"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
SnyderTrigger
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 177
2011/01/30 00:08:56 (permalink)

"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!!

Hey guys!

So, I went back and re-recorded my song after getting so much feedback from you and other trusted musician friends of mine. I worked really hard on it - hopefully I didn't just make it worse! It would be great if you listened to it.

To God be the glory!

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_7014536

or 

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10127307  (if it makes a difference :P)

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

My music: Nick Marsella @ Reverbnation

40 Replies Related Threads

thalweg
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 571
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/01/30 00:54:25 (permalink)
    Great recording and the record scratching gives it a more contemporary feel. Drums are a little dry on my system but they work.  I prefer a little more snap on the upper mid high end side of things as well.

I'm not crazy of the worship genre most of the lyrics sound hallmark card'ishy...its the rare one that delivers an interesting intellectual twist on the subject.  That said...my lyrics are usually horrible...so I really shouldn't be commenting on that aspect.

So focusing on the mix...I think it sounds really good. A nice classic arrangement as well.

Well done

My Music/Video Channel:

www.youtube.com/tonehook
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/01/30 17:50:09 (permalink)
    Thanks man! I meant this to be more like a prayer than an intellectual statement, but I totally understand what you mean. Thanks again for your input! How exactly should I EQ the drums to make it more snappy/less dry?    

Listened to your stuff - sounds awesome!
    post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2011/01/30 17:55:10

"Sing a new song to the Lord, for he has done wonderful deeds. His right hand has won a mighty victory; his holy arm has shown his saving power!" - Psalm 98:1

Janet
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8094
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/01/31 18:35:43 (permalink)
    Very well done and it's got a great hook, which is so important in this (and probably most) genres.  I really like this and you sound great playing and singing it!
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/01 18:34:57 (permalink)
    Thanks, Janet!!

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 00:02:12 (permalink)
    Bump? Haha.

mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 05:55:37 (permalink)
    hey nice tune. mix is getting there. personally i would have added a second acoustic track to add some more body, it sounds a little mid-lite and dry at the mo; just a simple trick like capo-ing at 5 and playing different chord shapes...same with the vocals; when the BV come in they need to be a little more forward, and if you could double-track the vocals...if not, try cloning the vocal track and really eqing/compressing the hell out of it, then mixing it very low to add a bit of body.
    still a WIP to me, but a very good song, and you certainly have the musical and singing skills

ps just having listened to Acoustigod's latest track, that is a very similar style, but a much better mix - if you listen you can tell how having two guitars with a bit of verb makes such a difference to the overall sound, and the BV there are mixed a lot higher...funny how i listened to these back-to-back.
    post edited by mgh - 2011/02/04 06:00:52

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    acoustigod
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 104
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 06:07:20 (permalink)
    I think the acoustic needs to be fixed up a bit. It sounds mono and sort of has a nasal/digital sound to it.

The drums need parallel compression.

The kick is not audible. It needs a boost in the low-end. It needs compression.

The snare needs to be brighter, and more compression. All the drums need to be brighter.

Roll off the lows on the voice a bit.

And in your mastering eq, you need to add more brightness as a whole.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/04 06:09:17

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 06:53:59 (permalink)

Need a song, demo or album mixed to sound great? Why waste weeks or months learning how to mix when I'm sure you'd rather spend your time writing songs and performing gigs? I can mix your tracks so that they sound fantastic. My rates are very affordable. Send me a PM to find out more.
    Guitarhacker
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 08:19:15 (permalink)
    I could see the kids at my church singing this in the teen worship services.

Nice job.

nits:

loose the "scratching track" it doesn't fit the song, it just distracts.  Was that people's voices in the beginning? also a bit distracting, unless it was recorded live which it didn't see to be because no one was singing along.

End the drums at the end of the song... having them continue past the music didn't work for me...I thought you missed the stop button, or the drummer wasn't paying attention.
    post edited by Guitarhacker - 2011/02/04 08:24:56

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/04 11:39:46 (permalink)
    cool tune...I'd try to fatten up the "day by day" part and for a contrast make the "I will follow" smaller...

not a big fan of the scrathing also...if it were more elcetic sounding I mgiht buy it...but not here..

still cool song and your heading in the right direction!!!
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 17:11:58 (permalink)
    Wow guys! Thank you so much for all this helpful advice and feedback! I will definitely take the scratching out. Haha, I noticed it wasn't working after I had already uploaded it (strange how that works). I might actually be having a family friend come over and lay down a few guitar tracks. We'll see how that turns out.

So - I'm gonna go back and use all this information to refine the song even more. Learning a lot! Thanks again!

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 17:31:05 (permalink)
    Yes, I like the scratching, but agree it probably doesn't fix with this song/genre.

"How exactly should I EQ the drums to make it more snappy/less dry?   "

Have you tried the Sonar P64 Percussion strip?
    http://www.youtube.com/us...ob=4#p/u/6/ohuHNrHp_H8

That plus a touch of reverb should give both snap and wet.

Definitely agreed that you can't hear the kick very much.   When I mix at church everyone gets WAY more, lol.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

listen
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 17:37:46 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

"How exactly should I EQ the drums to make it more snappy/less dry?   "

Have you tried the Sonar P64 Percussion strip?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/cakewalksoftware?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/6/ohuHNrHp_H8

Definitely agreed that you can't hear the kick very much.   When I mix at church everyone gets WAY more, lol.

Dude

I am grooving on the song but do have to agree on the drums - they could use some wetness...

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 18:39:59 (permalink)

Adding reverb to the kick is generally not a good idea. It could add mud or rumble that is just not needed. In fact, we want the kick sound tight - and so adding less frequencies, especially in the very low frequencies, is how to achieve that tight sound.

EQ and then compression is often much that is needed. Send the kick to a bus to compress it further and blend it back in with the original kick to get even more.

Shaping the transient can sometimes be used if the kick needs a lot of help as well, but that shouldn't be the first thing one does. It's only needed if you need more punch. A lot of the time though, you just need a good attack setting on the compressor and it'll sound just right.

Of course, with a bad kick sample, none of that matters. Then the solution is to replace it. So knowing if your sample/recorded kick is good for the song is also very important.

Also, I can't stress enough of the importance of room mic's. The sound from the drums often comes from room and overheads. If they are not recorded, you are expecting a lot from your kick track. Some of my mixes often don't sound as huge purely because the overheads didn't capture the kick... and there was no room mic. Sometimes you can go to the trouble of "inventing" one, and if that works, do it. That way you get the nice glue with the drums as well as the good attack/punch from the kick track.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/05 18:44:25

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 18:58:08 (permalink)
    "Adding reverb to the kick is generally not a good idea."

agreed, I thought we were talking about drums in general, and usually if someone says they sound dry, they are looking for more verb, or possibly delay or chorus (usually the first). 

That being said, I have put reverb on a kick at times, but it should be used sparinly, and only when that's the exact effect you are going after because of the problems you mention.

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 19:31:18 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

"Adding reverb to the kick is generally not a good idea."

agreed, I thought we were talking about drums in general, and usually if someone says they sound dry, they are looking for more verb, or possibly delay or chorus (usually the first). 

That being said, I have put reverb on a kick at times, but it should be used sparinly, and only when that's the exact effect you are going after because of the problems you mention.
    I wouldn't say the problem is that his drums are too dry (at least in the sense of effects, which is what I commonly refer to as dry)... I would say they are too muddy or lack brightness and crispness - mainly an EQ problem, and partly a compression problem.

I guess if you mean dry as in "no processing done to them at all", then I agree wholeheartedly.

One bit of advice I would give to the OP is to mix your stuff all at once and don't focus on one instrument at a time. A lot of people say, "start with the drums, then bass, then vocal, blah blah"... but that doesn't work, at least not for me.

I like to blast all the faders, play all the tracks at once and just make adjustments for 2-3 hours on looping - and this will be my rough mix. Then I go in with a fine-tooth comb and really polish stuff. I think it's more important to sculpt that macro-level sound, and this is an approach to achieving that. Envelopes and things like that are generally the last things I do.

I will also recommend to new mixers to do this for 15 minutes, take a few minutes break, listen to a reference track (make sure to listen at the same volume as your mix - not louder!) to readjust yours ears and get perspective, and then go at it again. It'll help you analyze your mix and recognize problems instantly. Then just keep doing that until it sounds right.

This approach is so much better than what I often see from "articles" and "advice" and such.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/05 19:32:51

listen
    • Total Posts : 593
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 19:38:33 (permalink)
    acoustigod

One bit of advice I would give to the OP is to mix your stuff all at once and don't focus on one instrument at a time. A lot of people say, "start with the drums, then bass, then vocal, blah blah"... but that doesn't work, at least not for me.

I like to blast all the faders, play all the tracks at once and just make adjustments for 2-3 hours on looping - and this will be my rough mix. Then I go in with a fine-tooth comb and really polish stuff. I think it's more important to sculpt that macro-level sound, and this is an approach to achieving that. Envelopes and things like that are generally the last things I do.

I will also recommend to new mixers to do this for 15 minutes, take a few minutes break, listen to a reference track (make sure to listen at the same volume as your mix - not louder!) to readjust yours ears and get perspective, and then go at it again. It'll help you analyze your mix and recognize problems instantly. Then just keep doing that until it sounds right.

This approach is so much better than what I often see from "articles" and "advice" and such.

There is definitely some credence to this approach

- Listen -
    FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
    Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
    Tap
    Max Output Level: -30 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4536
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 20:02:31 (permalink)
    Nice production and  performance. Really has a Jars of Clay style to it.

MC4 - M-Audio FW410 / Behringer UCA202 - Fender Strat / Jazzmaster / DuoSonic / Washburn / Peavy Foundation M-Audio Radium 49 Roland Juno 106 / JazzChorus / Seymore Duncan Convertible - HP A1230N ( AMD Athalon 3800+ 2G Ram + 200G HD )

http://soundclick.com/cut2thechaise

Philip
    Max Output Level: -34.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4062
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/05 21:27:15 (permalink)
    Not bad! 

The CCM 80's-90's style is not my cup of tea I'm afraid:

Beatz scratches seem a little foreign in this.  Interestingly, the beatz scratches disappear much of the 2nd half.  Is this your intention?  I seriously love beatz per se, but its usually all or nothing when I compose.  Also, a fanatical groove + bass-line ... seems to marry well with beatz, JMO.

The following is merely personal opinion and is in no wise true (just a personal quirk):

The wondering melancholy message of this psalm may (at 1st listen) beg a stronger faith-resolution (like your boldly proclaiming Christ's death and resurrection hopes).  But because many psalms leave me 'sweetly hanging' (like psalm 88) ... your pining resolution seems excellent enough.

Guitar strumming sounds most excellent, 10/10, to my ears. 

In Sum: Today's lush standards might beg more bottom end + beatz ... in your final product.

Philip  
    (Isa 5:12 And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD)

Raised-Again 3http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12307501
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 03:34:41 (permalink)
    Hey guys! Just uploaded a new version! I took all your advice. Spent all night working on this thing O_o Lets just say I found my dad's MIDI keyboard.

And yes, there are french horns. And I'm not ashamed of it. Lol. Psalm 98:4-6!

www.reverbnation.com/nickmarsella

www.soundclick.com/nickmarsella

post edited by SnyderTrigger - 2011/02/06 03:38:09

acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 06:12:59 (permalink)
    It's an improvement. It sounds more full than before I think... but it still sounds weak though. The mix seems brighter, mostly.

Thoughts:

1. Where is the bass guitar? It needs to be huge. I can't hear it.
    2. The kick is still buried. I can't hear it :(
    3. The snare is tinny and has no base.
    4. You absolutely must use parallel compression on the drums.
    5. I can detect compression and pumping in the track.
    6. The instrumental solo needs to be bigger/louder.
    7. You need more panning - needs to be bigger.

Think big, full and huge when you mix. Try and make it as big as you can.

Remember, always use a reference track. Use one that really mirrors your track and is well composed, recorded, mixed and produced.

Once you learn to use reference tracks, you really won't have to ask for much advice other than to maybe get a second ear to hear things, because the reference track will tell you most of the feedback you could ever want.

For example, if the reference track's kick is louder than yours at the same overall volume level - then you need to find a way to make the kick louder. If the snare seems to punch more than yours, then you need to fix that too. And so on and so forth.

After awhile, you won't need to use the reference track as much, but to start, you should use it constantly. It is your true guide to really measure how well you are mixing.

Also, the reference track helps you set GOALS. That way you're not just mixing blindly, hoping it sounds right.

I can hear a song here in my head - like how it's probably supposed to sound... the sound you probably intended. It still has a long way to go.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/06 06:31:18

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 08:18:37 (permalink)
    You have a real nice voice, Nick. +1 on the prior mix suggestions.
    Good song.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 12:28:21 (permalink)
    acoustigod

It's an improvement. It sounds more full than before I think... but it still sounds weak though. The mix seems brighter, mostly.

Thoughts:

1. Where is the bass guitar? It needs to be huge. I can't hear it.
    2. The kick is still buried. I can't hear it :(
    3. The snare is tinny and has no base.
    4. You absolutely must use parallel compression on the drums.
    5. I can detect compression and pumping in the track.
    6. The instrumental solo needs to be bigger/louder.
    7. You need more panning - needs to be bigger.

Think big, full and huge when you mix. Try and make it as big as you can.

Remember, always use a reference track. Use one that really mirrors your track and is well composed, recorded, mixed and produced.

Once you learn to use reference tracks, you really won't have to ask for much advice other than to maybe get a second ear to hear things, because the reference track will tell you most of the feedback you could ever want.

For example, if the reference track's kick is louder than yours at the same overall volume level - then you need to find a way to make the kick louder. If the snare seems to punch more than yours, then you need to fix that too. And so on and so forth.

After awhile, you won't need to use the reference track as much, but to start, you should use it constantly. It is your true guide to really measure how well you are mixing.

Also, the reference track helps you set GOALS. That way you're not just mixing blindly, hoping it sounds right.

I can hear a song here in my head - like how it's probably supposed to sound... the sound you probably intended. It still has a long way to go.
    Hmmm....well, alright! My problem is clipping. When I get that bass drum louder, it clips! So I have to take the master down a notch so it doesn't clip. And a couple things:

- What is parallel compression??
    - How do I effectively use compression so it doesn't pump?
    - I've heard the bass shouldn't be loud, or it will muddy the track, but I'll fix it.
    - That's strange! I tried to use as much panning as possible. I'll just take it to the extreme, I guess.

Thanks for this, man! Totally a blessing.

philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 13:47:41 (permalink)
    I think I caught the original of this tune too, Nick, and it is sounding better.  It's a good song, and I think your vocals are just about perfect on it.  Well, I'm a bit late to the party here, and you've already received the suggestions I would have made.  I think Herb and Mark covered them well.
    SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/06 23:14:08 (permalink)
    Thanks, Philz! I'm actually working on a newer version taking in even MORE suggestions. Plus, I had a guitarist from my church lay down a track. Hopefully I'll get it done tonight. 

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/07 02:12:38 (permalink)
    Alright!! Got the final version up - free download, too. :)

I think I'm going to move on to another song of mine. Gosh, I love writing music for the Lord so much! Man...nothing compares to knowing Christ, you guys. Seriously. 

Anywho - feedback is still welcome, for sure! 

acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/07 03:14:42 (permalink)
    SnyderTrigger

Hmmm....well, alright! My problem is clipping. When I get that bass drum louder, it clips! So I have to take the master down a notch so it doesn't clip. And a couple things:

- What is parallel compression??
    - How do I effectively use compression so it doesn't pump?
    - I've heard the bass shouldn't be loud, or it will muddy the track, but I'll fix it.
    - That's strange! I tried to use as much panning as possible. I'll just take it to the extreme, I guess.

Thanks for this, man! Totally a blessing.
    You don't have to clip track to make it louder. Compressing and further limiting a kick or snare will get it to sound even louder without clipping.

You can send it to a bus and get an instant increase in volume while both the track and bus won't clip. This is just the start though. We don't want both the bus and the kick/snare/etc to sound the same - we can actually get a fatter sound. So, we compress the bus even more than we compress the original kick track. When both play at the same time, it will sound much fatter than without it, and it will cut through in the mix.

We need to do this for all the drums. Google "parallel compression". It is not an unknown thing. Youtube has many good examples.

The reason your compressors pump is because the release times are not set correctly. Play with the release time so that it doesn't pump. Usually this is a result of noticeable shifts in volume going up and down, so with a faster release time, the pumping will not be noticeable. Don't make it too fast, because it will reduce clarity and will kill the flow/movement of the song. You need to find the sweet spot.

The bass can be as loud as you want it to be. You were given awful advice. Use yours ears. If the bass is not loud enough by your ears and by comparing it to reference tracks, then that means you should make it louder. The reason it's muddy is because you are getting frequency clashes with other instruments/tracks. That means you need to EQ the bass and other instruments to reduce the mud and get it to sound sonically balanced and smooth.

Don't be afraid to pan 80% or even 100%. Typically 80% is good for L/R instruments like guitars. Obviously let your ears (and headphones) be your judge. This will let you crank the center instruments - kick, bass, snare, vocal, etc. - to fill in the center. It works really well. Of course, don't let this cause you to neglect your EQ duties.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/07 03:29:47

acoustigod
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/07 04:30:49 (permalink)
    SnyderTrigger

Alright!! Got the final version up - free download, too. :)

I think I'm going to move on to another song of mine. Gosh, I love writing music for the Lord so much! Man...nothing compares to knowing Christ, you guys. Seriously. 

Anywho - feedback is still welcome, for sure! 

I spent 6 minutes and made some really quick corrections. Obviously I can't do a whole lot without spending either a ton of time on it or just getting the actual files, but this will give you an idea as to what you can attempt to do in your mix. It is NOT the ideal result - this can be 5x as good as it is potentially. This is just a balance fix of what you have:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4...-%20Day%20By%20Day.mp3

I wouldn't use this version on your website or anything because the eq of various instruments gets thrown off in order to demostrate the EQ of other things.

Anyway, notice you can now hear the kick? That's not even as loud as it should be, but I had to boost 15db at 98hz, which gives you an indication as to how low it was in your mix.

You have a lot of frequency build up in 140-230hz. Specifically, 166hz is very bad. You need to eq/pan the acoustics and move them out of the way of the bass.

The snare doesn't crack as hard as it could. I boosted a lot around 225hz, but you need to do this on the individual track. Reduce some amount of this frequency on the acoustics.

Overall, the mix had to be brighter. I boosted several around areas at 2.5k and higher. Ideally, these eq boosts should be done in the right instruments rather than on the whole track. Notice that the hi hats and bottom of the snare get too much sizzle and snare sounds. You'll probably have to boost the highs of the overall track anyway, but not as much once the instruments are corrected.

There's also some nasal sounds from the acoustics and voice that need to be cut, which is kind of hard to do on the master. The "shh" sounds in the voice need to be removed too.

There's still a lot of mud and frequency clashes. I could fix them, but it would take too much time and they are way better to fix in the mix anyway.
    post edited by acoustigod - 2011/02/07 04:48:02

SnyderTrigger
    Re:"Day By Day" - Revised and Re-Recorded!! 2011/02/08 23:12:59 (permalink)
    Wow! Thanks for all of that useful information, acoustigod! I'm soaking all of this up like a sponge. Totally gonna put this to work.

Couple things:

The drums are a loop track I built, so I didn't have the liberty of singling out the bass drum. But, I even boosted the bass frequencies in the drum track by a lot, and they weren't coming through the rest of the mix. I don't know why this is. 

I also have a question - how do you properly compress things? It seems like I understand what a compressor is supposed to do, but I can't use it like it should be used.

I removed a lot of the sss's and whatnot, but apparently I didn't get them all! :P

How would I go about removing the nasal-ness from the acoustic? I'm afraid that the guitar I recorded with (my guitar) is a really thin-bodied acoustic-electric, and it doesn't sound that great in the first place. I would go direct (it has a great Fishman electronics), but that's too harsh for my tastes. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1