Cutting Down Fan Noise

Author
razor
Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1557
2011/06/07 23:13:50 (permalink)

Cutting Down Fan Noise

Hello--

I finally have a decent studio with sound proofing in the construction and room treatments on the walls--but now I have the background noise of my computer fan.

Has anyone come up with, or found a good products that cuts down on fan noise without having your computer overheat?

I have some room treatments left and I'm thinking of just adhering them to a piece of plywood and putting that in front of the computer--but I wondered if there was something better.

Thanks,

SD

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
Intel i7 4930K CPU
Core i7 SB-E MOBO
16 GB DDR3 RAM
7 TB Storage
Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
UAD-2 DSP
WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
Sound Forge 10 Pro

8 Replies Related Threads

Old55
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 00:24:27 (permalink)
    Are talking about actual fan noise because they're running full speed to cool the system, or are you talking about vibration that are transmitted to the case with is resonating those vibrations? 

The cheapest and easiest fix is rubber or plastic mounting grommets that isolate the fan from the case.

The second possibility would be to replace the fans with silent fans or a controller to regulate the fan speed.  Remember to keep the proper air movement so you don't burn up any components. 

The third option might be to replace the CPU heat sink with a more efficient model which needs less air circulation so you can slow down the fans. 

The fourth choice is then be to treat or replace the case.  Insulation is available to install on your current case.  Other cases are specifically designed to be quiet.  The Antec Performance series is a good example. 

You can find parts here: 

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/index.html

You can find more info here: 

http://www.silentpcreview.com/

Good luck in your quest for silence. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    kristoffer
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 406
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 04:23:17 (permalink)
    All 4 suggestiong from Old55 is exellent, I think.

Have the same problem my self, and have concluded with a Fifth choice: is to move the computer to another room.
    I have only this cables to my computer:
    DVI cables for the screens (easy to get longer cables)
    4xUSB for keyboard, mouse, controller surfaces (BCR2000 and Faderport) and POD X3
    HDMI cable for breakout audio interface

SonarPlatinum/X3e Producer
    HW:
    ~Pod HD pro~Pod X3~JTV-69 US~Tascam FW1884~BEYERDYNAM​IC DT770 PRO~Røde NTK~MaschineMikro~ADAM ARTist5
    W10 - i7 920 - Intel DX58SO2 - Nvidia NVS450 Quad - 12GB OCZ Gold 1600Mhz RAM - Noctua NH-D14 - Corsair TX950w PSU
    - Corsair MX200 500GB OS/Programs - OCZ Agility 3 SSD (Audio) - WD Black 1TB
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 06:04:12 (permalink)
    I had a noisy fan. Replaced it with a silent one. Depends on your machine how heavy duty fan you need. I managed with a rather basic one, so the installing was'n hard.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    RRabbi
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 923
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 10:51:54 (permalink)
    Maybe too, if there is a metal grate in front of any of the fans (part of the case) use a Dremel cutting tool to completely remove the grate. I did that with my last case and found that it cut down 'some' of the noise.

I just ordered a Fractal Designs R3 case, and 4 extra Nexus silent fans. What case & fans do you have?

Dave

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 11:23:32 (permalink)
    It could also be the Power Supply fan.  You can use grommets to isolate the PSU or you can replace the PSU with a quiet one. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    razor
    Max Output Level: -59.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1557
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/08 15:20:49 (permalink)
    thanks for all of the replies. my gpu was overheating and so i got a powerful fan and that fixed the problem. it is the main rear fan and is not on a variable speed. it is always on high. i don't really have the cash to modify my pc right now, so i just wanted to isolate the sound.

i actually got izotope's rx and can yank the fan noise right out of the track, but wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there.

many thanks!

(please excuse all lower case. i'm on my blackberry.)

Stephen Davis

Cakewalk by Bandlab
    Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit
    ADK DAW - (out of business 2018)
    Intel i7 4930K CPU
    Core i7 SB-E MOBO
    16 GB DDR3 RAM
    7 TB Storage
    Layla 3G SoundCard (11.5 ms Roundtrip Latency)
    UAD-2 DSP
    WaveLab 8 Pro 64-bit 
    Sound Forge 10 Pro
    fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/09 06:40:27 (permalink)
    It all comes down to your specific installation.  All the points presented here are areas to consider but you have to apply those or the appropriate ones to your situation.

Case fans, and even "quiet" case fans are relatively inexpensive and won't break the bank.   I have a "gamer" case with lots of fans and it is quiet and nothing had to be changed.  My PC Tower is located within 4 to 5 foot of where I usually have a singer positioned when recording.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re:Cutting Down Fan Noise 2011/06/09 12:05:56 (permalink)
    As has been pointed out... the way to make a quiet DAW is to use quiet components.
    Replace the loud units with quiet units.

It's a bit of a PITA to repace the PS, CPU cooler, video card, case fan/s, etc... but its the solution

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1