Default audio export preset

Author
chris_lydon
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5
2008/09/09 03:17:39 (permalink)

Default audio export preset

Hi there

I've tried searching for this on the forum already but can't find anything... maybe it has been covered before but I couldn't find the right search terms if it has.... so apologies if this is an old discussion!

I am wondering whether it is possible to have a default audio export preset on Sonar Studio (7)?
I only ever export in 16 bit (for putting on CDs)... and actually sometimes I'd love to be able to set up a preset for just the project I'm working on so it has the same settings all the time, until I change it again.

Right now I am doing a project where I will be exporting lots of MP3s and would love to just be able to click "export audio" and every time have the correct settings I want come up no matter how many times I open/close Sonar over the next week or so.

Thanks for any advice you guys can offer.

All the best

Chris Lydon

10 Replies Related Threads

Marah Mag
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 03:46:28 (permalink)
    Hi Chris.

You can save a preset with the settings you want. But as far as I know there's no way to have that setting come up automatically from one session to the next. It will remember the setting everytime you open the dialog within a session (after the first time you actually *use* it on that session; if yo uback out of the dialog before doing the first export, you'll have to reset it all.) But once you close and reopen Sonar you'll have to recall the preset.

FWIW, a while back I was having problems writing and recalling mp3 export presets. That might have been Sonar 6... or maybe it was just been something odd on my end. But they're working fine in Sonar 7.

HTH
    chris_lydon
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 04:00:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for that, Marah Mag.
    I thought that might be the case - a little part of me was hoping there was a setting somewhere in the vast "Global" options page that would do it for me, or even a neat registry tweak, but it's not a huge problem if there isn't! I can handle selecting a preset. And as you say, it should remember it whilst Sonar stays open, but just irritating if I have to shut down for whatever reason then forget the first time I export again to select the preset!

If anyone else out there has advice/insider knowledge, I'd love to hear it though!

All the best

Chris
    SteveStrummerUK
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31112
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 07:38:05 (permalink)

Hi Chris

Take a look in Options>Global and click on the Audio Data tab.

Set the Render Bit Depth option to 16 and you should be good to go.

Steve

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

chris_lydon
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 09:38:18 (permalink)
    Steve - thanks for that! I thought there might be an option hidden somewhere in that Global options page!

All the best

Chris
    CJaysMusic
    • Total Posts : 30423
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 12:25:19 (permalink)

I would keep that at 32bits. 16bits is too low for bouncing and freezing. I think steve is talking about somethnig else. That global setting has nothing to do with exporting. It has to do with internal bouncing and freezing (IE; Rendering)

It does not take much to set your export properites (main outs, 16bits, 44.1khz, and your dither)
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 13:07:01 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: CJaysMusic

I would keep that at 32bits. 16bits is too low for bouncing and freezing. I think steve is talking about somethnig else. That global setting has nothing to do with exporting. It has to do with internal bouncing and freezing (IE; Rendering)

It does not take much to set your export properites (main outs, 16bits, 44.1khz, and your dither)
    Cj

CJ, I'm going by what happens in Home Studio 6XL so I may be barking up the wrong tree!

My normal default in the Export Audio screen for bit depth is 32, if I change the Render value in Options>Global>Audio Data to 16, every project I open now shows 16 bit as the default export bitrate.

This is the Global Options Audio Data screen in HS6 - is it different in SONAR?

CJaysMusic
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 13:13:25 (permalink)
    Yea, but youll lose all the headroom when you bounce or freeze tracks. This is not a good idea. Its beeter to click 16bits on the export menu rahter than lose lose 16bits that will do a bounce or freeze good. Just like milk does a body good.
    If i was you. I would keep the render bit rate at 32. When you export, just click 16bits. your projects will love you for this....
    Cj

www.audio-mastering-mixing.com - A Professional Worldwide Audio Mixing & Mastering Studio, Providing Online And Attended Sessions. We also do TV commercials, Radio spots & spoken word books
    Audio Blog
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 13:25:20 (permalink)

Nearly got it CJ - are you saying that once the Global Render bitrate is set to 16 bit, this value will be applied to all bounces as well as being the default setting for export?

In other words, if I bounce all the separate clips in a track recorded at 24 bit to one clip, this clip will now be 16 bit?

Sorry if my questions appear a bit clumsy but this is confusing me - that's why I'm asking.

Steve

CJaysMusic
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 13:28:43 (permalink)
    Nearly got it CJ - are you saying that once the Global Render bitrate is set to 16 bit, this value will be applied to all bounces as well as being the default setting for export?

Yes Sir, you have it....now go to a doctor and get rid of it..
    if I bounce all the separate clips in a track recorded at 24 bit to one clip, this clip will now be 16 bit?

Yes, and that isnt good.
    Cj

Audio Blog
    SteveStrummerUK
    RE: Default audio export preset 2008/09/09 13:34:19 (permalink)

Thanks CJ - I've just changed mine back to 32 bit

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1