Helpful ReplyDaw this, Daw that!

Author
GregRband
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 107
2017/12/02 19:46:16 (permalink)

Daw this, Daw that!

No right answers, yet no wrong answers either!
All daws are amazing, including SONAR of course. Almost can’t go wrong if you find one, or two three, that fit your feature needs and workflow style!
- Cubase 9+ is also nice
- Mixbus 4 also
- Samplitude Pro X3 well featured in current Suite sale flyer
- Studio One Pro 3.5 great for many and has Mastering Suite included
- Mixcraft Pro 8 a well equipped working daw full of surprises
- Waveform 8 looking very good in this version
- Reason 9+ now with Vst plugin use!
- Fl Studio 12 extra good for EDM and sound crafting beyond
- Logic Pro X stable and well equipped for sub $200 on a Mac
- Ableton Live so darn popular for so many
- Bitwig stealing the light from Ableton a little these days
etc... can’t go wrong really... personal choices or adventures is all!
Cheers!

Ps, Cakewalk Sonar Home Studio and Music Creator 7 still work fine and they haven’t been updated in a year or two I believe.... Sonar may do fine for a few years to come! Just sayin......
post edited by GregRband - 2017/12/04 21:49:38
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/04 21:42:07 (permalink)
I forgot to mention the FREE Daws....and some very low cost full featured worthy options too that don’t get enough credit and mention!
...so nobody feels left out!

- Magix Music Maker
- Tracktion T6
- Reaper
- Ardour
- Studio One Prime
- StageLight
- Pro Tools First
* Some are even Free with some Hardware (Mics, Interfaces, mixers, midi keyboards, etc, etc)
- Ableton Live lite
- Studio One Artist
- Ignite by Air
- Bitwig 8 Track
- Cubase AI (very good in new v9)
post edited by GregRband - 2017/12/05 02:21:41
azslow3
Max Output Level: -42.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3297
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/04 21:56:56 (permalink)
It is not good to "just" mention these 3 DAWs in "free" list with other:

* Reaper is not free. The fact they do not FORCE you to pay does not change that. Using it after demo period is the same as using Warez. The difference is only how you get it running, downloading from some sites/torrents or clicking "Yes, I want to use this software illegally" every time you start it.

* Tracktion and Ardour. These are full feature DAWs, not "light" versions of something else. Ardour is the only (!) open source DAW in the list. Tracktion is not open source, but awesome as a free software.

Sonar 8LE -> Platinum infinity, REAPER, Windows 10 pro
GA-EP35-DS3L, E7500, 4GB, GTX 1050 Ti, 2x500GB
RME Babyface Pro (M-Audio Audiophile Firewire/410, VS-20), Kawai CN43, TD-11, Roland A500S, Akai MPK Mini, Keystation Pro, etc.
www.azslow.com - Control Surface Integration Platform for SONAR, ReaCWP, AOSC and other accessibility tools
Sycraft
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 871
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/04 22:01:10 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby GregRband 2017/12/05 02:22:48
Though I would caution people on Ardour: It is hard to use and buggy compared to most commercial DAWs. This is not to say you shouldn't try it, you for sure should if you have time. Just make sure you've thoroughly tested it before you commit to it for a project.
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 02:29:27 (permalink)
azslow3
It is not good to "just" mention these 3 DAWs in "free" list with other:

* Reaper is not free. The fact they do not FORCE you to pay does not change that. Using it after demo period is the same as using Warez. The difference is only how you get it running, downloading from some sites/torrents or clicking "Yes, I want to use this software illegally" every time you start it.

* Tracktion and Ardour. These are full feature DAWs, not "light" versions of something else. Ardour is the only (!) open source DAW in the list. Tracktion is not open source, but awesome as a free software.

I apprecate your comments and view.
I did however choose to list Tracktion’s newer Waveform 8 instead, I see no harm in that, it’s a serious upgrade to the already great T7 and not very much money.

As for Reaper, you are right, last time I demo’d it, it was a longer demo and would just ask you to donate or upgrade to full to stop being asked upon each login. Apparently much has changed, but it looks great in new version!

Ardour appears to be free still, or darn close to it. I own it for last 2 years at a very minor monthly donation for first year. Not sure where it’s at now as I dont currently have it loaded and get it through Mixbus 4 myself.

Post edited to read a little clearer.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 04:09:06 (permalink)
Ardour is free if you have a decent foundation in linux and a lot of patience. To get the ready to run version and support you will need to pay $45 or more. You can get a monthly subscription as low as a $1/mth with some catches. You can dowbload source code and build with no support and a lot of headaches for free. Some distros include older or modded versions as well.

Ardour is also a challenge to get stable. I honestly find Bitwig a much easier but costlier linux option. It just works.
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 04:37:32 (permalink)
Haven’t used Ardour in over a year or two, but it has surely evolved and looks to be quite feature rich. My subscription was no restriction and included all updates/releases. Not sure directly if that plan has changed, but I went there earlier and it appears to look just as easy to get with no mention of purchase or cart link that I saw.
Wasn’t for me, plus I have it in Harrison Mixbus that I own also, but looks like if you learn it, it works great for many....and it’s really affordable! Could be a good fit for some!
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 05:37:18 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Ardour is free if you have a decent foundation in linux and a lot of patience. To get the ready to run version and support you will need to pay $45 or more. You can get a monthly subscription as low as a $1/mth with some catches. You can dowbload source code and build with no support and a lot of headaches for free. Some distros include older or modded versions as well.

Ardour is also a challenge to get stable. I honestly find Bitwig a much easier but costlier linux option. It just works.

What is the performance like in Bitwig? In terms of CPU and heavy load projects. I had performance problems with Sonar at times and I'm hoping to improve things once I switch to a new DAW. Bitwig seems like a perfect fit for me but I have heard the odd complaint about CPU usage. Even without sandboxing engaged. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
dubdisciple
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 07:09:20 (permalink)
sharke
dubdisciple

What is the performance like in Bitwig? In terms of CPU and heavy load projects. I had performance problems with Sonar at times and I'm hoping to improve things once I switch to a new DAW. Bitwig seems like a perfect fit for me but I have heard the odd complaint about CPU usage. Even without sandboxing engaged. 

I have not ran it very heavy to be honest and i only have 8 track version. Also, i only ran linux version because inwas desperate to have something i could actually run on linux out the box
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 08:01:28 (permalink)
Have you checked out Harrison Mixbus or Tracktion T6, T7, Waveform 8 for Linux?
I’ve heard a few commenting about them for that.
mkerl
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 190
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 13:25:26 (permalink)
GregRband
... can’t go wrong really... personal choices or adventures is all!

.... Sonar may do fine for a few years to come! Just sayin......

It's not that wrong to get some impressions to see what other progs can do for you, but honestly, I'm not in a hurry,  since Sonar runs like a Charme and will do for a few years as you're saying . . . .

Otherwise, something like the extended Videocapabilities of Mixcraft couldt make a great addition to Sonar :) 

Have fun !!
Cheers :) 

Nothing to do but playing (Ch. Parker)
dubdisciple
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 15:50:42 (permalink)
GregRband

I found traction beyond annoying to do basic things. Granted, i didn't make time to dive deeper, but it was completely unintuitive. Didn't uninstall but have not felt compelled. I have used mixbus. I am actually considering upgrading from 3 to 4 as a compliment to bitwig 8 track. I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus. Mixbus is horrible for creating.
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 16:07:05 (permalink)
mkerl
GregRband
... can’t go wrong really... personal choices or adventures is all!

.... Sonar may do fine for a few years to come! Just sayin......

It's not that wrong to get some impressions to see what other progs can do for you, but honestly, I'm not in a hurry,  since Sonar runs like a Charme and will do for a few years as you're saying . . . .

Otherwise, something like the extended Videocapabilities of Mixcraft couldt make a great addition to Sonar :) 

Have fun !!
Cheers :) 

Thanks for comment and open view. I agree fully with no harm in looking around. I have been for 4 of 4 years :)
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 16:16:30 (permalink)
dubdisciple
GregRband

I found traction beyond annoying to do basic things. Granted, i didn't make time to dive deeper, but it was completely unintuitive. Didn't uninstall but have not felt compelled. I have used mixbus. I am actually considering upgrading from 3 to 4 as a compliment to bitwig 8 track. I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus. Mixbus is horrible for creating.

Well, at least you gave Tracktion a try! ...and haven’t uninstalled it :)
Maybe it just isnt for you, it is quite different and unique as a daw, but I’ve been messing with it and upgrading for years, and once you get familiar with it, it does so much! Just upgraded to Waveform 8 myself, to check it out, and to support the evolution of Tracktion... but I own and appreciate many daws.

Since you like Bitwig so much, that combo with Mixbus for the mixer side sounds like a great idea! I am not familiar enough with what would be gained on the mixer side alone from v3 to v4. I do have the current v4 though.
dubdisciple
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 17:23:47 (permalink)
The theoretical gain is actually what i won't be using. Just makes sense to upgrade with it being so cheap to have latear version . I think i would be nore apt to give tracktion more time if i was not already working with multiple DAWs. The bitwig itself is a bit of a paradigm shift but far more easier to get up and running than tracktion.
GregRband
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 17:53:04 (permalink)
dubdisciple
The theoretical gain is actually what i won't be using. Just makes sense to upgrade with it being so cheap to have latear version . I think i would be nore apt to give tracktion more time if i was not already working with multiple DAWs. The bitwig itself is a bit of a paradigm shift but far more easier to get up and running than tracktion.

That all sounds good, I hope it works well for you.
Wow, you just made me realize how AMAZING Mixbus would be if it used Sonar instead of Ardour on the arranger/editor side! Dont think Harrison can afford to buy Cakewalk though :(
dubdisciple
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/05 20:08:55 (permalink)
Harrison is unlikely to buy cake, but it would not be a bad idea for them to grab some orphan bakers. Their vst handling and composition tools would likely improve
abacab
Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4464
Re: Daw this, Daw that! 2017/12/06 01:30:49 (permalink)
dubdisciple
I could create in bitwig and mix in mixbus.

I think you have a good point there with using different tools for the creating and mixing parts of the workflow!

There are many tools available that can be more inspiring to begin the music creation process with, than using the typical DAW.

But in the end you will probably need some serious DAW tools to do the mixing in.

I am leaning towards using Waveform for the MIDI creative tools, that include some interesting pattern generators. Well that, and/or Overture!  Then use Studio one for the arranging and mixing. 

But the creative alternatives depend on what you prefer to work with.  I also have Ableton Live, which could be interesting to begin with, as well as would Bitwig, I imagine. 

For those creating in the box, beginning in a less linear fashion would seem to offer more creative freedom than just a traditional linear track timeline and a mixer. 

DAW: CbB; Sonar Platinum, and others ... 
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1