Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet?

Author
j boy
Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2729
2008/09/24 12:52:37 (permalink)

Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet?

As a laptop (well actually notebook) user I've grown accustomed to virtually zero noise in my tracking area to deal with. Considering adding a desktop at some point. Wondering just how quiet the purpose-built (ADK, Studio Cat, etc.) desktops really are these days? Will a high-gain preamp and mic pick up some fan whirring noise? I know that I have to turn off my swimming pool pump outside when I track as even that noise gets picked up when I crank the mic gain up. Same if a neighbor is running their lawnmower ro an airplane flies overhead. I'm picky about *zero noise* in the background when I track...

6 Replies Related Threads

madratter
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/24 13:55:48 (permalink)
    If as close as zero noise as possible is important to you, I know that Studio Cat will build systems with fanless power supplies and fanless CPUs.

http://www.studiocat.com/index_files/Page423.htm

Whether you really need it that quiet only you really know.
    kwgm
    Max Output Level: -52.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2271
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/24 16:02:27 (permalink)
    Electrically, my Studiocat system is noiseless. I don't hear anything out of the box, either. I keep my DAW computer under a heavy wooden desk, away from the recording floor -- though I do very little mic work, I never a problem.

--kwgm
    krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/24 16:53:41 (permalink)
    I built my own DAW and the only thing I can hear from about 3 feet away (if I struggle) is a very slight amount of PS fan noise. Any farther than 3 feet and I can't hear a thing. I don't know what the actual noise floor is but it's low enough to not bother with measuring the noise floor or spending another penny to try to reduce it even further. I haven't heard a hard drive make any mechanical noise in years. My daughter's laptop makes more noise than my DAW. And that punk rock band playing in the other room - well forget it

btw - a mic will pick up fan noise easily. But a little noise gate or exander usually takes care of that. I have these Oktava MK12 mics which are very unforgiving of fan noise. In fact, if there is even the slightest amount of breeze from the fan (I'm talking about a regular room fan), the mic will pick it up and make it sound like a low rumble. Those Oktavas don't want anything to do with breezes. I wouldn't even think of using one outside without a wind screen or pop filter. I gave up worrying about room noises a long time ago. Except in very rare circumstances nothing ruins a mix.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/26 12:25:27 (permalink)
    bump
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/26 15:41:22 (permalink)
    You can always go liquid-cooled, which can be virtually silent. But they are a real pain, and I wouldn't recommend that route unless you really need total silence.

Fortunately, most fan noise is high-frequency and therefore easily absorbed. Enclosing the computer in a solidly-constructed (screws and glue) box made of 3/4" plywood lined with 1 or 2 inches of 703 will probably make it as quiet as you need. Just be sure to have adequate ventilation so the computer doesn't overheat. Air intake and exhaust vents should be wide, include at least one 90-degree bend, and also be lined with acoustical dampening material. An iso box like this can be constructed for about $40, which sure beats buying a new computer just because it has quieter fans.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    rumleymusic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1533
    RE: Cureent state-of-the art for DAW desktops... how quiet? 2008/09/26 15:52:48 (permalink)
    I build my last two DAWs as well. As long as you have large, slow moving fans (120mm) on the PSU, processor and case, you shouldn't be able to hear it short of sticking your head next the the computer. I ordered a PC for work from Sonica, it is pretty quiet, though I noticed it has a smaller stock processor fan. I'm sure ADK and Studio Cat put quiet components in their systems, that would be picked up by mics in the same room.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1