David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2013/01/05 14:05:19 (permalink)

David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry

I always thought Bryan Ferry was David Bowie on opium. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjhTHQhJLxs

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!

27 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 14:17:40 (permalink)
    I always loved the sound textures Bryan gets.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 14:33:15 (permalink)
    How's this for a tough gig?  This is a Bryan Ferry quote:

"I have terrible memories of it all going wrong. I'd put together an all-star band and the set was fraught with problems. We had David Gilmour on guitar and, poor David, his guitar wasn't working for the first couple of songs. With his first hit, the drummer put his stick through the drum skin. And then my microphone wasn't working, which for a singer is a bit of a handicap. A roadie ran on with another mic so then I was holding two mics taped together and I wasn't really sure which one to sing into. It was a great day though." (On playing Live Aid (1985) (TV))

yorolpal
    • Total Posts : 13829
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 14:36:20 (permalink)
    That's sort of an apples to flaming-pianos-on-the-planet-dipton comparison.

Bowie is the eternal enigma.

But I shorely did luv me them ol albums of "chestnut covers" that Bryan put out.  Warble on, ol pal...warble on.

https://soundcloud.com/doghouse-riley/tracks 
    https://doghouseriley1.bandcamp.com 
    Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 14:42:32 (permalink)
    One more "Wow!"  Here's some info about the album this song is on.  Check out the musicians he had!

Gilmour AND Knopfler?  Plus my favorite (non-Coffee House) bass player, Tony Levin?  And the others are pretty up there too...

HERE'S THE LINK

craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 14:43:38 (permalink)
    yorolpal

That's sort of an apples to flaming-pianos-on-the-planet-dipton comparison.

Bowie is the eternal enigma.

But I shorely did luv me them ol albums of "chestnut covers" that Bryan put out.  Warble on, ol pal...warble on.

You do know that Bowie considers Bryan his favorite song writer though, ya?

yorolpal
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/05 21:42:03 (permalink)
    I'm sure Da Vinci considered some lesser (read...less famous) person(s) as his better in many ways.  But he's the superstar.  Them's just the breaks.  Like I said, I love ol Brian...and will do so always.

Where you come from is gone...where you thought you were goin to weren't never there...and where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it.

SPLAT 64 bit running on a Studio Cat Pro System Win 10 64bit 2.8ghz Core i7 with 24 gigs ram. MOTU Audio Express.
    jbow
    Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7601
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/06 10:36:45 (permalink)
    David Bowie is no Bryan Ferry... maybe he is a Brian Ferry wanna be. I never understood what made Bowie so famous. There was that one song about Major Tom but that, IMO, got old quickly. Besides that he was really strange and in a bad sort of way. Frank Zappa was strange in a funny/good sort of was. Bowie was always disturbing to me... still is I guess.

Besides, how can you go wrong with dancing girls?

J

Sonar Platinum
    Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
    HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
    Octa-Capture
    KRK Rokit-8s
    MIDI keyboards...
    Control Pad
    mics. 
    I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
    Moshkiae
    Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6111
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/06 13:23:50 (permalink)
    Hi,

Both are good in their own right.

David, should have become an actor a long time ago. Some of his work in film is excellent and deserves some credit. Of special attention is "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and then "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence", and even "The Hunger".

Bryan did not want to do any acting, and he has always stuck to his own lounge singer thing ... and he is very clean and very good at it, and he always manages to put together some incredible musicians. But his work, is, hardly, new or experimental, or different ... it's just really well done and special work all around.

David's career in music is not something that we should ignore and not say a good thing about. Over the years, he has either gotten bored with his work, or he simply wanted to do more ... than just the same thing. And his creative stuff has always been interesting.

It will make a lot more sense to check David out, if you can find the VH-1 Behind the Music on David Bowie ... it helps clear up a lot of his work ... he is well read, studied and not your average rock'n'roller that will only do one thing, and not learn anything else! As such, David is a very good artist.

I enjoy both of them ... though "Country Life" burns up my CD or turntable a bit more than any David Bowie album! ... or playing "Amazona" out loud!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/06 14:01:58 (permalink)
    I like them both, but David Bowies span of expression is about 100 times wider than that of Bryan Ferry. Both his compositions and performances are hard to beat if you think about how many styles of pop and rock he masters / has mastered during the years.

Not only is Bowie a phenomenal live performer, but he has been copied so much right from the beginning of his fame: style of singing, habitus, record sounds etc. I don't know any single artist that has been a trend setter for so long. 

Bryan Ferry has a great, recognizable sound and style, but IMO he really is a one trick pony, whereas  Bowie is a pony, horse, tractor, acrobat and aeroplane.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    yorolpal
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/06 14:29:51 (permalink)
    xactly.

craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/06 14:48:54 (permalink)
    This thread had me listening to Boys and Girls yesterday.  In many ways I've been pretty naive about the personnel behind the music (heck, I rarely even pay attention to the lyrics - I just love the music).  I like threads like this because it got me to research Bowie and Ferry which provided several "Really?" moments.  I never realized how much Eno was involved.  I know Brian was big, mostly behind the scenes, in helping the band migrations of Bauhaus, Love & Rockets, Tones On Tail and Peter Murphy, but didn't know about all the other places he's been.  Let alone his own ambient work (of which I have a lot).  Cool!

Moshkiae
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/07 12:48:09 (permalink)
    Hi,

I was gonna say that Bryan does better versions of Bob Dylan and Neil Young and John Lennon than David Bowie every will!

But David can do Kurt Weill and Bryan can't!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

daryl1968
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/07 12:56:33 (permalink)
    The early Roxy Music stuff with Brian Eno is the shizzle.....then when you thought it was all over, they came back with THE BEST shagging album ever, 'Avalon'
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/07 13:06:22 (permalink)
    Moshkiae

David, should have become an actor a long time ago. Some of his work in film is excellent and deserves some credit. Of special attention is "The Man Who Fell to Earth" and then "Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence", and even "The Hunger". 

I have to take issue with that Pedro..Bowie is at best, a mediocre actor, with less than two facial expressions. He's marginally better than Sting, but that ain't saying much.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 03:48:36 (permalink)
    jamesg1213

Moshkiae

I have to take issue with that Pedro..Bowie is at best, a mediocre actor, with less than two facial expressions. He's marginally better than Sting, but that ain't saying much.

I'm with Moshkiae . David is quite a good actor IMO, and I really don't think he's stiff-faced. And his verbal expression is good. Anyways, it's the weaker actors who have to make faces.

Al Pacino has one face (the paralyzed from forehead down, two versions: eyebrows up/down), Robert De Niro has two (the grin and the non-grin), Marlon Brando used mostly two faces (the cool stoneface and the desperate/hysterical), Dustin Hoffman has two (the serious and the comical) and those are all really good actors IMO. Jack Nicholson is a rubber face to the extent of being gimmicky, but he's good, too. It's often the special kind of presence that makes some more impressive than others.

Here's a quote from the Variety-magazines review of Bowies performance on Broadway as the Elephant Man in 1980:

"Playing a man too ugly to draw a freak audience, and too human to survive within a distorted body, Bowie shows a mastery of movement and of vocal projection. Bowie takes the stage with authority to create a stirring performance. Vocally, he is both quick and sensitive. In scene after scene he builds poignantly, crying for the chance to become civilised, though he knows he will always be a freak; pleading for a home; though he knows his presence disturbs; and questioning the rules of society; though his well being depends on their acceptance. Judging from his sensitive projection of this part, Bowie has the chance to achieve legit stardom … "

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Moshkiae
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 14:49:05 (permalink)
    Hi,

Thanks K

I would also like to mention that David has a desire to do work that is way more literary than Bryan ... and when you look at the massive list of names of the writers, film makers and other folks he has spent time with, you end up with a very nice resume indeed ... he just happens to also have music with it. Especially in a world (like here with some folks) where literature and other works are not valid or important!

Bryan is just plain different, and more of a romantic in his work, than David ... and the comparison is kinda scary ... Bryan is not interested in movies ... he is more interested in sounding "right" with whichever piece of music he has done, and he does it nicely. I think of Bryan as a really good "interpreter" of songs ... and David as more of an actor.

daryl1968
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 15:03:40 (permalink)
    Weird - on the radio today - David Bowie's new 'surprise' single AND the Bryan Ferry Jazz Orchestra.
    The Bryan Ferry Jazz Orchestra is a band formed by Mr Ferry who play Roxy Music hits played in a Trad Jazz style (I kid you not)
    craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 15:24:16 (permalink)
    daryl1968

Weird - on the radio today - David Bowie's new 'surprise' single AND the Bryan Ferry Jazz Orchestra.
    The Bryan Ferry Jazz Orchestra is a band formed by Mr Ferry who play Roxy Music hits played in a Trad Jazz style (I kid you not)

Oh right.  And next you'll probably tell us you like monkeys too, ya?

daryl1968
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 15:32:13 (permalink)
    Craig - unfortunately I am not kidding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2OOaJKAnxg
    yorolpal
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 18:43:00 (permalink)
    Yup...strange on both accounts.  Liked em both tho.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 21:34:10 (permalink)
    daryl1968

Love it. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 22:35:00 (permalink)
    Weird - on the radio today - David Bowie's new 'surprise' single

It's Bowie's birthday (Jan. 8).
    And Elvis's.
    And my room mate's.
    Maybe Ferry's, too?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    daryl1968
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 22:50:54 (permalink)
    57Gregy

And Elvis's.
    And my room mate's.
    Maybe Ferry's, too?

Happy Birthday to your room mate
    craigb
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/08 23:20:16 (permalink)
    daryl1968

57Gregy

And Elvis's.
    And my room mate's.
    Maybe Ferry's, too?

Happy Birthday to your room mate

You dissin' Mr. Jones and Mr. Pressley there Daryl?  Hehe...

daryl1968
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/09 07:59:34 (permalink)
    No but I thought at least one of them wouldn't care. 

Thank yer very muuch 
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/09 13:00:18 (permalink)
    She says "thank you".
    She's also not real happy turning 65, except that she gets Medicare now.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Moshkiae
    Re:David Bowie versus Bryan Ferry 2013/01/12 14:47:15 (permalink)
    daryl1968

That's not surprising. I would think that Bryan's style is almost a throw back to many of the lounge singers of years ago, and the jazz style, is more like what he would have done, but I think he knew that "jazz" was a road to nowhere land ... and people ignoring you after one album!

But you have to notice that these folks are aware ... of what their friends were doing ... and it was no secret that no "jazz" anything, was picking up any nickels in the 70's and 80's when you had such a vibrant rock stage in London! So, in this sense, Bryan was smart ... to do the right thing.

What is strange is his wife leaving to go marry Mick! And the covers, were never that great anymore! But then, I'm not sure that Mick doing a song about David's wife was not interesting, either ... but then, those times were not exactly innocent so everyone sleeping with everyone else, is not news anymore! Except for folks feigning idiocy, of course!
    post edited by Moshkiae - 2013/01/12 14:53:01

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1