DIY JLM Baby Animal and other DIY.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Mully
Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1545
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/26 05:59:04 (permalink)
Ok the boards are built and ready for testing but on the 1290 hookup sheet for the everything kit option, it shows a trim pot that doesn't come up on the JLM Shop site for the 1290 options. Dangit! So today have ordered the switch pot in question and also ordered a pad pot kit for the Go Between Plus kit.

The Go Between pot kit gives you an extra 25dB of variable pad which could be useful and I've got space so why not. Pad switch still works and you end of with 45dB of pad with 25 of it being variable... nice.

One thing to note to is that the 1290 has a through board hole for mounting. It won't go vertically in a 1RU like the BA and you need this hole for stabilizing etc. Have attached some pix. A 'standard' pcb standoff will not fit so I trimmed one a bit to get it to fit nicely. The first pic shows it in position although it does bump into the heat sink screw head... no biggy. There's other options but this one is simple.

Letter stamped draft front panel.

One thing that should be obvious is to stuff the 1290 board before mounting the pre assembled boards. This is a simple kit once again but I did note that a finer tip (or accurate soldering skills) are definitely required to put this board together properly. There is a lot of cramming in this boards which appears to be the norm with JLM gear, no doubt in an effort to maintain the lowest footprint etc. You don't want to have to rework any simple errors once the modules are fitted. The relay was obvious too once orientation became obvious. The board has an indication on the overlay.

My 1290 board also had a poor overlay... needed to refer to the website pic a bit but it was no show stopper.

Anyway, now to finalize the front panel layout for the CAD import so we can mill these beasts up and get the new JLM loaded rack mounted in it's natural habitat!

EDIT
Hey Millzy I just saw your posts you norty potty mouth. We must have posted at the same time yesterday!
Very keen for the last bits to arrive so I can get these pres racked up and finished off.

Today the XLRs arrived that I want to use for this project and now only waiting for mill bits (on their way) and the pot options from JLM (also on their way). I've milled some wood no problem and will do a test mill on aluminum once the right bits actually arrive.... a CNC mill just for your own panels is a very cool ting to have on standby I have to say.

Have also redone the front panel layout and now that the 1290 is built, will actually mount all switches horizontal. JLM 'tradition' appears to be vertical (to accommodate 1RU designs methinks) but I'm old school and the vertical switching never quite gels with me like the 'up for off' and 'down for on' method. The 1290 will not mount vertically in a 1RU case BTW. Also the TREX is fitted in the case and adjusted to 24VDC ready for the 1290... possibly THE simplest kit ever put together.

Right now I am keen and ready to do final front panel lay out and mill it up, then mount everything to it for the last time and we are set to go assuming the 1290 plays as expected. Have to say that also that the 1290 needs some attention paid to incidental solder bridges and the like. You need to take your time populating this board as some things are quite close. This thing actually 'looks' like it is going to sound good.

Best cheers.
post edited by Mully - 2009/07/27 02:33:57

ASUS H270, i7-7700, JLM BA & 1290, LA2A Opto4, loads of guff.
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/27 12:23:36 (permalink)
Ok, here's the near final draft of the front panel layout.

A few blue reference lines but otherwise each channel left to right has XLR/6.5 combo input jack, DI 6.5 I/P jack, Pad switch, Phase switch, Phantom switch, Gain, Impedance (BA) or Trim (1290). There may be a variable pad yet for the 1290 to go in, that will be decided on once it arrives.

Plan is to use chicken knobs against the Alltronics aluminum panel with LEDs above each phantom switch. Only things at rear will be XLR O/P jacks, 6.5 O/P jacks (may go combo on those as well) and the DC 2.5mm input jack for power.

Still have to print and test the scale to real world but measurements are about right. The 1290's variable pad may go above the pad switch level with the adjacent phantom LED with a mini knob.

Once the layout is firmed up I'll do a test mill on some sacrificial plastic or something to dry run it all. Nearly there.

Crap, just realized I've left the power switch and LED off. Will add once the pad knob is(if) added. Plenty of room to juggle as the vanity text takes up plenty of space.

millzy
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/28 05:52:58 (permalink)
Hey mate, looking fantastic! And now that i'm heading into your territory (different modules in one rack) i'm wondering how to get my rack panel drilled and looking professional like yours. Is this something you would do again for a fee? Or has it been a PITA?

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/29 05:22:59 (permalink)
It would be my pleasure to mill you up a panel mate. I'm running with the Altronics version and I'll list a shot once done for your reference.

All you need to do is CAD up your layout and email the file across... dunno if you have a panel in mind to use? Would you post one across or I can buy it and we sort it out somehow or whatever suits..... whatever, let me know if I can help at all.

Cheers.

baslotto
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/30 01:58:59 (permalink)
Hello everyone.
First post here to ask a huge help.
I just got my first DIY JLM Dual 99v kit and I can't for the life of me find instructions and pictures. Could anybody please address me towards a website, a pdf file or anything so that I can go ahead and start building my pre?
I promise photos and sound samples day by day on this forum.

Thank you so much for any help.
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/30 06:36:16 (permalink)
Hey there bas, and welcome to the forums!

There should be enough detail for you here: http://www.jlmaudio.com/N...overlay%20with%20Z.pdf

If I can help at all, then please let me know. Still to do the dual once I can justify the use of it..... BUT I do have a ribbon mic on it's way.

Be great if you post up your related stuff for sure.

Cheers.

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/30 06:39:47 (permalink)
Hey Mick i tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive PM's. What's the easiest way to PM ya? I was actually going to give you my mob no and/or ask for yours so i could give ya a quick call. I figured a quick chat would be easier than typing out my questions to ya!

Millzy

i7 3770K, 16gb ram, Samsung EVO SSD, 2 x WD drives, RME Babyface, Win 10 (x64), Cakewalk by Bandlab, heaps of other stuff.
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/30 06:49:25 (permalink)
Hey mate dunno why the pm thing doesn't work, just had a looksee and can't find any mystery settings etc....

Feel free to email me through pure-tone.com anytime. I get those every time I'm in the orifice which is usually every day.

Sweet.

BTW.... looking at CamBam to finish/redo the panel (about to crank it up now). Hanging to get it finished but having trouble getting text to mill right... wrong fonts etc BUT am near the end, plus the new Sonar 8 got in the way. Groaning to get the 1290 firing......

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/30 08:13:11 (permalink)
Cool, thanks Mick. Yeah if I was you i'd be like a 3 yr old watching the Dodgem cars go past! When do i get a turn!?

Millzy

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/31 09:07:16 (permalink)
Yeah, TRUTH!

Got Sonar 8 screaming for some lovin', a mill yelling for G code and two beastly pre amps putting their hands up for some serious crankin'.

..just need to retire early to get some quality time in the shed/studio methinks.

Will be all cool soon.

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/07/31 23:30:42 (permalink)
OK, I'm done!! Spoke with Joe on the phone yesterday and he answered all my questions so i have now ordered a 1290 and dual 99V module with di's/output trannies/case/psu etc. YAY! I'm on the band wagon!

Millzy

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/01 06:04:45 (permalink)
SWEET AS MATE! Case as well is a good idea I have to say if you just want to 'get it done'.

I've run into some challenges getting fonts right for the front panel but have nearly solved it after a trial run this afternoon that worked.

I'm looking at the pres and just FANGIN' to get 'em up and running. If the final route works ok (tomorrow hopefully) then they'll be good to go. Did you go for the extra pot(s) for the 1290?

99V dual... cool. Thinking about one of them with the MAC compressor sandwiched with it into a standalone unit.

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/01 09:18:39 (permalink)
Yeah i was gunna go down your path of re-designing the front panel etc hence my question to you about milling. However after my chat to Joe, i decided to stick with a supplied 2x dual99v panel which he will re-badge with 1290 on one side, dual 99v on the other and fit the modules into that. The dual 99v module has the additional pot for input impeadance, but not the 1290 which will leave me with a hole in the front panel (as i'm using the twin dual 99v front panel re-badged.) However, Joe said he would think of what i could do on the 1290 side with an extra pot (or he could not drill it and just leave it as is.) Which leads to me to your question about the 1290 extra pot - i didnt think it had that option????? Mmmmm better check that out. Anyway sounds like you're close mate, good work! I'm finally getting excited (and impatient!) OK Mick, keep me updated. Speak soon,

Millzy

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/04 05:57:13 (permalink)
Hey Mick got your 1290 firing yet??

Millzy

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/04 06:42:22 (permalink)
Hey mate... sorry I haven't belled you yet. Been moving office space around and getting all bent out of shape at work. Will do it though! Keen to yap with you.

Hey the 1290 is staring at me in it's preassembled states. The plan being to simply route up the final rack panel and fit the 1290 to it as part of final assembly. Well when I did some trial routes with the mill, I discovered that the whole engraving process needed a bit more CNC set up than I thought. Anywho, after loads of homework, I'm good to go as soon as the new mill bits arrive... yep, dopey here had the wrongs ones thinking they would work and hadn't quite mastered his G code with respect to spiral drilling etc. Doh!

So right now, I can't wait any longer and am heading out to the frosty shed tonight to drill up the trial panel and get the 1290 up and running. If she's all done tonight mate I'll be posting a sample or two asap.

One recurring thought though is I'm still keen on a peak LED... can see it being useful even though Sonar has metering etc... a peak LED when you're the player being tracked would be handy.

Anyway... to the shed!

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/04 10:44:56 (permalink)
UPDATE
After around 3 hours tonight I got the 1290 all fabbed up into some proposed locations in the rack with the 'dummy' panel. Pretty well ready to do last couple of hook ups and then it's smoke test time. It's 1145pm so thought it wise to go do some more homework on the JLM hookup details for the output tranny coz I've discovered that the BA and the 1290 have different connections shown from what I've seen on the JLM site. Never wise to apply power when fatigued either.....

Suspect the BA tranny hookup may not be right after looking at the PDF for the 1290 hookup so will seek some clarification from our friends in QLD about that. Basically the site on the BA page shows the old tranny hookup being different to the new tranny hookup.... keen to make sure which is correct for both. The BA already sounds incredible so either way is a win really.

Another piccy for you of the bits assembled:

This is how I left the rack inside tonight. Nearly ready to test and then a tidy up:

Here with the lid on looking very scruffy and nowhere near complete (ignore the blank hole under RHS switch.. please ):

Couple of things from this dry fit is that my proposed front panel is missing some scale as there is NO way I will fit everything to the front as drawn in the CAD. The front XLR too is only for the test run as I have combo ones to be milled for the final version.

Chicken head knobs are always cool and I think they are possibly the best option for the 1290 as the gain pot indents are quite rigid and the chicken heads make it a breeze. Deciding on the gain pot center point for milling purposes will be interesting as the knob is difficult to align to an even space between fully CW and fully CCW and you don't have an option to rotate the pot a little to get it perfectly centered. No biggy however.

In short the beast rack is nearly there. Definitely think it is worth getting a connection diagram from JLM for the proposal you have for something like this. It is good fun but it does use a lot of time chasing the site etc and working out how things should be connected. The kits are excellent but unless you are in contact with the boys, you will struggle I think if at the novice level.... unless you buy a full kit with everything in it... then the questions get basic.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the update...

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/05 06:05:48 (permalink)
Mate looking fantastic, lets hope you're happy with the sound after all your efforts to customize the look! When i spoke with Joe the other day he knew who you were "yeah the guy from Adelaide who is milling up his own rack......."
Good work Mick!

Millzy

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/05 10:22:06 (permalink)
Hey thanks mate. I fired a question to the banana men today to clarify the trafo connections for each pre. Couldn't get to the shed tonite but did some panel layout with regard to the scale muck up... I think I didn't factor the width of the 1290 board itself which dictates the distance it's pot will be from anything adjacent.

Anyway, new layout will be fine and will keep power switch on front which I was worried may not fit. Had some engraving tips arrive from RS today but I reckon I'll wait for the Dremel ones I've ordered. Need those cuts to be very neat and precise.

It was cool to see "JLM Preamp" engraved/milled into some scrap ally last weekend.

Have decided the DI board will go vertical as it will be difficult to support the board if horizontal. The Go Between needs to go upside down because I want the toggle switches to be 'down' for 'on'.

Anyway, stay well and more to come!

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/08 04:31:46 (permalink)
Alright the 1290 has been connecyed up and given a quick run now Joe has clarified a couple of details for me. All went well and a sample of bass DI through the 1290 shows a very subtle difference to my ears compared to the BA. There is a slight silkiness that the BA doesn't have.. on the DI's bass anyway.

Keen to try some mic comparisons. Did a couple of quick mic checks to make sure all features worked and it all runs great. Must say too that the clickable gain pot is excellent... solid feature and the by-passable trim pot is a bonus.

... did I mention that there is PLENTY of gain with the 1290. Lashings.

Will post some samples if I get some time tomorrow.

millzy
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/08 18:11:22 (permalink)
Good job! Fantastic when a plan comes off! I cant wait for mine to arrive, it shipped Wednesday but nothing in the mail so probably Mon i should get the package. Anyway, looks like you're done an incredible job mate, top work!

Millzy

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/08 18:27:42 (permalink)
Hey thanx Millzy. Joe sorted a couple of things out that weren't clear on all the site info.

a) The output trafo basically uses two windings in series and one single for the input so I've used the PDF for the 1290 everything kit as the guide for both preamps now.

b) There is a choice in resistors for the 1290 pot switch and Joe says it only sets the 6dB point so no biggy there either.

We have visitors today so looking forward to recording some stuff tonight. Cutting mills didn't arrive in time for the weekend so all going well mate, I should have the panel milled and everything finished up this week. Major learning curves all round with all the new stuff but hasn't it been a ride... so far.

You're going to love these things. It's funny how quick you accept this quality of sound as normal now. Plugging the MOTU pre back in quickly soon reminded me though.

Thanks for the kind words.

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/19 08:26:24 (permalink)
Ok the rack is milled (some errors... oops.) but the 1290 and the BA now co-habitate and here's a quick sample of the 1290 uploaded... just a bit of flanged Strat straight in (VERY old strings BTW) and a Hagstrom bass straight into the 1290 as well... both are into the balanced inputs and not the DI inputs.

1290 Sample Here: http://www.soundclick.com...994&songID=7993051

Nothing flash at all but hopefully gives youa snap shot of what the 1290 is like BUT it is going to sound excellent once I get to play with it a bit more.

Cheers.

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/08/19 10:04:26 (permalink)
More photos.

Ok there are LOTS of errors in the milling that I won't point out as this effort really is written off as a learning process. Right now the Baby Animal and the 1290 Pre Amps are both working units and they sound extraordinary.

The Altronics racks are fine and inexpensive but the front panel by itself when bought as a separate item needs to be drilled for screws which was disappointing but there ya go.

As for engraving the front panel... might look at other options. To get an excellent result requires a lot of setup and to be honest, the point of this was to get some quality gear, built to a professional 'shed' standard and get some tracks done. Engraving is very time consuming although you can get some spectacular results.

Milling is awesome if you want to knock up your cases etc in quick time with precises results.

Anyway.... thanks for watching.

Wiz
Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 699
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/10 15:48:51 (permalink)
Just wanted to say thanks for posting the info...I was searching around for JLM baby animal info..and found the read ...thanks...

PS, now in bundy, used to live in melbourne....8)..

cheers

Wiz

PS after using both pre's for a while, what do you think...I am considering the BABY ANIMAL
ch

Wiz's Album "Forty Years" done with Sonar 7!

http://www.ozlandmusic.com/ozlandstudios/Preview_music.html

Wiz On Itunes
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/11 04:55:30 (permalink)
Wiz how are you.. bet you're not missing Vic after moving up there mate?

Down the road a bit with these pres now and definitely notice some subtle and welcome difference between the 1290 and the BA. I'll go to the 1290 every time for DI bass.. just love it with the warm detail, especially on new strings. Certainly the solution for bass I've been looking for.

For acoustic guitar with a decent condenser the BA is now the favorite. Quite uncolored, detailed and allowing the acoustic nuances to come through especially through a good compressor like the RNC, was absolutely happy. VERY clean pre and both have pad, phantom, DI options and more. Really works well.

Also worth saying that the new Alctron 11A valve mic is blowing me away through the 1290 with it's detail and "breathy" texture on the right vocal.... if I could settle on a LA2A build project (or maybe the JLM MAC..?), then I think I'd be in tracking heaven to be honest. Still surprised by how well vocal through this arrangement sit in the mix.

I certainly wouldn't hesitate going down this path again. Joe is more than available and the designs sound superb.

Let me know if you need any info Wiz. Happy to share the joys of JLM pres.

Cheers!

Wiz
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/17 05:56:19 (permalink)
Well I just finished up my BA2 everything kit.

Build went well, and was a couple of things I wasnt sure of...Joe soon sorted me out.

Spent a couple of hours playing with them tonight, and they sound really good.  The variable impedance control works really well with some of my mics...

wondering about the compressor....8)..

Wiz

Wiz On Itunes
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/17 10:38:02 (permalink)
Hey Wiz that is sweet mate, well done. That impedance option is pretty cool alright.... found it handy once or twice to get a mic just right.

That MAC compressor sounds pretty good alright and Joe replied to a query briefly mentioning how it can approximate an LA2A or other with different settings. Pretty keen to get it built ... except the VS 700 has started to tempt again... decisions.

In the meantime I've grabbed an RNC to get by.

Let us know if you put any samples up of your new beastly pres Wiz!

Cheers.

Wiz
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/18 04:27:14 (permalink)
Mully

Hey Wiz that is sweet mate, well done. That impedance option is pretty cool alright.... found it handy once or twice to get a mic just right.

That MAC compressor sounds pretty good alright and Joe replied to a query briefly mentioning how it can approximate an LA2A or other with different settings. Pretty keen to get it built ... except the VS 700 has started to tempt again... decisions.

In the meantime I've grabbed an RNC to get by.

Let us know if you put any samples up of your new beastly pres Wiz!

Cheers.

Hi Mully

I used to own a RNC, and a RNLA...8)...good units...specially at their price point...in fact I had the trifecta....8)....RNP as well...8)....

your wish on a sample..is my command...8)...I did my first test recording this afternoon...

www.mdeanbrown.com/oztex/babyanimaltest.mp3

I put a JLM input transformer in mine, and a 99NV op amp.

There is acoustic guitar, vocal, and dobro, all through the BA2.

NO EQ at ALL!!!!!...8)

Just UAD LA2A compression, Pristine Space convolution reverb with M7 briscasti room impulse,

The vocal is mic'd with a Mojave MA200  the acoustic guitar is mic'd with a mojave MA100 and the dobro is mic'd with a sm57.

cheers

Wiz

Wiz On Itunes
Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/26 08:06:34 (permalink)
Hey Wiz I just fond your reply mate... apologies for no response. Will have a listen when I get back to the room where the good sounds play and start to rave about how good it all sounds. Well that's what I'm expecting to happen anyway.

Looking forward to hearing this......

Mully
RE: The JLM Baby Animal Pre DIY 2009/11/28 23:07:39 (permalink)
Wiz this is great mate... don't know if I liked the song or the sound the most!

...just sounds excellent all round. Well done.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1