Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399!

Author
cryophonik
Max Output Level: -28 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4724
2008/09/30 12:25:48 (permalink)

Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399!

Have you synth-heads seen this yet? It's basically a stripped down monophonic version of the Prophet '08. Comes with a software editor, which I assume is similar to the excellent SoundTower P08 and Evolver editors. Looks/sounds like a fantastic piece of kit with a street price of $399!

http://www.davesmithinstruments.com/products/mopho/mopho_specs.php

post edited by cryophonik - 2008/09/30 12:28:30

cryophonik   |   soundcloud  |   Facebook

Q6600 | GA-EP45-UD3P | Windows 7 64 | 8GB
Access Virus Keyboard TI2 | Kurzweil PC3X | NI Maschine

8 Replies Related Threads

DerGeist
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 329
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/09/30 12:31:14 (permalink)
    Neat. I really want to push the "push it" button.

I have the mono evolver keyboard so this one is probably a little too similar to get a buy from me.

DSI rocks for anyone who hasn't tried them.
    cryophonik
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/09/30 14:27:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DerGeist

I have the mono evolver keyboard so this one is probably a little too similar to get a buy from me.

I don't know - I've got the MEK and a Prophet '08. The two synths are pretty different sounding, yet complement each other pretty well. Aside from being monophonic, the Mopho seems to be closer in sound and architecture (all-analog) to the P08 than the MEK (analog/digital hybrid). Although, I doubt you'd want two mono synths.

But, yeah, I agree - Dave Smith synths are excellent!

DerGeist
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/09/30 14:46:41 (permalink)
    Stop tempting me.

The DSI website says you can control it using the prophet controls which is pretty neat but a little redudnant if you already own a prophet.

If only the MEK transmitted midi and could do the same this one would be a lot more tempting.
    cryophonik
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/09/30 15:12:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: DerGeist

The DSI website says you can control it using the prophet controls which is pretty neat but a little redudnant if you already own a prophet.

Ooh...I didn't notice that. But, the Mopho has a 'Push It' button, which my P08 doesn't have. Hmmmm....maybe I do need one of these... (if not for the fact that my wife would shoot me).

badbib
    Max Output Level: -56 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1921
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/10/01 13:53:23 (permalink)
    yeah, I saw that mopho, it sounded nice. (What will HiThere say of that name? j/k)

but as I was looking at the Mopho's specs, I got interested in the evolver, who appears to be a really nice tool for knob twiddlers.

that mopho looks like a toy doesn't it? I bet it's definetely not, but that push it button looks a lot like a toy feature.

agincourtdb
    Max Output Level: -27.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4753
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/10/01 15:16:40 (permalink)
    For that much I could get two or three full-featured polyphonic virtual instruments. So, I guess, what I'm saying is, thank you, but no.

DerGeist
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/10/01 16:23:48 (permalink)
    Well, its all a matter of what you need. Some times its nice (necessary) to travel without a computer and this looks like a pretty cheap and portable way to get computerless analog lead sounds (as long as you have a midi keyboard). I have the evolver keyboard but I also have the small evolver unit (similar to the morpho) that I used to use as a backup. It was smaller than the firewire soundcard I had at the time and if I lost my computer on stage I have a quick small awesome sounding backup.

Someone said (picasso?) that the most beatiful part of a pictutre is the frame because it sets limits. I kind of look at mono synths the same way. There is something about a monosynth that makes me feel I have to ern my keep and keep my chops up - . I will take a Korg CX3 and DSI Evolver over all of the plugins in the world. If I'm playing with a full band I proabably don't even need the CX3 and could play the monosynth all night without ever feeling limited.

This is all coming from a live performance standtpoint so it would be different for someone with a more studio focus.

Plus DSI synths tend to have some really clever tricks up their sleeves so I bet this thing sounds monsterous blasting through a PA. To me the true test of the greatness of a synth is how wussy it makes your guitar player feel :)

Not trying to convice, just leaping to the defence of the noble mono synth.
    fac
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2427
    RE: Dave Smith Mopho - New Analog Mono Synth - $399! 2008/10/02 00:30:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: agincourtdb

For that much I could get two or three full-featured polyphonic virtual instruments. So, I guess, what I'm saying is, thank you, but no.

Sure. You could also buy a lot of shovels for the price of a bulldozer, but that's not the point. Even though a shovel and a bulldozer both perform a similar task, there are times when one may be better than the other one. Same thing with synths. An analog monosynth might be of little use to some (depending on what kind of music you make) and that's perfectly fine, but to others, it may be their go-to tool.

Me, I just love all kinds of synths: mono, poly, soft, hard, analog, digital, VA, FM, sampler, rompler, schompler. I could be equally excited with a mopho or a copy of VAZ Modular.

http://facproductions.net

Lots of gear. Not enough time.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1