Cryin' *Updated* Much better

Author
6stringsat100mph
Max Output Level: -63 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1385
2005/03/28 19:03:54 (permalink)

Cryin' *Updated* Much better

This is a beautiful song that I want to start doing live. I need to clean up the end a bit but other than that it is a very pretty song. What do you guys think?

Cryin'

IT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS...THE GUITARS HAVE SOME MISSED notes and some general sloppy parts towards the end but I have not properly learned those bits and kinda just wing it...so please forgive this if you do listen .. they are being fixed...if you want a finished version wait a day or two or listen to Joe Satriani's version. thanks

mark

I am still open and anxious to hear your thoughts.
post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/30 21:25:46

28 Replies Related Threads

m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 19:27:33 (permalink)
    Hi Mark,

I also did this one and I have to admit, I'm a bit disappointed.
    Either you didn't try to get the sound of the original, or you have another original than I.

Mixing:
    You know, sometimes less reverb is more. Less hi freq at 5khz to 10khz at cymbals and reverb is more.
    Be careful with the bass.
    Try to not abuse your compressor-, vintage warmer-, or whatever exciter plugins you use to make your mixes 'hot'.

Guitar playing:
    Some minor mistakes and timing issues. Some lack of feeling (most important at this song)

IMHO there's a wrong chord at 2:34 (keyboards)

So, enaugh of the bashing. Have a nice day.
    (duck)
    Melf
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 20:23:40 (permalink)
    yea...ok then thanks melf......ok ....anyone else???
    do we agree with melfs assesment or is he upset about other issues not pertaining to this song and/or my performance therin?
    I would love to hear your version melf...could you please post it...
    thanks
    Mark
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/28 21:01:08
    rolo95
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1607
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 20:59:55 (permalink)
    hi yaaaaaaaaaaa
    Mark...
    hey you use endorphin..? right .?
    if so dont abuse it....

cant listen now... just take a peek at the forums...
    but i now on past works of yours that you are a great EXCITER JUNKIEEEEEEE
    (dodging mark kick hit.... lol )

hey....i heard satriani original of this song....
    can you make "summer song" i love that....

Greets
    Rolo.
    post edited by rolo95 - 2005/03/28 21:02:58

-----------------------------------------------------
    THERE IS NO POWER Without KNOWLEDGE !!!
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 21:02:11 (permalink)
    You got it rolo...how about the first couple of minutes of it? would that work for now?
    Mark
    PS good to see you....did you say hello to melf?
    rolo95
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 21:04:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 6stringsat100mph

You got it rolo...how about the first couple of minutes of it? would that work for now?
    Mark
    PS good to see you....did you say hello to melf?

Oppssss

not....

HI YAAAAAAAAA MELFFFFFFFFFFFF
    (excuse me....)

Need to take a listen to this song...cant do that now..... (GRIEFFFFFFFFFFFFFF )

Rolo.

Ona
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 21:20:08 (permalink)
    Mark, yes, this is a very pretty tune. I haven't heard the original, so I have nothing to compare it to, but enjoyed it. I do hear a lot of the exciter, as Rolo & Melf mentioned, though.

m11
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 21:39:44 (permalink)
    I would love to hear your version melf...could you please post it...

I knew that would be your answer.
    I didn't say my version is better!
    The question was, is there more than one original?

Hmmm.. maybe I'll post mine.. ...maybe... ..hmm... ..this is not a competition... ..or is it?

Greets
    Melf
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/28 22:26:41 (permalink)
    No melf thats not it.....Its just you come into a thread where someone posts a song and say nothing but negative stuff. I mean if you did not find anything you liked about it at all then #1 why post, I wouldnt. and #2 why would you not say I am disapointed. I think you could have done better/different here and blah blah blah....or maybe it would have been much more pleasing without the Vintage warmer. You have posted stuff I thought was good before and I know you might have done a bit better on this one....or something like that. Just come in and puke all over the song...well then yea I want to hear your perfect version. Wouldnt anyone melf?
    Thats all
    Take it easy
    Mark
    post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/03/28 22:27:40
    pluto
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 875
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/29 00:50:12 (permalink)
    Great effort here. I definitely could feel the tune. Nice
    lead sound, solid drums. I feel once the minor timing
    issue is addressed and the leads tweaked a little, it'll
    be a great production. It's very close.

pluto
    stratboy77
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 90
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/29 01:21:07 (permalink)
    Ok so let me start this post by saying your guitar playing and recording techniques are top notch, if you enjoy doing spot on covers, thats great. Your such a good player that i would think there is some great original material just waiting to ooze out of you. doing covers is great, i play in a cover band because i can make money to buy more gear. but i dont even do spot on covers when i play live I generally just try to play in the style of the artist i am covering. I like being creative with stuff, putting my own stamp on it.

you probably have heard this before and I am not trying to take anything away from what you are doing, i just think it would be great to hear more of what you do.

Jason
    Justapicker
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/29 01:22:40 (permalink)
    One of my all time favorite tunes, you do it justice!

Paul

"It's liberty for all, democracy's our style, unless you are against us, then it's prison without trial."-The Rolling Stones
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/29 03:12:07 (permalink)
    Hey Pluto...Thanks man...workin on it.

Stratboy77:(Jason) Thank you for the post I do appreciate it. I dont know if you have looked around my soundclick page but there are actually 4 originals there. Something New, I am a JO,Spanish dancer, and Bounty Hunter . I do have many works in progress but I really struggle to write quality music and the covers help me do stuff productively in the meantime. I do the covers as a way to become a better producer. I have fun with the attempts as well. I always post them even when they are substandard like this one here. I dunno why I just like to. Thats about it. Thanks for the post and I took nothing you said as negitive or bashing.

Justapicker: Thanks again friend. I appreciate the fact that you always take the time to post. Very grateful....
    Thanks all
    rgfors
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1068
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/29 03:22:20 (permalink)
    Hell Mark, I liked it!

Randy
    Listen to my "stuff" at:
    http://www.21st-parallel.com
    View my pictures at:
    http://www.justshootmestudios.com
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/30 21:46:13 (permalink)
    bump
    lockwiz
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/31 00:28:25 (permalink)
    Hey Mark,

I don't know this song (course...there are a ton of things I don't know, but, we won't go into that now) so as a first time listener, nice production and balance of sounds, excellent "guitaring" there dude!

Jeff (J C McDonald)

Hmmm, signature goes here...Doh!!!
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/31 01:27:40 (permalink)
    Thanks Jeff....Its a Joe Satriani song from "The Extremist" disk. It is one of many many great satriani tunes. I am doing Summer Song at the moment for our pal Rolo.
    Thanks for posting
    Mark
    rolo95
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/31 01:42:31 (permalink)

Thanks Jeff....Its a Joe Satriani song from "The Extremist" disk. It is one of many many great satriani tunes. I am doing Summer Song at the moment for our pal Rolo.
    Thanks for posting
    Mark

YOU RULEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

( no goofball this time...... )

Rolo.

6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/03/31 23:34:20 (permalink)
    Thanks rolo it is comming out really good....actually....the mix is pretty tight...here I will send a snippet......I will email it to ya....Nice radio spot there pal....good work...absolutely pro.
    Mark
    xavier onassis
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/01 00:40:30 (permalink)
    do we agree with melfs assesment

Gosh, you know I'm almost afraid to mention this because you took a bite out of Melf for being honest, but you might want to give this one another try. It's nice, but not as good as some of your other ones.

Your statement to melf to "Just come in and puke all over the song...well then yea I want to hear your perfect version".

cut him some slack Mark. He never said anything about a perfect version. Totally uncalled for. Somebody with some musical sense offers you a suggestion and you start antagonizing him. When is this crap gonna end? Most of us are pretty sick of your ego. If you can't take a suggestion then don't post your song and ask for opinions. Maybe you should preface your posts with,

"hi, Mark Anthony here. Please tell me how good I am because I am having a bad day. Don't say anything the slightest bit negative about my song or I will do everything in my power to demoralize, defame, and destroy your character. ha..ha..ha...I was only joking. I love you buddy." Hey, I was only kidding. Some people are too damn serious. ha..ha...ha....oops, time for my medicine. ha...ha..ha...
    post edited by xavier onassis - 2005/04/01 00:42:48

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.
    We grow strong in our struggles.

6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/01 06:21:33 (permalink)
    Hey Xavier, lets do one another a favor....OK? This is the 4th series of posting conversations we have "enjoyed" with one another. You remember the other three? I will remind you of one the second third your on your own to find. The first time was when you reopened a thread that had been dead and gone for over a month where there was some real jousting going on and several including myself people were acting like buffoons, and decided to reprimand me about my "relationships" and how you blah balah blah...Your opinion was not solicited then as it is not now....Xavier I have watched you in your cute conversations with MightyLee and others where you were showing us all a bit of that excellent charm that sets such a powerful example for the rest of us to follow eh.

I am kidding of course you were an absolute Jerk all puffed out with that real, "personal trainer tough guy" attitude pounding your chest on and on. I will tell you this, your true self burst through beautifully choc full of ego and arrogance. So dont ever lecture me as to what your sick of or not sick of because you are a hypocrite and an instigator. You like to stir up crap because thats ALL you have ever done with me. I challenge you Thor, to find ONE conversation that we have had that you did not initiate very very similar to this one, real Righteous and snotty. I challenge you to this jack lilane. SO..I tell you what deflate your chest let the belly out a little take a deep breath and wallow in your hypocracy because you are what you are....and that is an unpopular, opinionated arrogant chest puffing pissant that needs to find another mark to try on...cause I dont buy what your dishing out....it tastes like crap.....
    Thanks for posting...Richard Simmons.
    Mark

Here I will show the viewers your nice way with people
    Tissue? That excited huh? Kind of confused here. I live in Japan. I thought you lived in Charlotte. Anyway, good to get to know you little guy. Bet you won't forget me now. I'm surprised you can't remember my name. Say it fast like a good Charlotte boy.

Ok lets see ...

the only thing fat about me is my paycheck. Yes, I understand sarcasm-just thought it was funny though-I checked out that thread you were talking about and your dream guy that you talk in your post is what I am-but I'm not proud about it-I'm in Japan training certain individuals in certain things. I know you live in Charlotte. Sorry little guy.

Is there more?? Whats this a little of what you said I do....the I was just kidding stuff??? Is that what your doing here????NO SAY IT AINT SO...thaaaaaaats right sy it with me once.."My Name is Xavier, and I am a hypocrite...."
    I've just been playin' wif ya Lee boy. Nuffin' serious on my side. Just seeing how easy you get shaken. Sometimes the people who dish it out so wasy can't take it, but I think you're gonna do jus' fine. Seem a bit touchy sometimes but hell, you'll probably be fine when you grow out of that little stage you're going through. The vein in the neck cracked me up. Good to get to know you.

before you judge another, think of your own last mistake.

post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/04/01 06:41:17
    xavier onassis
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/01 10:33:00 (permalink)
    gotcha!!! Just look at all that wasted energy come to the fore. Didn't know you were such a fan that you would spend all that time perusing former posts. Mission accomplished.

Thanks Mark.
    A little encouragement always goes a long ways.

edit P.S. I don't need to spend time digging up your posts. We all know who you are.
    post edited by xavier onassis - 2005/04/01 10:35:54

People who are raised in meager circumstances and have to work for everything they acquire end up with much more than those to whom it is handed on a silver platter.

rolo95
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/01 11:04:45 (permalink)

Thanks rolo it is comming out really good....actually....the mix is pretty tight...here I will send a snippet......I will email it to ya....Nice radio spot there pal....good work...absolutely pro.
    Mark

great!!!!!!!
    glad you like my work...

hey guess what....
    i dont have sound card anymore.......

i love your song without VOX.... but cant record the VOX lines ideas.....
    Rolo.

manwslohand
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Cryin' *Updated* Much better 2005/04/01 11:33:53 (permalink)
    Mark, first of all (regardless of our past postings) I'm a huge fan of your work. You're one of those rare guitar players that actually have a grasp of tone and how to make the instrument sing.

With that said, my two criticisms:

1) Tuning (if you're playing sharp on that 5 to 6 bend, at least shake it a bit more)
    2) Pull the gtr back into the mix more and put a more interesting bass line (maybe it was my player settings) and/or add some more percussion things into the picture to hold the listener's interest more.

Thanks for posting. You really do great work.

http://www.RickRyan.com
    Live to record, record to live. We're not happy until all your money is spent.
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' *Updated* Much better 2005/04/01 12:45:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Rick...I appreciate your input...I think your absolutely right about my little oversight regarding tuning. Thanks for your very gracious and kind words. Thanks very much
    Mark
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' *Updated* Much better 2005/04/01 15:34:19 (permalink)
    In case you missed this 1st part of the paragraph xavier....is this abusive?? Huh? Really?

Original: 6stringsat100mph

No melf thats not it.....Its just you come into a thread where someone posts a song and say nothing but negative stuff. I mean if you did not find anything you liked about it at all then #1 why post, I wouldnt. and #2 why would you not say I am disapointed. I think you could have done better/different here and blah blah blah....or maybe it would have been much more pleasing without the Vintage warmer. You have posted stuff I thought was good before and I know you might have done a bit better on this one....or something like that. Just come in and puke all over the song...well then yea I want to hear your perfect version. Wouldnt anyone melf?
    Thats all
    Take it easy
    Mark

post edited by 6stringsat100mph - 2005/04/01 15:35:20
    xavier onassis
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/02 07:39:36 (permalink)
    it tastes like crap

now how would you know that?

Call_Me_Don
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/02 08:56:13 (permalink)
    Well, I myself find it rather easy to be critical, yet courteous and respectful at the same time. I enjoyed the song, as I do with most your others.

I do alot of covers myself. I have several Elton John covers that I enjoy, along with a version of Floyd's SOYCD. That one is a work in progress. I find, like you said Mark, that it helps with the production end of things. Also helps with my mixing techniques.

Anyway, keep it up Mark.

Don

HS2XL - Yahama DGX500 - Tascam US122

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/0/ivorymanmusic.htm

My Inspirations : Yanni, Elton John, Depeche Mode, ATC, Pink Floyd, Rush, and of course....DREAM THEATER.
    6stringsat100mph
    RE: Cryin' (Satriani Guitar Instrumental) 2005/04/02 15:51:48 (permalink)
    Thanks very much Don...I needed that...it gets goofy around here......but thanks for your encouragment...
    Mark
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1