DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio?

Author
Humphrey
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/09/13 12:41:54 (permalink)

DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio?

Hi everyone!

I have a problem. I am looking for a some DAW to start my journey with composing film music and I am wondering that maybe this proposition Sonar X3 [Studio] would be great choice for me? I have no ani MIDI controller yet [ I am going to buy one] and I would like to use just instruments which would be build in this programm. I would like to write and make music for movies, advertisements so I guess that live view for video clip would be necessary. I would that DAW will be cooperating with other VST plugins for instance with EastWest products. Of course this DAW would be temporary because thanks to it I would like to improve my music skills, get some experience and earn some money for my next the correct program.

What do you thing about that? Do you think that Sonar X3 exactly in this version [STUDIO] will be enough for me?

Maybe you think that live view is not necessary so maybe better choice would be FL Studio PRODUCER? Which of this two programs would be better for making film music?

Thanks for answers!

7 Replies Related Threads

bz2838
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 366
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/13 13:01:26 (permalink)
    I recommend X3 Producer over Studio for film work because of the extra instruments and the pro channel that are both included in Producer and not Studio.

Purrrfect Audio:  Intel i7 7700k (Kabylake), 32Gig DDR4/2133, Windows 10x64 Pro, USB RME Babyface, Sonar Platinum Current
    Humphrey
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/13 13:51:44 (permalink)
    Ok, I understand. So what about FL Studio? Maybe this proposition? They have lifetime free updates. 
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/13 14:15:19 (permalink)
    I would not reccomend FL Studio for film work. It's workflow excels at pattern based music that works well with pop/hip-hop/edm but is not the most intuitive outside of those areas. It's possible to make orchestral compositions in the same way that it is possible to make the Mona Lisa using Microsoft paint. Just not the way most would prefer.
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/13 14:17:06 (permalink)
    With that said, fl is useful as a plugin and supplement to other DAWS since it is very easy and intuitive to "make beats"
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/14 12:41:47 (permalink)
    I've done a ton of audio for video, much of it with Sonar but what's right depends on what kind of work you'll be doing. If you get a video that just needs a score, Sonar will do the job - you can change tempos as needed, lock effects to time instead of bars/beats, etc. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/14 12:49:25 (permalink)
    Sonar is a great composition tool - esp. w/ midi.  FLS is not, tho on the forums there used to be plenty of works that were for more complex than I imagined possible w/ the tool.  But still, FLS would not be my choice, tho it is wonderful for producing beats and is a lot of fun.  Basically, any DAW is capable of making scores.  Your question is akin to asking which Word processing program is best for writing.  They will all work.

For film/video you'll need VSTs, esp. large orchestral synths.  These are sample-based, usually, and there are many to choose from.  Sonar Pro provides some good synths, including dimpro, which has some nice orchestral sampling, tho not as complete as East/West and other large libraries.  Dimpro is more of a lot of stuff rather than having a gigabyte of triangles with every possible hit/stroke of the instrument.  There are libraries for it, and a lot of SFZ libraries.  For orchestra I'd get Kontakt (the sample engine) and add libraries as you need them.  Lots of pertinent stuff for Kontakt since it is the most popular sample engine around.  If you wait until Christmas you can pick it up cheap (probably).  Libraries like Heavyocity (you can hear there stuff all over TV) will also probably go on sale.  Kontakt, combined w/ SONAR and its synths (plus a few other nice free VSTs) ought to give you enough to get started and not feel too limited.  And once you get everything working, you don't need to upgrade your computer and system until you want to.  I still keep an XP computer for a couple of programs that don't work on higher OS's.  In fact, "upgrading" is a pain in the neck and shouldn't be a concern until you have mastered your system and you absolutely need to.  It may be simple - it may take weeks/months to get it working as well as your old one.  These days, computers are fast enough so you don't need to upgrade every year or two, unless you just like the bleeding edge.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: DAW for making film music? Answer is Sonar X3 Studio? 2014/09/15 14:43:13 (permalink)
    I have made a good living scoring to picture with Sonar.  Sonar is short in some areas like video and notation, but pair it up with programs like Sibelius and Sony Movie Studio (Cheap version of Vegas) and you are good to go.  In fact I believe you are much better off.  Sonar's strengths are its audio engine (which allows better mixing and Virtual instrument handling than other DAWs) and composition workflow.  

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1