Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice!

Author
Flagrant Regard
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2018/07/26 23:56:10 (permalink)

Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice!

The year was 1986. An off-beat band called 'Daniel Amos' had some notoriety in the Christian 'New Wave/Alt Rock' genre/community. They definitely didn't 'play by the rules' (putting the name of Jesus in every song, making sure the Southern Baptist pastors like them, etc.). But then Terry Taylor - lead singer of the band and studio guy behind a lot of 80's Christian rock classics (like Randy Stonehill's 'Equator') shoots for this Phil Spector (God HELP his soul...) inspired/type sound and knocks it out of the park. Don't know if it became the hit it should have.
The song?

SOON. Here's our version: https://app.box.com/s/kk1ojtxvl44udha85xpj261k3fw02wdb

Anything anyone here think might be lacking? We'd love to hear. In mono, the vocals stick out nice and clear while in stereo, they do get absorbed somewhat. I don't mind in this instance. Thoughts? 

You can hear the original on the web here: https://youtu.be/QKDNCTdbk-k

Been a while, folks! Hope y'all are surviving the big nuttiness that is our world these days. 

Our love and our best to all,
Martin & Nancy

We Are FLAGRANT REGARD
OS: Windows 10, DAWsoft: Sonar Plat, Soundcard: AP2496, Equipment: Tak/Tay/Yam/Fen/Kor/, Speakers: Equators D-5s, PolkAudio Home, Paradigm Subwoof, Plugs: many, too blinkin' many to know what to do with them. Must cull!!

4 Replies Related Threads

Wayfarer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 831
    Re: Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice! 2018/08/03 16:04:08 (permalink)
    An accurate cover to be sure. Personally, I like giving old songs new arrangements. For me, that's most of the fun. But I have met guys who really get a charge out seeing if they can make something just like the album it came from, so to each his own.

I was never a DA fan, but I really liked The Swirling Eddies.

Bill
    SupaReels Music
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re: Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice! 2018/08/03 17:51:44 (permalink)
    Nicely done, but a bit Spector'ish ... But really, I don't think it's my ' I'm a fan ' sort of stuff ... but as Bill, said accurate, thankyou for the post
    Steve

Home-built 64 bit pc running Win7 Pro, 2nd system Laptop running Win10

DAW' s :-  Sonar Platinum , Cubase Pro 10. , CyberLink Audio Director 7, Power Director 15
    Other Stuff :- Impulse61, VX7, DX7, Behringer X-Touch , Tascam MidiStudio688,Orbit v2, Roland U220, SPL Vitalizer, TC Helicon, Alesis M1s, Rode NT1 & NT2, Shure SM58, Red5 RV6 Mics, Various Guitars Ibanez S770, revamped Les Paul Copy, Yamaha Pacifica 112, SGR C-1, Yamaha Acoustic 12 string, Gibson 6 String Acoustic, Fender Squire Bass, Yamaha 800 Active Fretless  
    bjornpdx
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 759
    Re: Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice! 2018/08/04 22:46:32 (permalink)
    I like your version of Soon because I could hear the lyrics pretty well. Not so with the original.
    Maybe a bit Spector-ish but that works for you since that wall of sound tends to boost the emotions.

The songs in this genre seem to be very melodic and well produced but I never could get into them.
    Too wholesome or something.

Bjorn
    soundcloud.com/orygun
    www.bjornfredrickson.com
    https://store.cdbaby.com/Artist/BjornFredrickson

Purrfect Audio Pro Studio, RME UCX
    Cakewalk by Bandlab,  Studio One,  Reaper
    Flagrant Regard
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 107
    Re: Daniel Amos - Soon ... A powerful song/Hope we've done it justice! 2018/08/24 20:10:26 (permalink)
    Hey all. Thanks for the time y'all took to comment! Love the feedback. Was definitely going for the 'close to original' cut sound, so thanks for compliments in that regard. I'm gathering no issues re the balances of tone (kick/bass mids etc.) so great. Sorry it took a while to thank you for responding - was AFK (away from the keyboard/PC) for a holiday ... need that once in a while, don't we, huh?

God bless,
    M&N

We Are FLAGRANT REGARD
    OS: Windows 10, DAWsoft: Sonar Plat, Soundcard: AP2496, Equipment: Tak/Tay/Yam/Fen/Kor/, Speakers: Equators D-5s, PolkAudio Home, Paradigm Subwoof, Plugs: many, too blinkin' many to know what to do with them. Must cull!!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1