DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT?

Author
nyhatco
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 176
2005/01/13 18:29:08 (permalink)

DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT?

hey dudes

I listen to alot of the songs posted here out of curiosity. Kinda gives me a peek at what others are doing in their HOME studios. And i stress HOME cause I assume everyone producing music on this forum is .... well .... home and not in a professional enviroment.

The one thing that no one ever mentions in their quest to sound better is practicing their instrument.

Don't you think Good musicianship outweighs a less than perfect recording every time? Should'nt good musicians be the foundation for good music.

I am so much more impressed with the fact that someone has put in the time to study an instrument than the scientifics of EQing and mic placement.

Hope i didn't offend any of you songwriters or production guys. peace

23 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/13 18:44:04 (permalink)
    you're assumption is not entirely correct ... i play at HOME and I frequently sit session so .. i have to practice .. a lot. i kind of know what you're saying .. but if you think someone's playing isn't up to snuff ... let them know that. that's a valuable thing to know.

jeff
    Rasmuth
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/13 18:47:54 (permalink)
    I'll speak for myself, some of us just aren't as talented musically as others, though we still take pride in what we do.

That being said, musicianship is important...and some people here are simply spectacular...

In my opinion, all that is important here is to have fun. You may have secondary goals to improve this or improve that...and thats great...but if you're not having fun...what's the use.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=250426

Everyone has a song inside, some of us choose to let it out.
    sammyp
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 752
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/13 22:41:17 (permalink)
    Music just has to move you - period! It's tricky. It's subjective! for me, when i was much younger, i used to love listening to "Shredder" guitar music. This stuff demands a high degree of instrumental, technical prowess, however, now my ears/soul tell me that much of it is very boring, though technically proficient, and very poor in sound quality. It doesn't move me in any way! On the other hand, Charlie Parker recordings are brutal by today's standards, yet listening to him sax out a blues never ceases to amaze me. Sound quality alone won't bring me back for a 2nd listen but neither will strict instrumental ability.

jamester
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/13 23:29:04 (permalink)
    Don't you think Good musicianship outweighs a less than perfect recording every time? Should'nt good musicians be the foundation for good music.

Yes, but a good, creative, original song idea beats both musicianship and production quality. If I don't like it artistically, I could give a crap about the technicalities behind it.

Purrrfect Audio DAW built by Jim Roseberry
    Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
    Reaper, Live, Sound Forge, Pyro
    chaz
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2775
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/13 23:47:57 (permalink)
    I listen to alot of the songs posted here out of curiosity. Kinda gives me a peek at what others are doing in their HOME studios. And i stress HOME cause I assume everyone producing music on this forum is .... well .... home and not in a professional enviroment.

I personally feel that you are equating a professional studio with a commercial one. This is a very wrong assumption to make, as many people have built a professional studio at their place of residence. I am one of them.

Anyway.... I just had to make a comment FTR.
    < Message edited by chaz -- 1/14/2005 12:45:33 AM >
    jamester
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 00:31:58 (permalink)
    I think the bigger point is: Your hearing is a part of your musicianship. It is all one and the same, we just dedicate our lives to developing some aspects more than others.

A master musician learns the theory behind the craft, builds up the technique required, all the while maturing and growing as an artist and human being. Whether this results in knob-twiddling or piano-key twiddling is irrelevent. They are hardly exclusive.

chaz
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 00:37:59 (permalink)
    Jamester....

I edited out my musicianship comments because it did not come out the way that I had intended it to.
    jamester
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 00:47:41 (permalink)
    Chaz, I wasn't disagreeing with you! I hope you didn't take it like that, in fact I wasn't really responding directly to you, I just hit "Fast Reply."

But I guess what I was trying to get across is that what you do in your studio is just as much "musicianship" as any skilled instrumentalist. (Wow, that was surprisingly succinct!)

chaz
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 02:51:21 (permalink)
    Sorry..... I thought you were responding to my post and thought, "Uh oh, maybe I did not write that out too well." So, I just deleted the comment altogether.

I do agree with you though, that what a mixer does is just as much musicianship as well as one who plays their instrument.

If it helps..... I started out as a musician. MIxing did not come until later on.
    Sonic
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1517
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 03:49:20 (permalink)
    I think that whether you play sax, guitar, turntables, piano, the knobs on your synths, drums,the radio, the faders on your mixer/DAW....whatever...yes, good musicianship counts.
    It all adds up.

The best is always yet to come. Now...shut up and make some noise!
    A small sample of my music... http://www.soundclick.com/bands/8/turtlebend2.htm
    hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 03:58:20 (permalink)
    Don't you think Good musicianship outweighs a less than perfect recording every time?

Well, I'd rather hear good musicians playing good music with less than stellar audio quality - more so than mediocre musicians playing mediocre music with excellent audio quality. And, I think a lot of what people think are "audio" problems are really musical problems - writing, arranging, and performance. So, I agree with you somewhat when it comes to the final product.

On the other hand, there are fine songwriters who can't really perform their own material very well. And there are good engineers who have great ears, know how it's supposed to sound, but realize they aren't going to "cut it" as session players. I guess it really depends on what you consider to be your "craft." And, personally, I consider writers, arrangers, conductors, and engineers to be musicians.

So, any players on my tracks I should fire? Well, ok, the sax player should be on probation, but the rest of the guys do pretty good! [sm=lol.gif]

chaz
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 04:32:26 (permalink)
    Well, ok, the sax player should be on probation, but the rest of the guys do pretty good!

gugliel
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 11:17:22 (permalink)
    The other thing is, some of us are COMPOSERS, not performers -- when I create a demo recording there is not a note of it that I play -- it is all typed in, one way or another. My practicing days were long ago, in music school, so I never (almost never anyway) practice at all -- but I'm still tuning my musicianship -- which is some combination of rhythm, taste, sense of drama, brains, invention, idea-generation-by-method, inspiration, melody, habit, harmony, etc, etc, but fingers on an instrument never comes into it.

www.soundclick.com/guglielmo
    mr. moon
    Max Output Level: -60 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1515
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 12:28:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nyhatco

Yes, for one cannot polish a turd, and sh1t in = sh1t out, young grasshopper.

A crappy recording of a brilliant musician is much better to me than a perfect recording of Ashlee Simpson ...er, I mean "a crappy artist" ...Actually, I take back my correction, as they're both synonymous!!

-mr moon

Intel Core 2 QUAD Q6600
    4 GB 800MHz DDR2
    RME FireFace 800
    Windows 64 Pro

"...Think outside the box as you mix within!" -mrmoon

stratton
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1446
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 13:05:23 (permalink)
    We've gotten film placement and a publshing deal based on what we do at home in our studio. That makes it a professional studio, doesn't it? In the same sense that Chaz mentioned, it's not a commercial studio, though.

My take on musicianship, in the context of this forum, is that musicianship must serve the song. That is to say that if a particuar song is well-served by a single acoustic guitar strumming three 1st position chords, so be it. The musicianship is sufficient for the song.

This isn't the Phat Lix Forum or the Shredderz Hangout forum. Other forums seem to be more about one's ability to play an intrument than the composition and recording of songs. What I like about this forum is that it is more song oriented than a lot of others, and the songwriters are using equipment and software that I use, too, so we can exchange notes (pun?) on how we achieved the recordings of the songs we post.

Ken
    nyhatco
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 14:42:55 (permalink)
    First, I probably should have clarified what I meant about a HOME studio.

Of course there are many professional studios inside one's home, as i have recorded in many a basement studio that seemed more professional than some of the studio "lofts" i've recorded in. I know they exist.

But using cakewalks Home Studio XL in my Home is not a professional enviroment. it seemed to me that many of the songs being posted might not exist if it wasn't so easy to record at home. There are so many people out of tune, off time and out of key all at the same time. Would those same people pay for studio time if PC recording at home was unaffordable.

That's where i think the musicianship helps. If people took the time to learn their instruments, knew when they were out of tune or out of key their projects would and should sound better. I know you can get good results with cakewalk products as many of you prove day after day. but if you don't have good chops, a great recording is only going to expose that you can't play.

as far as an acoustic guitar strumming three first position chords, if that's all the song needs fine. As long as you're in tune and you can make the chord changes on time i will listen every time. it's ok to keep it simple, just make sure it's musical.
    hornplayer
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1024
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 15:43:37 (permalink)
    If people took the time to learn their instruments, knew when they were out of tune or out of key their projects would and should sound better. I know you can get good results with cakewalk products as many of you prove day after day. but if you don't have good chops, a great recording is only going to expose that you can't play.

No arguments here. Actually, I find recording myself a great diagnostic tool for my practicing. I catch myself doing things on "tape" that I'm not otherwise conscious of doing.

So, to put a positive spin on this: not only do you get great production tools in Cakewalk products, but you get a fantastic practice aid. So, all you performing musicians out there (myself included) - get in that woodshed!

gugliel, this is optional for you and the other musicians who are composers only.

nyhatco
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 16:14:23 (permalink)
    Right on Horn Man-

I started multi-tracking in the early 80's when teac introduced the first affordable 4 track machine. I got tired of waiting for my band to show up so i started jammin' along to my own rhythms. 25 years later and Home Studio is just one big Jam Buddy. Song creation for me is just a byproduct of practicing and looping music to play along with. The songs evolve after i go into my edit mode. I never sit down with an idea to record. I prefer the "capture" method.
    Adam
    chaz
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/14 22:15:54 (permalink)
    Actually, I find recording myself a great diagnostic tool for my practicing. I catch myself doing things on "tape" that I'm not otherwise conscious of doing.

That is what helped me to "hone" my guitar chops. When you hear yourself live it is one thing, but when you track a performance and play it back, you get to hear the actual reality of it.

So, in that regard, recording and hearing the playback has helped me become a much better musician. It has taught me to be more aware of what I am playing and how to listen to what I am playing at the same time.

(Edit: Typos)
    < Message edited by chaz -- 1/15/2005 5:32:39 AM >
    esummers@juno.com
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/15 04:02:21 (permalink)
    Of course it is important to know your stuff. But here is something to think about. If you have a great song, you can get the greatest musicians to play it for you under ideal conditions. Many hits have been written on old detuned pianos by writers with very little skills on a piano. Give it to the producer and the arranger and voila!

I work from a professional enviroment, but my efforts are no greater than the guy who strums a Martin knock-off in front of a Kenners tape recorder. Believe me, the blood, sweat and tears are all equal.

That is the nature of creativity.

-Ed Summers
    BoomTown
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/15 15:49:12 (permalink)
    Ideally. Yes, ideally. It really comes down to what you're looking for. I mean, Hillary Duff's record SOUNDS great. I'm sure they used excellent studio musicians, top notch gear, and very savvy engineers and producers. There's lots of musicianship and lots of production prowess. The playing and the production are excellent. Its very easy to listen to if you take for granted the ZERO content factor.

I think content may actually be what you're getting at? I mean, every lousy record put out by EMI for mass market appeal SOUNDS good. Its designed to be sonically pleasing, and they've hired both good performers and good producers to make it that way. When you start going back and listening to old crackly Robert Johnson recordings, or early Bob Dylan, you get the other end of the spectrum. It doesn't SOUND terribly good, but damn, the CONTENT is huge. The playing is good, the performances in general are excellent, but they sound terrible. Even on "John Wesley Harding," my favorite Dylan album, its obvious that the harmonica was recorded at the same time as the lead vocal, through the same mic at the same volume. And its bloody ear shattering. But I could listen to those tunes forever.

Musicianship of course counts. In theory, you're correct, the best way to get a great sounding track is to have a great performance. And a great performance I think will always outweigh a great SOUND in the long run, but when you start combining them and introducing amazing content, that's where the classic songs and albums come from, in my opinion.

The zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "A flute with no holes is not a flute, but a doughnut with no hole, is a danish."
    DougAllan
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/15 20:32:45 (permalink)
    I think that depends on what you want out of the process in the end. I really enjoy making good recordings and to me that means trying to put together a finished product worthy of mass production. Musicianship is very important. Normally, I go to a "pro" studio and also hire session players for whatever parts need more talent than I can provide. I use Cakewalk more for fun and inspiration; then bring out the big guns for the final product.

That being said, the people that turned me on to the product are not "pros". Not even really good musicians, but they really enjoy making and recording their music. Cakewalk has given them the ability to do things they couldn't or wouldn't do in the "pro recording" world. I have a feeling that that's the case for many people out there. They are really having a great time doing what they -can do. So in their case, I guess musicianship is not a big deal.

-Doug
    JCinNJ
    Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: DOES MUSICIANSHIP COUNT? 2005/01/15 20:39:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: nyhatco

Unless, I am seeing a band play live, I could care less how good their musicianship is. If they make a great recording, I am not thinking "I wonder how many takes it took them to get it right". I don't care if they are playing a toaster and a blender, if I like the song and the recording, that's all I care about.

my 2 cents

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1