DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples?

Author
JohnrC
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 393
2006/03/17 05:35:27 (permalink)

DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples?

The main Program Browser in Dimension Pro is great. But has anyone found a nice way of previewing/auditioning samples to load into the individual elements?

IOW, I load the first program: Adulteration Bass. Now I'd like to load a multisample into Element 2. I click E2 and just below I click on the field. That opens up... directories. All I can really do is navigate through them, right click on some fairly cryptic filenames and select Play, hoping that all works well with the Windows default media player.

Any other ways I might be overlooking?

18 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/17 07:59:14 (permalink)
    anyone found a nice way of previewing/auditioning samples to load into the individual elements?
    If you have Project5, a parallel instance of the Velocity sampler (pointed at the Multisamples directory) will auto-preview the samples. Sound Forge will, too. I'm glad that I re-read your post, because I almost gave you my Element previewing scheme instead.
    HTH
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/17 10:54:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for your time, b rock.

I started writing how I didn't have P5 when it occurred to me that you're likely suggesting use of a second app and it's internal audition function. I'll try, but if you've moved around and drilled down levels of directories, would you not have to go back to DP and re-do all the navigating and drilling to get to the same patch?

BTW, there's no preview ribbon in DP as per my z3ta+ is there?

I've got my eye on Rapture. Any idea if it's built the same in these regards?

Cheers.
    b rock
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/17 11:15:54 (permalink)
    Any idea if it's built the same in these regards?
    Yeah, John, it's a bit of a PITA that way. If I really need it, I take the same route as you have: right-click & Play. But if I'm in *programming* mode, it really doesn't matter if I have multiple apps up, becuse I'm multi-tasking anyway. Wish I had a better one for you.

Here's what I do with Element preview & quickie patch construction. Maybe that will trigger another idea for you:
    Open up two instances of Dimension Pro. The first one becomes your Program Browser device; the second is your Element preview. Browse through with DP#1 until you find a combination that you like, the right-click on one of the buttons [E1-E4], and Copy the Element. In the second instance, pick any Element, and Paste over one of the same buttons (same procedure). It's a great way to quickly preview and construct your own Programs containing Elements from the existing presets.

Use a related process in a single Program: (in your example) click on the first of four icons in a row (the file handling one), and Load Element.
    You may know all of this already, but the process is worth repeating.

Any idea if it's built the same in these regards?
    Probably. I'll let you know for sure soon enough. I just got it in my grubby lil' hands minutes ago.
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/17 12:16:39 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: b rock

Here's what I do with Element preview & quickie patch construction. Maybe that will trigger another idea for you: Open up two instances of Dimension Pro. The first one becomes your Program Browser device; the second is your Element preview. Browse through with DP#1 until you find a combination that you like, the right-click on one of the buttons [E1-E4], and Copy the Element. In the second instance, pick any Element, and Paste over one of the same buttons (same procedure). It's a great way to quickly preview and construct your own Programs containing Elements from the existing presets.

Use a related process in a single Program: (in your example) click on the first of four icons in a row (the file handling one), and Load Element.

That's downright brilliant. Thanks!

I'll go request a feature, but this is a great workaround.
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/17 21:39:21 (permalink)
    I'm probably way beyond my comprehension level here, but it seems like these products should have this feature - audition raw element candidates while browsing files - before loading into the synths. Maybe in a future update.
    Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/18 23:48:07 (permalink)
    you're right rick, it absolutely should have a preview feature ...
    jeff
    René
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/19 06:35:14 (permalink)
    I'm probably way beyond my comprehension level here, but it seems like these products should have this feature - audition raw element candidates while browsing files - before loading into the synths. Maybe in a future update.

Well, it's obviously impossible to preview a program before loading, as in 'playing' it.

A few synths have a pre-recorded audio clip, which play when you highlight the sound. As you can't play it, it's not one of those features I'm in love with, kinda cheesio in my view. But if you do, please feel free to FR it.

-René
    Rick McNab
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1047
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/19 08:44:43 (permalink)
    Yes, I see what you're saying. It's the synth that makes the sound. The waveform is just raw material. Wouldn't do too much good to hear it before it's a part of the element.
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/19 09:22:48 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: René
    Well, it's obviously impossible to preview a program before loading, as in 'playing' it.

A few synths have a pre-recorded audio clip, which play when you highlight the sound. As you can't play it, it's not one of those features I'm in love with, kinda cheesio in my view. But if you do, please feel free to FR it.

Already have the next best thing: I'm more than pleased with the way DimPro lets you hear different programs in the context of your song. I solo the DP track (or not); set the song to loop; go into DP's browser and start double-clicking on all of the programs. Instant in-context audition and lots better than what I agree to be the cheesio way.

I just wish I could do something similar when working with individual elements. I now have got b rock's useful workaround above, but hope this is more directly addressed soon.

EDIT: Oops. I was using "program" as per DP's definition of the word. Looks like you and Rick are referring to the "raw element" that comprises the program. In any event, I still like the aforementioned method of auditioning, glad it's there, and hope it can be applied to Elements (as per the DP definition of word).
    post edited by JohnrC - 2006/03/19 09:37:29
    René
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/19 10:38:29 (permalink)
    I see, thanks. The upcoming DP 1.2 update will allow you to use the main browser to browse elements, identically as you do with programs now.

-René
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/03/21 03:47:34 (permalink)
    That's great news. Thanks!
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 10:30:25 (permalink)

I see, thanks. The upcoming DP 1.2 update will allow you to use the main browser to browse elements, identically as you do with programs now.
    -René

Hello, did this not make it in or is it hidden somehow?
    b rock
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 11:08:27 (permalink)
    John, the first time that you have the Program Browser up (it has the "focus"), hit F5 to refresh it. You only have to do this once.
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 11:32:14 (permalink)
    Thank you, b rock, but I was referring to ability to browse when loading into the Load Multisamples field below the individual element buttons. You gave us the nice workaround earlier in the thread, but I understood that the browser window would be extended to pop up when clicking on the Load Multisamples field.
    b rock
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 11:51:00 (permalink)
    I understood that the browser window would be extended to pop up when clicking on the Load Multisamples field.
    I can see where you're going with that, John. Sorry: I misunderstood the question. You want to go "up" in the hierarchy; not "down".
    I haven't got a workaround for that.
    René
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 13:26:04 (permalink)

quote:

-René

This did make it. You can now browse elements just like previously with programs, using the browser.

-René
    JohnrC
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 16:11:39 (permalink)

This did make it. You can now browse elements just like previously with programs, using the browser.

-René

I've confused myself... I'm probably using wrong terminology: samples, elements, programs. So, stoopid guy alert:

I see "Elements" at the bottom of the Program Browser window. There are 26 programs here. I don't know where they're from since they don't seem to correlate to the Programs (and there are obviously fewer of them).

I was likely not clear in my first post, but what I was hoping to do was browse samples when deciding what to load into empty elements. For example:

If I click on the field above the four element buttons (balloon help says "Program Browser") up pops the beautiful blue browser window. I can then browse, audition and load a Program.

Now that I've loaded a Program, I see E2 is empty... and I'd like to load a sample into E2. So I click on the E2 button and it lights up. I move my mouse *down* a bit and click on the field that says "Empty". What pops up now is not a beautiful blue browser, but rather a standard Windows directory window for navigating through folders. I cannot audition/preview/hear the sample in this window. Or am I missing something?

Thank you for your patience.
    René
    RE: DP: How Do You Audition *Element* Samples? 2006/04/08 21:02:57 (permalink)
    Ok, here's the basic Dimension Pro and Rapture jargon:

A "Program" (file with .prog extension) is composed of all settings in the four Elements, plus the masger/global settings. Basically, a "total recall" function.

An "Element" (file with .elem extension) stores the settings on -one- Element. This includes the multisample/sample/wavetable/waveguide reference, all the dsp (decim, bitred, filter or filters, eq), all the modulations (all EGs, LFOs and StepGens) and the Insert Fx settings.

The browser allows to load Program files, therefore reloading all elements. Regardless on what element is selected, if you click or hit enter on a program in the browser, all elements will be reloaded.

Starting with 1.2, the browser allows you to also load Element files. There are quite a few element files as examples in the factory set, but you can save any element of any factory program using the Element menu (right-click on the element button).

To load an Element using the browser, you just select the desired element and then hit the element file using the browser.

For instance, if you load E1 with a piano, then select E2 and you can browse thru several elements to test in combination with the layer.

It is not obviously not possible to audition a sample, program or element without loading it. The load operation "composes" the sound, so it is available to play.

-René
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1