DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!)

Author
dysamoria
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 62
2010/09/09 17:16:20 (permalink)

DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!)

hey, i know most of you aren't using DS864 any more (or never did) but as i'm trying to sort through the sample set that came with it, in order to maybe migrate what i like to another format...

i'm finding that if i make changes to a bank and save the bank... re-loading that bank later shows NO changes were saved. Not one knob or button setting was saved. Worse, if i make changes and load another bank, the changes i made to the previous sound STICKS on the NEW one! (also, the Save icon's click area is not aligned with the little disk icon... until just this moment, i thought it didn't work at all...)
So... anyone know why i can't save and load patches correctly? Am i the only schmuck with these problems??

4 Replies Related Threads

techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!) 2010/09/09 18:18:38 (permalink)
    Are you having problems saving .ds8 bank files or .dp8 patch files?  These are different beasts.  I have some old and limited information available if you need it at http://www.technetos.com/technetos/project5/DS864/ .  I don't know if any of those old ramblings would be have help to you or not.  I'm going to be taking that site down and replacing it sometime so if it is of help you might want to print it out or save it somehow.
    dysamoria
    Re:DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!) 2010/09/09 21:09:55 (permalink)
    hello and THANK YOU :-) i had seen this website of yours in passing a short while ago but didn't think to dive into it. just now i saved a webarchive of the page and i looked at the images ... the three charts look to be useful but i cannot read the text in them. do you have larger versions or are the source documents available?

what i'm starting to see is this: a DS864 BANK binds a bunch of PATCHES together, but THAT'S ALL. a DS864 PATCH actually retains/saves all the settings of the sound. So this goes a way toward explaining my confusion. i have the Simon Cann book about Cakewalk synthesizers, but it's at another location... i was just there days ago and neglected to bring it with me... sigh... 

so why would the following happen:

1. open a bank.
    2. tweak settings (say i add a pitch LFO to give it some vibrato or crazy warble...)
    3. open a new bank and...
    4. the same warble is present!

i don't understand why this would happen, even with starting to understand the structure. i'm finding that there's not much reason to use banks except for wanting velocity splits (and only about four of the DS864 supplied banks even do that). it seems like a foolish design to not include the velocity splits in the patch itself.

thanks for your response!
    techead
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4353
    Re:DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!) 2010/09/10 08:02:44 (permalink)
    Banks are collections of patch layers (.dp8 files).   

The velocity layers and keyboard splitting can be done within a single patch when loading individual samples (.wav) into the editor. 

Up to 8 layers of patches (.dp8) can be loaded into a bank (a bank is a .ds8 file that contains 8 layer slots with each slot capable of holding a multisample patch (.dp8)  with its velocity layers, keysplits, etc).

You might be tweaking global settings rather than per-patch settings.  So every time a patch (.dp8) is loaded it is being affected by the global settings.  I don't recall whether the global settings are truely "global" or if they are saved with the bank in the .ds8 file.

I'll see if I can find the original files used to make the graphics.  In the mean time try scaling the image up in an image previewer to see if that makes the text readable. 
    post edited by techead - 2010/09/10 08:05:37
    dysamoria
    Re:DS864 Not Saving Settings with Banks or Patches(??!!) 2010/09/11 20:16:06 (permalink)
    thanks (again) for giving me an overview of the structure. it's a bit confusing how it's set up. no wonder the instrument was dropped. i like a few included sounds, tho!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1