Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW

Author
Rbh
Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2349
2017/08/12 04:09:34 (permalink)

Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW

This is great feature - coming from sonar 5 to professional -to be able to delete a synths output tracks automatically when deleting a synth from the Synth Rack. BUT, why in the world would that be designed to delete the midi source track " associated " to the synth? That is crazy - especially when the midi track is not in view ! it's just -  POOF  - gone.  That is a critical source data track! Please tell me there is a switch or configuration setting to NOT delete the source midi track.
Imagine a scenario, which I undertake daily, to simply plug in synth after synth to audition a midi track for a session, having to assign and un-assign a midi track to the synth before and after each synth insert and delete is very tedious. Even if the midi track would be assigned to no output - at least the source data isn't in danger of being deleted.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
12 Gig
Appollo
CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
 Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832

9 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 04:17:40 (permalink)
    You can substitute one synth with another synth using the browser, while leaving your MIDI Tracks, assignments, etc. as is. The Replace Synth option is in the Synth Rack drop-down menu.

A LOT has changed since SONAR 5! It may be disorienting at first, but there are significant improvements.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 04:21:42 (permalink)
    Delete Associated Tracks does not discriminate between track types assigned to the synth.
    Try using "Replace Synth" instead of "Delete Synth" when you want to audition different synths.
    "Replace Synth" is found in the track context menus and the Synth Rack Menu.

Rbh
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 06:01:26 (permalink)
    Thank you Craig and Scook for the heads up on the workflow change. I'll need to get re-habituated on this. Craig I've been updated for about 4 -5 months and I'm very impressed and happy with Sonar Pro. The (re-learning curve has been great ). I think it's still the best Daw software going and I've been with it since the Dos days.
    I would still however advocate that the midi track not be included in the delete associated tracks when deleting a synth from the synth rack. - maybe it's my workflow, but I can't ever see a reason to chance deleting  a data track without a very specific and purposeful path to doing that.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 10:53:24 (permalink)
    Rbh
    Thank you Craig and Scook for the heads up on the workflow change. I'll need to get re-habituated on this. Craig I've been updated for about 4 -5 months and I'm very impressed and happy with Sonar Pro. The (re-learning curve has been great ). I think it's still the best Daw software going and I've been with it since the Dos days.
    I would still however advocate that the midi track not be included in the delete associated tracks when deleting a synth from the synth rack. - maybe it's my workflow, but I can't ever see a reason to chance deleting  a data track without a very specific and purposeful path to doing that.

If you right click on the audio portion of the synth in track view, and choose delete track it will preserve the midi track. (But it leaves the synth in the synth rack with no assigned/associated  audio track). Replace Synth as noted previously is a much better option usually. 
    I believe another option is that you can Clone and rename the midi track prior to deleting the synth from the synth rack to preserve Midi data where you want to preserve your Midi data.
    Or you can freeze unneeded synths to free up processor resources, and move them to a folder for housecleaning and not worry about deleting them at all.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 15:40:41 (permalink)
    Back at SONAR 5 (or was it 7?), there was briefly a bug wherein if you deleted the synth and didn't reroute its track, the program could crash on playback.

From then on, I got into the habit of inserting the new synth first and re-routing the MIDI and audio tracks before deleting the old one. This had the added benefit of being able to easily switch back to the original synth with its settings intact if I didn't like the new one. I still do it that way today, even though it's no longer necessary.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 17:40:03 (permalink)
    One other option is to use Synths with an Audio Track and a Midi track in a folder, after your first go through with your first synth, clone the MIDI track to a new stand alone MIDI track.

Then you can either replace the synth or instantiate another synth then just redirect the output of the MIDI track to the new synth.

Whilst SIT's keep down screen real estate I still prefer to work with separate audio and MIDI tracks in track folders.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    MarioD
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 901
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 18:56:30 (permalink)
    Another option would be to uncheck the delete associated tracks in the pop-up menu.  I'm not at my music computer so I can't give you a picture.

The reason people say the vinyl sounds better is because the music was better.

Sonar Platinum, Intel i7 –2600 CPU @ 3.2 GHz, 16 GB ram, 2x2TB internal drives and 1 1TB internal drive, Radeon HD 5570 video card, HP 25" monitor,
    Roland Octa Capture, MOTU Midi Express 128, Win 10 Pro

www.soundcloud.com/Mario_Guitar
    Rbh
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/12 22:27:23 (permalink)
    Mario D - Yes you can uncheck the " delete associated tracks " For me the main benefit was to quickly clean-up the track pane. For example - everytime I insert Battery  - it inserts 16 tracks of outputs. I've rarely used more than 6 of those stereo track to process drums. So - if I delete battery I'm left with selecting and separately deleting those 16 tracks.  I think I'll adapt Bits workflow and just change the order of my inserting prior to deleting the current synth - the downside is that I cluster the track pane even more before deleting from the synth rack, or replacing if it's a single out synth. It's all good - it's just that opportunity to lose a critical data track that bothers me about the current default action. I appreciate the input on this.

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
     Win7 Pro

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: Delete synth - delete associated tracks- WOW 2017/08/13 16:05:58 (permalink)
    I do this a lot and was un aware of the replace option so once again big thanks to scook for once more pointing out a simple feature I missed. 

But my findings are the remove associated tracks box will be unchecked by default if there is a midi track assigned to that synth. 
    So my workflow has been to insert the new synth, re assign the midi track to the new synth then choose the delete synth option. The box is then checked and all goes fine. But I will now try the replace option which will save time. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1