Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece)

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2017/04/15 16:54:29 (permalink)

Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece)

So, over the past month and a half I've been working on what is actually a remake of a tune I did back in 2015. The new version is right below, the old one is at the bottom of the post.
https://soundcloud.com/davdud101/defenders-of-totem-2017-2

Let me know what you guys think! I wouldn't say it's done, but I'm here to get some critiques about the mix and arrangement.

Original:
https://soundcloud.com/davdud101/defenders-of-totem

Thanks for a taking a listen! It's been a LONG while it seems since I last uploaded, and I've been putting a lot more time into the details when recording (especially in arranging and performance) than I ever did before, so hopefully that shows even though I don't necessarily just stream out with new (low-quality) tunes week by week like I used to!
post edited by davdud101 - 2017/04/18 05:14:13

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

10 Replies Related Threads

savageopera
    Max Output Level: -78 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 625
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/15 18:52:11 (permalink)
    Herb Alpert lives! Great mid 60's soundtrack feel primo job on the brass melodies, timbre and execution. Are these real horn players? My only crit is the distracting low buzzy thing that starts at 19 seconds. It sounds like a 60 cycle hum through a fuzztone on my lappy. Maybe on better monitors it would fit in. Otherwise, Super arrangement and very pro job top notch and fun IMO.......Ron

Sonar Artist, HP Laptop, AMD A8700 , 1T+250g, M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ,Roland 88 Hammer action, Roland AX-1, M-audio 88es, Arturia minilabII......When I was young I wanted to become a mad scientist. I achieved everything except the "scientist" part....http://www.soundclick.com/savageopera
    davdud101
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/16 19:02:42 (permalink)
    savageopera
    Herb Alpert lives! Great mid 60's soundtrack feel primo job on the brass melodies, timbre and execution. Are these real horn players? My only crit is the distracting low buzzy thing that starts at 19 seconds. It sounds like a 60 cycle hum through a fuzztone on my lappy. Maybe on better monitors it would fit in. Otherwise, Super arrangement and very pro job top notch and fun IMO.......Ron

Haha! Thanks for the words, Ron! Yup, used a 9-man horn section in this tune (trumpet, flugelhorn, and trombone - three of each. I'm considering adding in an Eb mellophone or something and doing pairs of flugels and mellophones or something.)
    I particularly like writing in certain groups and voicing styles with this arrangement - flugels over trombones in chords, two trumpets and a flugel in octaves, flugels playing lines in unison, etc. etc.
    So many cool possibilities with this kinda group!
    I was certainly aiming for that sort of classic big band sound to some degree with a modern drum 'n' bass-like approach, so it's cool that that stuck out :)

(I'm trying different things out with that 'low buzz'- it's either my sample-based cimbasso, or my synth bass. Most likely the latter, I'll look into that a bit. Might be worth it for me to also do a mono-check- forgot about that!)

emeraldsoul
    Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/17 04:42:58 (permalink)
    Gosh, that was an unexpected pleasure to listen to. Cool peppy lounge with your drumnnbass twist.
    I listened on headphones, and found the bass or lower registers a little wanting. I bet an earbud listener might not hear much low end at all, even given the shortcomings those infernal contraptions possess.

The tune itself was remarkable and inventive, and I thought maybe a "Cirque du Soliel in the 60's" concept album is in the making here. Well done!

-Tom

A work in regress:
    www.studiusinterruptus.com

Cornbread - video   audio
    A Very, Very Troubled Soul - video   
    Kilometers Davis - video   audio
    Mayans (Face in the Crowd) - video  audio
    The Sweet Slow Fade - video
    daryl1968
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10984
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/17 14:19:07 (permalink)
    Very cool - nice little production touches here and there.
    philz
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/17 14:31:08 (permalink)
    The first thing that needs to be said is that this is a really good little piece of music.  As for crits, I would say you could use more low end (bass and kick), and I felt the percussion could have made more of a statement when you changed up around :50 - 1:00.  But overall, very nicely done.
    davdud101
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/17 15:57:59 (permalink)
    daryl1968
    Very cool - nice little production touches here and there.

Thanks for listening, Daryl! 

philz
    The first thing that needs to be said is that this is a really good little piece of music.  As for crits, I would say you could use more low end (bass and kick), and I felt the percussion could have made more of a statement when you changed up around :50 - 1:00.  But overall, very nicely done.

Thanks a lot, phil. I'll bear in mind the bass-issue for future mixes! I personally also felt that lack, even while mixing, but was nervous about ruining anything. I've only got a pair of low-end 3-inchers at my disposal, so not much in regards to the low end.
    I also agree with the comment about that transition - it felt a little lacking.

Thanks again, guys!

MarkusClinus
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 710
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/18 00:03:31 (permalink)
    Spectacular - big sound you have here. Very ingenious - you're one talented guy - love this.

Mark
    (formerly CLEAN)
    THE PUGTONES

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/18 13:00:00 (permalink)
    Nice job on this Dave! Agree on the low end comments, but everything else sounds nice and tight. Sounds like you had a good time putting this together.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    davdud101
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/18 15:12:01 (permalink)
    MarkusClinus
    Spectacular - big sound you have here. Very ingenious - you're one talented guy - love this.

dcumpian
    Nice job on this Dave! Agree on the low end comments, but everything else sounds nice and tight. Sounds like you had a good time putting this together.

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks a lot, fellas! I definitely had a blast making this one 

My setup is pretty low-end deficient. I think it'll fix itself up as I work more in it and get used to the sound of my speakers. Perhaps I can find a pair of reliable headphones and use those for checking if I've got enough bass?

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: Defenders of Totem (Brass Band / Rock piece) 2017/04/18 17:35:31 (permalink)
    davdud101
    MarkusClinus

dcumpian

Regards,
    Dan

Thanks a lot, fellas! I definitely had a blast making this one 

My setup is pretty low-end deficient. I think it'll fix itself up as I work more in it and get used to the sound of my speakers. Perhaps I can find a pair of reliable headphones and use those for checking if I've got enough bass?

Generally, headphones are really not that helpful for this aspect of mixing. If you have a regular stereo elsewhere in your home, play your mixes on that. And in your car (assuming your car stereo isn't terrible). You may also consider adding a sub to your monitors.

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1