DIY Speaker design?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2010/11/05 10:27:27 (permalink)

DIY Speaker design?

Hi,

I want to build a 2x10 sealed cabinet for guitar speakers.

I've used BoxPlot for several 2 way speaker designs and enjoyed the results.

I bought a pair of old JBL K110 speakers that seem to be in dang near new looking condition.

I have some of these speakers in open cabinets and then can't take much power. I want to try a sealed box to see what they can do.

I have the data for the speakers.

So, here's where I am getting stumped. Boxplot and the other speaker box programs I am fooling with are doing all kinds of powerful things like designing ports and crossovers. The simple choices are intended for sub woofers.

I can't find a set of choices and results that seem to apply to a simple 2x10 full range sealed enclosure.

I used BoxPlot to predict a ideal volume of 2.32 cu ft but I am unsure if that result was really intended for my intended use. I used what it thinks is a sub woofer with no EQ pass filter or crossover and so got an ideal low extension for a sealed box (you can go lower at less power capacity with a tuned port) but I don't know if the results are also OK for a full range.

DIY speaker websites seem to be unfocused lately so I'm wondering if anyone here has some thoughts or might be able to run the the JBL k110 speaker specs through a design procedure using something hey are familiar with.

It's been a long time since I brok out a speaker design book... I've relied on BoxPlot. Maybe I should break out a book. :-)

thanks,
mike

5 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Re:DIY Speaker design? 2010/11/07 07:48:38 (permalink)
    Bump... if anyone has a suggestion for a speaker building forum that isn't archived from the early 2000's I'd appreciate the suggestion.

I'm finding a lot of defunct sites that have skeletal remains on the net... but nothing that seems vibrant and full of discussions. I am optimistic a good site is out there and that I just haven't found the right place yet.

best regards,
    mike

ptheisen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:DIY Speaker design? 2010/11/07 10:39:06 (permalink)
    Since no one else has responded, I'll give it a shot. I used to build hi-fi speakers, but haven't kept up with it in recent years, so take what I say with a grain of salt. As you mentioned, the box volume is one of the factors that determines the low frequency response of the speaker. But my understanding is that it would have no affect on frequencies above about 400 hz. What will have an affect on the frequencies above 400 hz is whether you use acoustic absorption material inside the box to dampen internal reflections of those frequencies. A lot of guitar speakers have little or no acoustic absorption material, which tends to result in a peaky, bright and perhaps harsh tone. Because it is so common, people are certainly used to this tone and some may even prefer it. Dampening the internal reflections will result in a more balanced, natural tone that should be truer to the actual sound the guitar/amp combo is putting out. It all depends on the sound you are trying to achieve.
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re:DIY Speaker design? 2010/11/07 10:45:00 (permalink)
    Thanks my main interest is in using these in a sealed box to see how the sound compares to the ones I have mounted open open back cabs.

The K110 is on of the most efficient speakers JBL ever made and it can overload at some frequencies well below the rated capacity. I am curious to see what happens with the higher power handling associated with sealed enclosures.

I may or may not stuff it.

I would like the end result to serve as a guitar voice speaker so I appreciate all the thoughts you have shared.

best regards,
    mike

ptheisen
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 173
    Re:DIY Speaker design? 2010/11/07 11:47:00 (permalink)
    I'm sure the sound of the sealed box will be significantly different than that of the open box. I haven't worked with open box designs, but wouldn't you expect the bass response of the open box to be quite a bit less than either a sealed or tuned port box?

Again, I'm probably not saying anything you don't already know, but the "higher power handling" of the sealed box is only due to the fact that it is less efficient at the lowest frequencies, compared to a tuned port box. The good things about the sealed box are that the bass response is smoother, with a more gradual rolloff, and the driver is less susceptible to over-excursion and distortion. This would make it more desirable as a multipurpose speaker, but possibly less so for a dedicated guitar speaker.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re:DIY Speaker design? 2010/11/07 14:26:34 (permalink)
    I'm just taking a blind shot too, There was something about using air suspension type speakers in a sealed box. Those are the ones with a foam outer ring. Anyhow..
    My self I have successfully built a sealed box for a 12" Celestion green back. They are meant to go in a Marshall sealed cabinet so I didn't think to hard about what I was doing. I just made the box the same size as my Fender Princeton so it would "look" good :)   no science at all.
    It is a totally different sound than the open back combo which is a Celestion Vintage 10", More bass for sure.  I've used it for 20 years . It not only gives me a fuller sound but gets the little princeton up at beer can level too. I just mike up which speaker stricks my fancey that gig or session. I also use it by putting it in an isolated closed room for tracking and disconnect the combo speaker.
    Funny thing happens is sometimes I play a low note and  the jack will pop out! That's tight.
    I built it out of birch plywood and lined it with yellow insulation I got from work they use for HVAC ducts.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1