Curious about UAD-2

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Rockscientist
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 126
2009/03/26 12:28:21 (permalink)

Curious about UAD-2

I'm no stranger to plugins at this point, but with the way UA does their PCI card integration thing, I was wondering if a user could explain to me the basics on how they work. Specifically, what the difference between the UAD-2 Quad, UAD-2 Quad Flexi, and UAD-2 Omni is, and how many instances of everything you can run per DSP chip. Also, do the Nevana packages include special PCI cards, or are they just model packages that can be purchased later with a regular UAD-2 card? Anything else I should know? Thanks a lot.

DAW Vitals
Hardware: i7 4790k / MSI Z97 Gaming 7 / 16GB DDR3 / SSD audio drives / UAD Apollo Twin USB
Software: SONAR Platinum 64-Bit / Win 10 Pro 64-Bit / ASIO Drivers / 44.1 KHz / 24-Bit

"Young.  Dumb.  Don't see a problem."
J-Ho

36 Replies Related Threads

Funkybot
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 13:27:49 (permalink)
    The only difference in the packages you are referring to are the number of plug-ins included with the package, and the amount in vouchers you'd get with each package. A UAD-2 quad will have 4 DSP's regardless of whether it's a Nevana, Flexi, or Omni. The Nevana will include the Neve plugins, the Flexi has a voucher for additional plugins, and the Omni will include all the plugins. They all run on PCIe cards.

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
    Rockscientist
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 16:24:13 (permalink)
    Thanks funky, thats what I wanted to know. Do you use a UAD? If so, what do you think of the quality? How many of the plugins can you run at once?

DAW Vitals
    Hardware: i7 4790k / MSI Z97 Gaming 7 / 16GB DDR3 / SSD audio drives / UAD Apollo Twin USB
    Software: SONAR Platinum 64-Bit / Win 10 Pro 64-Bit / ASIO Drivers / 44.1 KHz / 24-Bit

"Young.  Dumb.  Don't see a problem."
    J-Ho
    yorolpal
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13829
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 16:36:37 (permalink)
    I use UAD as do many forum members and I think you'll find that while there might be a few naysayers UAD plugs are generally regarded as the cream of the crop. Before I got them I too would occasionally roll my eyes when I would hear a fellow forumite waxing hyperbolically in regards to the sheer awe inspiring wonderment of UAD and their plugs. Then I tried them. As we say where I come from: "They wadn't lyin, junior!!" But be warned, once you've gotten a card (please, at least a UAD2 Duo...really a Quad) and purchased a few plugs, there's no going back. Might as well take the big hit now and get all that you want. You won't regret it, ol pal.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    Houndawg
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 17:45:45 (permalink)
    Universal Audio, with their UAD plug-ins, are at the very top of the game -- you'll be hard pressed to find anything better (all subjective of course). Myself (2 UAD-1s, and a UAD-2 DUO), and many of my DAW clients, we all agree that we simply couldn't live (mix) without them!

Keep in mind that UA is not just a software company, but also an incredible audio hardware company with decades of proven and successful audio engineering products -- they KNOW what "good" is supposed to sound like -- and it certainly shows in their software as well.

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    yorolpal
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 21:18:44 (permalink)
    Your UAD setup is the same as mine HounDAWg, ol pal. I'm just hoping that when I get my planned computer upgrade late this year to an I7 Quad I'll still be able to find a MOBO that will provide me the requisite two PCI slots and one extra PCIe. If not I guess I'm buying another UAD2 DUO or QUAD.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    space_cowboy
    • Total Posts : 9813
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 22:23:55 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: yorolpal

I use UAD as do many forum members and I think you'll find that while there might be a few naysayers UAD plugs are generally regarded as the cream of the crop. Before I got them I too would occasionally roll my eyes when I would hear a fellow forumite waxing hyperbolically in regards to the sheer awe inspiring wonderment of UAD and their plugs. Then I tried them. As we say where I come from: "They wadn't lyin, junior!!" But be warned, once you've gotten a card (please, at least a UAD2 Duo...really a Quad) and purchased a few plugs, there's no going back. Might as well take the big hit now and get all that you want. You won't regret it, ol pal.

My Ol Pal
    What about when My hyperbola needed waxing?

Some people call me Maurice

SPLAT Pro lifetime, ADK 6 core 3.6Ghz with 32 GB RAM, SSD 1TB system drive, 3 3TB regular drives for samples, recordings and misc.  Behringer X Touch, UAD Apollo Quad.  2 UAD2 Quads PCI (i think - inside the box whatever that is), Console 1.  More guitars (40??) and synths (hard and soft) than talent.  Zendrum!!!
    Houndawg
    • Total Posts : 759
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 22:26:28 (permalink)
    Hey ol pal... I'll be updating my main studio rig to an i7 very soon. Not because I need to at all -- the current setup absolutely rocks -- it's just that I WANT to. Furthermore, I wouldn't suggest or sell anything to my DAW clients that I haven't thoroughly tested and/or use myself.

The motherboard I've zeroed in on as being the best for the task only has two PCI slots, so I'll have to kick one of my two UAD-1's to another system (due to the fact that my LynxTWO-B audio interface is also PCI). But, I'm not the least bit concerned, the UAD-2 DUO has pleny of horsepower for my needs.

I'm still hoping that Lynx will come out with a PCI Express version of the LynxTWO line (other than their current AES16e offering)... the PCI Express bus is FAR SUPERIOR to the PCI bus, and is one of the main advantages of the UAD-2 over the UAD-1. I may even try one of the new RME AIO cards, since it is PCI Express based and they've just starting shipping.

Really enjoy your posts, by the way!

hounDAWg

LynxTWO-B/UAD-2 DUO/UAD-1
    DynaudioBM5A/AlphaTrack/RD-700GX/PCR-800
    ASUS P5K-E/Q6600@3.0GHz/4GB
    2-WD Raptors(74/150),2-320GB(BFD2/VSTi)
    2-XFX PCIe/4-17"LCD
    AntecP182/NoctuaNH-C12P/CorsairTX650
    Sonar8.3.1/XP/Vista32
    yorolpal
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 22:40:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: space_cowboy

I too would occasionally roll my eyes when I would hear a fellow forumite waxing hyperbolically in regards to the sheer awe inspiring wonderment of UAD and their plugs.

My Ol Pal
    What about when My hyperbola needed waxing?

You didn't need a wax. You needed a "brazilian".

Zo
    Max Output Level: -25 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5036
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/26 23:14:26 (permalink)
    hey they just release ssl plugins !!!

wow .....no licence war begins waitin for solid state logic answer (or is it a pseudo war with financial deal between both ?)
    post edited by Zo - 2009/03/26 23:21:10

For sale  (PM me) : transfert ilok included
    Eventide Ultrachannel make offers
    Softube Summit EQ
    IK Neve 1081 , Neve precision Comp/Lim
    EastWest Goshtwriter
    Soundforge Pro 12

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 12:48:25 (permalink)
    One more vote for the UAD plugins!

They are pricey, but they work so well that you'll soon get over that, and besides, if you compare the plugin price to the cost of buying and installing a pile of the equivalent hardware you'll soon find a way to rationalize<G>!

I'd also point out that not only is there no need to buy all the plugin licenses at the start, but it might even be counterproductive. I have a pretty small collection and I just keep adding to it every month or so when their deal is attractive enough.

The compressors I use most often are the 1176, LA-2A, and dBX VU - but those are the ones I grew up with.

The equalizers I use most are the Cambridge and the Pultec/Pultec Pro. The Neve 1073 and 1081 are on my list for a near-future purchase!

The plate reverb is amazing, and I use it on every project. I also use the Dimension-D on an awful lot of guitar tracks.

That's pretty much it for me for now. And it keeps me quite happy!

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    Funkybot
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 13:32:24 (permalink)
    I've got a UAD1 and a UAD2 Duo. The plugins are always very good, but there's plenty I pass on in favor of native alternatives. There's others I wouldn't want to work without however. For me, the latency and other issues (having to change buffer settings constantly) are a bit of a turn off to the overall UAD card experience, but for the most part I put up with it because the plugins are so good.

Intel i7 4790k, ASUS Z97-A mobo, 16GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 x64,  UAD2 Duo, RME Fireface 800, Sonar X1/X2 Producer
    AJ_0000
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 738
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 13:55:46 (permalink)
    When I started thinking about upgrading my EQ/compression tools, I looked at both UAD and Waves. Both of them have issues with the way they charge for their products. In the case of Waves, you have something called WUP, Waves Update Plan, which you get for one year free after purchase, but every year thereafter you have to pay a fee (up to a maximum of $200) if you want to continue to receive updates for the software.

As irritating as that is, I saw UAD as being worse. You have to buy a piece of hardware which takes up a PCI slot, even if your computer is already fast enough to handle anything you throw at it, and the card can only run a limited number of plug-ins. The UAD-2 Solo costs $500, the Duo costs $900, and the Quad costs $1500. That's just the price of entry. The cards come with a standard set of basic plug-ins, but from there you have to pay to buy additional ones, at prices similar to those you pay for stand-alone native plug-ins from other companies.

If you go all the way and buy the whole package, UAD-2 Quad Omni, you pay $4000 for 34 plug-ins. With the equivalent Waves Mercury (native) package, you pay $5000 for 91 plug-ins. That's about $118 per UAD plug-in vs. $55 per Waves plug-in. So you basically pay twice as much per plug-in for the privilege of using a PCI card you may not even need.

My conclusion was ultimately that the price of entry is too high, you are too restricted in what you can get, and too restricted in how you can use it. Also there is the fact that Waves is much more widely used by pros on big time projects.

I think the UAD cards basically came about as an attempt to provide a PC alternative to Pro Tools hardware at a time when processing power was limited. Now that PCs can handle pretty much anything natively, I don't see the point. And I think they're making a huge mistake by refusing to sell native versions of their plug-ins. I'm at least one potential customer they've ruled out by sticking to their must-buy-the-hardware business plan. Some of their stuff would interest me if I could get it native, but the way it is now, nope.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:07:13 (permalink)
    If you go all the way and buy the whole package, UAD-2 Quad Omni, you pay $4000 for 34 plug-ins. With the equivalent Waves Mercury (native) package, you pay $5000 for 91 plug-ins. That's about $118 per UAD plug-in vs. $55 per Waves plug-in. So you basically pay twice as much per plug-in for the privilege of using a PCI card you may not even need.

Maybe I should switch to guitar full time due to the lower cost per string.

Serioulsy, tho:
    So you basically pay twice as much per plug-in for the privilege of using a PCI card you may not even need.

The card does the processing, so if you want the UAD plugs, you NEED the card (it is not an optional thing).

Also, I have read on this forum from users who are familair/use with both products (UAD & Waves) and they (hands down) say the plugs fro UAD are superior. So, maybe "double" the price per plug is worth it. I also recognize that anyone saying something is superior is purely a subjective opinion.

AJ_0000
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:37:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bapu

The card does the processing, so if you want the UAD plugs, you NEED the card (it is not an optional thing).

Right, which is the problem. It's not like they couldn't make native versions if they wanted to. Waves sells native and TDM, and the TDM versions cost almost twice as much. It makes no sense to me. Certainly not worth the money unless you're in a pro studio with a huge budget.

Also, I have read on this forum from users who are familair/use with both products (UAD & Waves) and they (hands down) say the plugs fro UAD are superior. So, maybe "double" the price per plug is worth it. I also recognize that anyone saying something is superior is purely a subjective opinion.

This forum is weird when it comes to gear. There are people here who are very dedicated to particular gear/software -- in particular UAD, Toontrack, and Ozone. I may be forgetting some others. You see people promoting them over and over and over, like they own stock in the company or something. None of those are what most pros use or would choose.

I'm not interested in defending or promoting Waves...I just came to the conclusion that however overpriced and burdensome Waves may be, UAD is worse. I hear some of the UAD plug-ins are good, but I'll never know until they start offering them native.
    inmazevo
    Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3276
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:38:00 (permalink)
    I'm not seeing the cost-per-plugin thing.
    I see it like this:
    $118 per UAD plug-in + their processing (the card)
    vs. $55 per Waves plug-in + your machine's processing

That's a pretty significant difference to me. Processing power is very finite, particularly if you're someone like me who does almost entirely virtual instruments. My VMs need the power.

Then, of course, there's the "Waves factor," which is no small thing to me. Can I get a wup, wup?
    No, Waves, you can't... not from me.

On the other hand, I've heard very few negative things about UAD as a company.

The processing power + the company definitely makes up the cost differential.
    To me, anyway.

Curious, though: what does "native" mean. Perhaps I'm missing an important part of the perspective...

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/27 14:45:49
    AJ_0000
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:42:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: inmazevo

I'm not seeing the cost-per-plugin thing.
    I see it like this:
    $118 per UAD plug-in + their processing (the card)
    vs. $55 per Waves plug-in + your machine's processing

That's a pretty significant difference to me. Processing power is very finite, particularly if you're someone like me who does almost entirely virtual instruments. My VMs need the power.

Then, of course, there's the "Waves factor," which is no small thing to me. Can I get a wup, wup?
    No, Waves, you can't... not from me.

On the other hand, I've heard very few negative things about UAD as a company.

The processing power + the company definitely makes up the cost differential.
    To me, anyway.

Curious, though: what does "native" mean. Perhaps I'm missing an important part of the perspective...

- zevo

I would rather put the money into a computer, which can be used for anything, instead of having to put it into a card that can only run plug-ins from one company.

I've got a DAW with a Core 2 Quad, 4GB of RAM and three 7200 RPM HDs that cost me less than $2000 to build, and it runs everything -- the OS, Sonar, plug-ins, etc.

The Waves bundle I ended up getting is the SSL 4000, at a discount, less than $500. I can run a full project with channel strips on every track and bus compressors on every bus with no problem. To me that makes more sense than plowing all of that money into the UAD setup.

Let's say I bought Waves Mercury for $5000, plus $2000 for the DAW. That still comes out to $77 per Waves plug-in, vs. $118 per UAD. And my DAW effects every aspect of production, not just one set of plug-ins.

I just can't see a justification for the UAD stuff. Like I said, sell them native and they might have a customer.
    post edited by AJ_0000 - 2009/03/27 14:59:37
    inmazevo
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:45:35 (permalink)
    Fair enough.
    Right now, I don't have Waves or UAD, so I'm actually more interested in learning the specifics so I can make an educated decision.

What does "native" mean?
    Is it VST/AU/DXi?

rod
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/27 14:53:12
    AJ_0000
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 14:54:22 (permalink)

Fair enough.
    Right now, I don't have Waves or UAD, so I'm actually more interested in learning the specifics so I can make an educated decision.

What does "native" mean?
    Is it VST/AU/DXi?

rod

Native means it runs on your computer, as opposed to dedicated hardware.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 15:00:57 (permalink)
    Native as in, doesn't require a DSP card. I don't run too many software instruments at a time myself. My typical projects do have multiple instances of Perfect Space, Sonalksis Essentials, Voxengo comps, PSP Multidelay, BFD and maybe a couple of instances of DimPro and I've never gotten over 20% on my CPU usage, so the need for DSP for me is not an issue.

There have been so many issues crop up regarding conflicts and latency issues with UAD cards so it seems that some babysitting is part of the equation. I'm curious to know how many plug in the card and have zero issues to deal with?

And, do I really need twenty different modeled compressors? I dunno. I focus more on capturing the right performances and vibe in the tracking, and I find that mixing just falls into place usually. The biggest improvement in mix tools for me was when I started using Jim Roseberry's IR's with Perfect Space. I'm getting the sonic equivalent of some high end hardware verbs (Lexi and TC) and loving it. Compression isn't something I'm feeling lacking in my current choices.

If UAD had a native option, I'd probably pop for the Distressor just for kicks and giggles but I'm not interested in a buy in for the whole enchilada. Just my two cents.
    yorolpal
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 15:55:46 (permalink)
    Well, first, I don't know where you get your info there AJ but UAD is used fairly ubiquitously in the "Pro" community (as is Waves). Second, although I've asked this before I'm willing to again, what is the difference in paying waves $200.00 per year an update using their WUP plan and paying Cakewalk approximately the same for a yearly update? Assuming you do, of course, as I recall neither Waves or Cake forces you to buy any upgrade.

AJ_0000
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 16:19:00 (permalink)

Well, first, I don't know where you get your info there AJ but UAD is used fairly ubiquitously in the "Pro" community (as is Waves). Second, although I've asked this before I'm willing to again, what is the difference in paying waves $200.00 per year an update using their WUP plan and paying Cakewalk approximately the same for a yearly update? Assuming you do, of course, as I recall neither Waves or Cake forces you to buy any upgrade.

I don't know where you get your info either, but if you have some feel free to share it. I read a lot. Whenever I read an interview with a top engineer and they're asked what plug-ins they use, Waves is the common response. I'm not sure I remember any of them mentioning UAD. Of course these guys would probably not have much use for emulations since they probably have the real thing in the studio, and they generally prefer hardware when possible.

The most obvious thing is just to look at their websites:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=378

http://www.uaudio.com/artists/archive/index.html

Waves has got pretty much everybody you've ever heard of endorsing them. UAD has a few names, but not exactly in the same ballpark.
    rasmus II
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 16:22:06 (permalink)
    Isn't it true that you buy into a motherboard technology that in 4 - 8 years will be more or less unuasable?
    So if you're gonna shell out that amount of money, wouldn't it be more future-proof to buy
    something that's connected by firewire or USB?
    I think the first adopters of the UAD technology is feeling a little burnt already?

Win XP sp3 - Sonar PE 8.3
    Asus P5K-E - Intel Core 2 Q6600
    4GB Corsair DDR2-800 - Echo AudioFire 8
    Focusrite TT Pro - Mackie HR624
    Gregmang
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1592
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 16:30:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: AJ_0000

I don't know where you get your info either, but if you have some feel free to share it. I read a lot. Whenever I read an interview with a top engineer and they're asked what plug-ins they use, Waves is the common response. I'm not sure I remember any of them mentioning UAD. Of course these guys would probably not have much use for emulations since they probably have the real thing in the studio, and they generally prefer hardware when possible.

The most obvious thing is just to look at their websites:

http://www.waves.com/content.aspx?id=378

http://www.uaudio.com/artists/archive/index.html

Waves has got pretty much everybody you've ever heard of endorsing them. UAD has a few names, but not exactly in the same ballpark.

Universal Audio not in the same ballpark ???

WOW.
    j boy
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2729
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 16:59:23 (permalink)
    A fair number of pros use UAD (also Waves, Massey, McDSP, Sonox, etc.). But - these pros have a significant amount of money invested in their instruments, mics, preamps, rooms, PT rigs... not to mention hardware outboard... and the $2K or so invested in UAD is not large relative to this. The hardware gets used for critical tracks and the plugs allow for economical use in multiple instances.

Now take a weekend warrior who buys a $400 guitar, a $100 mic, a $100 preamp, a $400 interface and then splurges $2K on plugs and well, it seems a bit out of balance. I would say concentrate the most of your dosh on the room, monitoring, D/A and most of all, on the instruments. A $100 Squire is gonna sound like cack no matter how many plugins you slather all over it.

OTOH if you really love the plugs and have the budget I'd never think to argue you out of them.
    post edited by j boy - 2009/03/27 17:09:22
    inmazevo
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 17:45:37 (permalink)
    Strange thread.

I do have a question:
    Anyone have a negative opinion about UAD that CURRENTLY HAS a suite of their plugins?

I don't have any, but I'm looking for a suite of effects to complement my system, and I'm honestly curious about real experiences... first hand... preferably from people who've had them for a while.

Anybody with UAD that regrets the decision?

- zevo
    post edited by inmazevo - 2009/03/27 17:57:52
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 18:22:40 (permalink)

Strange thread.

I do have a question:
    Anyone have a negative opinion about UAD that CURRENTLY HAS a suite of their plugins?

I don't have any, but I'm looking for a suite of effects to complement my system, and I'm honestly curious about real experiences... first hand... preferably from people who've had them for a while.

Anybody with UAD that regrets the decision?

- zevo

I have had UAD plugs for nearly 5 years. I originally bought the Studio Pack and purchased more plugs as I could. But now I plan to buy the UAD2 NEVANA very soon. UAD is first class in every respect. In fact, I feel so strongly about their company and it's ethics that I have been buyng their hardware and their plugs for 5 years. Absolutely no issues with customer service anytime I have ever called.

Waves ? A very good friend of mine spent 2K with them about the time I commited to UAD. He moved to Protools 8 recently and the Waves plugs wouldn't work. He said Waves wanted around $500 for the wupgrade just so he could use what he had already paid for.

Exceptional UAD plugs are the plate 140 reveb, LA-2a, 1176, Pultec and Roland Space echo among many others. But the ones I mentioned are just the go to everytime.

Danny

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    jimkleban
    Max Output Level: -64 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1319
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 18:47:57 (permalink)
    OK... I was like everybody else... thinking the tools I had were quite good and that all this hype about the UAD stuff was just that HYPE. Well, I got a surprise refund from the IRS this year and decided to do some further investigation on the UAD stuff.

I watched every video on their site, I joined the forum, I read the over whelming satisfaction of their current user base (yes, there are a few nay sayers saying that the card is just a $1000 dongle) and decided to jump in with a QUAD OMNI.

The install went smooth (much easier than I thought it would be) and my concern of behaving nicely with my creamware cards was totally unwarranted, everything worked smoothly.

Well, after I played around a little and thought I knew enough to start using some of these plugs I was simply in AWE. My only analogy of almost all of the UAD plugs is that these plugs are like HDTV for audio. Simply amazing and since I use 100% virtual instruments, the additional processing of the plugs on the card actually lowered my CPU usage (I am running a new QUAD 9750) and was approaching 50% CPU with the native plugs... now these same projects are running around 30%.

Whoever gave the warning about being HOOKED on UAD, take heed. I bought the three new plugs yesterday just because UAD produced them and I know that they will be great tools in the box. So, it's not should you get a UAD2, it is WHEN.

I can't say enough good things about this product and the company. Top SHELF.

The Lamb Laid Down on MIDI
    www.lldom.com

Studio Cat Custom i7 with Thunderbolt (wonderful system built and configured by our own Jim R)
    Apollo Duo (via TB)
    UAD Quad
    UAD Duo
    WIN 8.1 x64 with 32 GB Ram
    4 SSD for programs and sample libraries
    Splat (latest version)
    pianodano
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1160
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 18:57:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jkleban

The install went smooth (much easier than I thought it would be)

Man is that worth repeating. It's is so refreshing to experience how well they have worked out their license system. I recently set up a new Core i7 and migrated everything over to it. I was really dreading that because I own so many libraries. It took a few days to make the switch, but the UAD stuff was easiest of all. I think it is simply because without the card, the UAD stuff just will not work.
    post edited by pianodano - 2009/03/27 19:16:02

Best,

Danny

Core I7, win XP pro, 3 gig ram, 3 drives- Lynx Aurora firewire- Roll around 27 inch monitor, 42 inch console monitor- Motif xs controller - Networked P4's and FX Teleport for samples- Muse Receptor VIA Uniwire for samples and plugs- UAD QUAD Neve - UAD 1- Sonar X1 but favor 8.5 GUI - Toft ATB 32 - Vintage hardware - Tascam MS-16 synched via Timeline Microlynx -Toft ATB32 console
    inmazevo
    RE: Curious about UAD-2 2009/03/27 19:03:37 (permalink)
    OK, here's a clincher:

I use a Mac Pro, 2.8GHz 8-core... one generation old. Plenty of drive space, plenty of memory.
    Logic Pro and Live on the Mac side. Sonar on the Windows XP side (bootcamp).

Anybody have experience on these guys? (I'll ask on the Logic forum as well, but figured it would be worth asking here...

- zevo
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1