DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought

Author
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
2010/11/02 18:05:39 (permalink)

DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought

My PC has recently been doing funny things with programs that have worked without issue for months or longer.  The machine is a dual core Intel (about 5 years old) with 2G running XP SP 3.  Not that I expect anyone to diagnose the cause from the information here, the symptom is programs freezing (sometimes to the point where I have to disrupt power in order to shut down Windows).  The errant programs invariably show up twice in the task manager (both “not responding”).

Question 1: How long do I need to run memtest for a valid result?  Last night I let it run for a little over three hours and it completed three passes.  No errors, but is this sufficient, or should I, say, run it overnight?

Question 2: I have yet to run disk check.  Is one pass enough (assuming no errors found in the first pass) or should I run it multiple times to be confident of the result?

Question 3: I’ve got up to date virus protection (MacAfee) but I’ll run a full disk virus scan anyway as soon as I get a chance.  But is there any other home diagnostic I should/could be running before carting the machine in for professional treatment?

Thanks for any advice.

12 Replies Related Threads

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/02 21:47:28 (permalink)
    The odds of finding a memory error after 3 negative runs of memtest are pretty small. It costs little to run it overnight, but if you are having frequent problems, it is unlikely to reveal anything new.

Run chkdsk once with options including a free space check and if it is not helping give up.

McAffee is unlikely to miss anything significant if real time scanning is enabled. If it does not find a problem on a single run, it will probably not find one on subsequent runs.

A professional is going to be pretty much stuck with what you are. It is a bit hard to imagine a hardware problem that will produce duplicate programs in task manager not responding. If you have a good recent disk image, image the buggy setup to be sure you are not losing anything and restore the one that was working and see if that helps. If not, reinstalling everything is a viable option. A registry repair program might be helpful if you are not ready to go that far, but save an image before you do much mucking about.

fsr76
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 56
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/03 19:32:30 (permalink)
    Do you have any other programs that you can run besides Sonar to ensure that the system is stable overall?

If you can confirm stability of the computer aside from Sonar, then chances are that some process within Sonar is causing the system to crash. 

This is not to say that Sonar is the issue, but something related to running Sonar could possibly be the cause.  Like audio driver, video driver, plugin version, etc.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    post edited by fsr76 - 2010/11/03 19:40:39
    n0rd
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 237
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/03 22:41:33 (permalink)
    slartabartfast

The odds of finding a memory error after 3 negative runs of memtest are pretty small. It costs little to run it overnight, but if you are having frequent problems, it is unlikely to reveal anything new.

+1 Agreed. Start test before you go to bed - check when you wake up or when you get back from work the following day etc

slartabartfast

Run chkdsk once with options including a free space check and if it is not helping give up.

McAffee is unlikely to miss anything significant if real time scanning is enabled. If it does not find a problem on a single run, it will probably not find one on subsequent runs.

+1. If check disk doesn't find anything the first time - don't bother running multiple times.

Question: In the five years you have had this computer, have you ever re-formatted and re-installed the operating system. If not, you might want to backup everything and try that. (You would want to backup everything before taking your system somewhere anyway just in case).

If you do end up taking it somewhere - get quotes first. Most will say "we won't know how much it'll cost until we take a look" and neglect to tell you that just "looking" costs you $$$.

Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/03 23:50:30 (permalink)
    When things like this start to happen, often times it's a sign of something hardware-wise preparing to go. Certainly run Disk Check, that could easily explain and fix a problem of this nature. 

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

dmbaer
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/04 13:21:58 (permalink)
    fsr76

Do you have any other programs that you can run besides Sonar to ensure that the system is stable overall?

If you can confirm stability of the computer aside from Sonar, then chances are that some process within Sonar is causing the system to crash. 

This is not to say that Sonar is the issue, but something related to running Sonar could possibly be the cause.  Like audio driver, video driver, plugin version, etc.

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Happily, for the moment anyway Sonar is fine (not that I'm currently using it much and certainly not stressing its operation in any way). 

I first noticed a problem with VST synths run under SaviHost.  They used to all work and now all freeze.  I reinstalled newly downloaded drivers to my M-Audio 2496 card, but no joy.  Since SaviHost deplyment uses multiple executables, one per VST, a corrupted SaviHost is not a suspect.  I thought the problem was limited to SaviHost, but the other day I found Nero CD creation got hung up prior to any burn processing.  In this case, I was able to launch it a few more times and got a session that worked.  No other problem behavior is evident in any other applications so far.

I intend to do a registry clean this weekend ... never been done.  I don't expect that to help but you never know.  I'll probably reinstall Nero as well.  Can't hurt and won't disrupt anything else.

I'd like to try reinstalling ASIO drivers, but I'm at a loss to figure out what to download and install.
    dmbaer
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/04 13:29:57 (permalink)
    n0rd

Question: In the five years you have had this computer, have you ever re-formatted and re-installed the operating system. If not, you might want to backup everything and try that. (You would want to backup everything before taking your system somewhere anyway just in case).

If you do end up taking it somewhere - get quotes first. Most will say "we won't know how much it'll cost until we take a look" and neglect to tell you that just "looking" costs you $$$.
    No, I've never reinstalled Windows.  This may be a dumb question, but I assume that when you do what you suggest that you then have to reinstall everything from scratch, right?  I mean I've done the same sort of thing when moving to a new computer, but lordy! ... that's a lot of work. 

At this point, given the age of the machine, I'd probably just opt for a new machine if I have to go to all that trouble anyway.  My grand plan includes acquisition of a high dedicated DAW machine in about a year, but I don't need a faster, more current machine for anything else, so I don't have the incentive of using this as an opportunity/excuse to upgrade in the near future.
    fsr76
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/04 14:18:28 (permalink)
    @dmbaer

Reinstalling ASIO drivers entails uninstalling the M-Audio driver and reinstalling it.  The ASIO drivers are a part of the M-Audio installer.

I'm not a big fan of MacAfee because it seems to take security measures into it's own hands, and possibly it's running some background processes that's causing the computer to get hung up?

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    dmbaer
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/04 18:49:01 (permalink)
    fsr76

@dmbaer

Reinstalling ASIO drivers entails uninstalling the M-Audio driver and reinstalling it.  The ASIO drivers are a part of the M-Audio installer.

I'm not a big fan of MacAfee because it seems to take security measures into it's own hands, and possibly it's running some background processes that's causing the computer to get hung up?

Fred
    PCAudioLabs

So, I guess you're saying I just did install the latest WSIO drivers without realizing I did so?  Well, I can check that one off the list.

MacAfee has been present for ages.  SaviHost-ed synths ran just fine for quite a while.  No changes to MacAfee for a very long time (other than the auto database refresh).  I'm not saying it's not MacAfee, but MacAfee isn't very high on the likely suspects list.  Thanks for your input, nevertheless, Fred.
    fsr76
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/11 20:35:01 (permalink)
    Yeah, it's most likely not MacAfee, but because you mentioned it was scanning files, I thought maybe it was scanning files in the background during the time you experienced issues.  Just a thought.  Where is the situation at right now?

Fred
    PCAudioLabs
    Rok Box MC
    dmbaer
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/12 17:07:20 (permalink)
    fsr76

Yeah, it's most likely not MacAfee, but because you mentioned it was scanning files, I thought maybe it was scanning files in the background during the time you experienced issues.  Just a thought.  Where is the situation at right now?

I ran reg. clean (Clary Utilities ... not a bad little package for the money).  I also disabled the sound drivers that are for the MB (Realtech, I think they'e called).  The only difference is that I can start a SaviHost hosted synth and while it still hangs, Windows will shut down of its own accord and I don't have to manually cut off power to the PC to get it to shut down.

Since the SaviHost is the only thing currently causing problems, I'm just going to leave it at that.  Sonar works fine for hosting synths, it just takes longer to start.  I tried another shareware micro-host but it didn't work either (different problem though ... doesn't hang but no sound).

Oh yeah ... I'm doing disk image backups a little more frequently these days just in case.  
    RogerS
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 330
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/12 20:01:11 (permalink)
    dmbaer - I'm also having problems with SaviHost on my Win7-64 PC. I miss it because it was great for quickly loading instruments from the desktop. But anyway, the vsthost program from the same site seems to be fine (though not as elegant).

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

PE 8.5.3,  Windows 7 Pro 64-bit,  i7 920,  GA-EX58-UD4P,  6gb Corsair DDR3,  2 x Barracuda 500gb,  HIS Radeon GS-4670 Fanless 1gb DDR3, dual 24" monitors,  Axiom 61,  Korg Triton Pro,  Focusrite Saffire Pro 40,  VG-99,  Yamaha MSP5,  Fostex PM0.5       
    dmbaer
    Re:DIY PC Diagnostic Advice Sought 2010/11/15 17:00:44 (permalink)
    RogerS

dmbaer - I'm also having problems with SaviHost on my Win7-64 PC. I miss it because it was great for quickly loading instruments from the desktop. But anyway, the vsthost program from the same site seems to be fine (though not as elegant).

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

Hey thanks, Roger.  I wasn't aware of vsthost.  Come the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend, I'll definitely give it a try.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1