced that I was not in either of these two places and called on the phone to ask if I'd made charges in these locations. In the case of the L.A. charge, the scum that was trying to buy jewelry was actually caught in the act! Made my day to hear this. Naturally, I canceled my cards and got new ones.

This most recent event was the result of the theft of thousands of card numbers through some company that handles some sort of service for VISA. Why this company would be so insecure is, as Bitflipper says, pretty mysterious and inexcusable.

So, I found out that my card number had been compromised when I got to the head of the check out line at the supermarket with all of my groceries and my card was declined. Naturally, I didn't have any cash, nor my check book with me at the time, so I had to leave my groceries at the counter and slink out of the market like a deadbeat. Not a good thing in a small town.....

There is no doubt in my mind that the security of CC numbers and other sensitive information should be made a top priority everywhere in the world. I was lucky in all three cases that I didn't get totally ripped-off by these bandits. But, surely, there must be a way to stop this widespread thievery.

Best regards,
    Bill

Edited for typo
    post edited by Cromberger - 2009/02/20 21:08:54

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    jhughs
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1179
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/20 23:09:30 (permalink)
    Our college age daughter recently had her wallet stolen out of her purse.
    The thieves quickly bought a bunch of gift cards with her credit card, but the thing that really disturbs me is that, because her ATM card can also be used as a "credit card", without needing to know the PIN, they were able to clear out her checking account.

She called the credit card company; no problem.
    But with the ATM card being used as a credit card, well, she can get her money back, but first has to fill out an affidavit, get it notarized, and send it back in. It's going to take awhile.
    Since we all use the same bank my wife asked if we could get that credit card feature shut off on our ATM cards; apparently not.

Meanwhile, you all should be checking your credit reports at least once a year (at TransUnion, Equifax, or Experian).

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/21 06:42:36 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jhughs
    ...my wife asked if we could get that credit card feature shut off on our ATM cards; apparently not.

Realizing the exact same potential security risk, I had asked my bank a couple of years ago the very same question.

The answer was a no, of course. Which prompted me to say "I would like to close my account right now"

Took the proceeds down the street only two blocks away and had the issue resolved.

Guitarhacker
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/21 09:52:26 (permalink)
    Good stuff here guys....

It seems preventing the theft of CC numbers is very difficult. I have taken a few steps to prevent larger problems.

1. Never carry your check book with you. If you must use checks.... leave it at home, and keep it hidden there. Stolen checks are a real PITB.... the thief can really mess you up. If you ever have checks stolen, file a police report, and make a copy of that report and carry it with you AT ALL TIMES. There are cases where the thief has floated the checks in other locals and retailers have sworn out warrents on the person on the check (YOU). You get pulled over for a simple traffic violation, they run W&W on you and slap the handcuffs on right then & there and carry you to jail. Bad Scene!!!

2. Freeze your credit. easy to do, very inexpensive ( go to www.clarkhoward.com just look for freeze your credit) easy to unlock and relock as needed. no one can open any account in your name..even if they have all the info needed. 2 of the 3 can be done on the internet in about 5 minutes. A side benefit... the credit card offers will stop. They can't run a credit check so they won't send the invite. The little bit of inconvenience is worth the security that no body can hijack your identity and ruin your credit & name.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2009/02/21 09:58:16

BMI/NSAI

jhughs
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/21 09:54:30 (permalink)
    Yeah, I should go talk to them myself.
    Moving the account is not so easy because we've had the same bank for 15 years and have several direct deposit and withdrawal accounts tied to the checking account. Marketeers call that "stickiness".

At the very least I should get their refusal to shut off the credit card feature in writing and that they take full responsibility for fraud.

ASUS P5ND/Intel E8500, Line6 Toneport UX2/PODFarm, Sonar, Axiom 25, Blue Bluebird, Audio-Technica AT3035s, Blue Snowflake, Line6 Spider IV 150 & AMPLIFI, Crate 1

J Hughs Soundclick
    Cromberger
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/21 20:08:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jhughs

but the thing that really disturbs me is that, because her ATM card can also be used as a "credit card", without needing to know the PIN, they were able to clear out her checking account.

AMEN! This is what really scared me witless when our debit card number was stolen. How is it logical that one needs a PIN to use the card as a debit card, but all one has to do is to say "it's a credit card" and it works without any I.D. or other way to determine who is using the card. I spent a long Presidents Day weekend worrying about this, since whoever stole our card # could have conceivably used the card as a "credit" card. I lucked out in the sense that this didn't actually happen. But the fact that it *could* have happened is very disturbing. I'm taking steps to insure that my risk of this happening is greatly reduced. I can't afford to lose $50, let alone the significantly higher amount that is in my debit account.

Best regards,
    Bill

Sonar Platinum
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
    Studio Cat DAW
    Intel I-950 Processor
    6 Gigs RAM
    M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R Audio Interface
    Mackie HR824 Monitors
    Cheeto
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/22 10:24:48 (permalink)
    A few other useful tips,

DO NOT mail out your credit card statements (or any other sensitive info) and leave in your residential mailbox for pickup. A thief can easily poach them, and before you know it some clown has your CC# along with your name and address. You may only realize this after you get your next statement, finding out you did not make a payment and may potentially have your interest rate jacked as a result.

Best to take all mailings to the post office, or better yet pay at your bank if at all possible.

Also, shred everything mailed to your address, even the envelopes themselves as it is an indication of who you do business with.

On a side note, It gives me a slight kick running those seemingly everyday adverts from the place with "the little green lizard" through the shredder too!

jhughs
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/22 15:57:57 (permalink)
    My daughter's new ATM/Visa card arrived yesterday.

The paperwork does say "Protection from unauthorized transactions or purchases with the National City Zero Liability pledge." And she is going to get her money back but she has to fill out a separate form for each fraudulent transaction (which was only two since there wasn't much money in her account).

I liked this one though: "Your card may not be used for lottery, betting, gambling or any illegal transactions."

Okay, okay, I know that's for our protection, but I gotta wonder: What sort of criminal accepts credit cards for those "illegal transactions"?

J Hughs Soundclick
    Fog
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/22 18:30:51 (permalink)
    jhughs, before years ago they had a tv show on it.. basically some of them had friends in a shops and were in on it, they'd go into the shop where their friend would work, buy the goods, chip & pin has stopped a lot of that.

we used to get people attempting scams at an old work place, thing is most of them aren't anything new.

Dave (bit) it's been big news here a number of times , normally with office worker loosing an unencrypted laptop in a taxi etc. or someone couriering things to another work site.

There was talk of a cashless society, maybe that will happen BUT what happens if I want to buy a 2nd hand car etc privately? not like the seller is gonna have a method of accepting a card

jacktheexcynic
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/22 18:33:59 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fog
    what happens if I want to buy a 2nd hand car etc privately? not like the seller is gonna have a method of accepting a card

not to worry. by that time the government will supply everything you could dream of in a classless society. private sale of goods just won't be necessary.

- jack the ex-cynic
    Crg
    • Total Posts : 7719
    RE: Credit Card warning... 2009/02/22 20:27:18 (permalink)
    You know where I think it comes from? The employees of the credit card compnaies. Who would have better access to your card? A little hacking-networking experience and vwala! your in Russia charging a bottle of Vodka!. But who knows really where the lurkers get your number. Never charge to an unsecured page, tell your credit card company when and where you're travelling and ask them to call you if there is a distant charge.

Craig DuBuc
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1