Deleting Notes (question)

Author
squeak_D
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2006/10/03 16:28:44 (permalink)

Deleting Notes (question)

Hi folks, can anyone help me with this? I'm used to hardware sequencing (synths/workstations), and I've had Cakewalk for some time, and I find myself using it more.

I created a drum pattern, and I copied and pasted the pattern because on the copied version I want to take out the hi-hat part and change it. Is there a way to do this without having to go under "event edit" something similiar to a synth for example. On synths you can press the delete button keep it pressed and then press the key with the instrument part you want to delete. Can anything like this be done in Cakewalk or do I have to use event edit? That's pretty time consuming (unless I'm missing something).

Thanks,
Squeak

4 Replies Related Threads

zepo1a
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 686
    RE: Deleting Notes (question) 2006/10/03 16:46:22 (permalink)
    Piano Roll view perhaps?

Zep--

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=292801
    Now Featuring
    The Bestest Little Wing Solo EVAR!!!!!
    Blackbird (A Beatles Cover)
    and
    COAFBH (Or, How not to make a 4 track tape recording!)
    ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Deleting Notes (question) 2006/10/03 16:56:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: squeak_D

Hi folks, can anyone help me with this? I'm used to hardware sequencing (synths/workstations), and I've had Cakewalk for some time, and I find myself using it more.

I created a drum pattern, and I copied and pasted the pattern because on the copied version I want to take out the hi-hat part and change it. Is there a way to do this without having to go under "event edit" something similiar to a synth for example. On synths you can press the delete button keep it pressed and then press the key with the instrument part you want to delete. Can anything like this be done in Cakewalk or do I have to use event edit? That's pretty time consuming (unless I'm missing something).

Thanks,
    Squeak

Yes, in event view you can delete and insert events. You would need to do this before you copy the so you don't have to insert it on each pattern. If an event is highlighted you just press delete and it's gone. Also, if you press insert you get a duplicate of the highlighted event. Then just change the time value to where you want it, move to the note value and press enter, then press the key on the midi keyboard you want to change the value to. There might be an easier way but that's the way I remember doing it.

If you need to change a note then you could use interpolate. It works just like search and replace in a word processor and you can also limit it to a selection. After you make your selection and do edit / interpolate you will get the first of two dialogs that look the same. On that first one you tell it what you want to "find". For example on the note range if you want only one note enter the same value for both. While in that entry field you should be able to just press the note on the keyboard to enter it, then tab to the next field and press it again. So if you enter C3 to C3 it will only change all the C3s it finds. The next dialog is the "replace", on this one you would enter what note you want those C3s to be. So if you want them to be D#3 then enter D#3 in both fields. This can get a bit complex so press F1 there or check the manual for interpolate, it's very powerful.

post edited by ohhey - 2006/10/03 17:11:31
    squeak_D
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Deleting Notes (question) 2006/10/03 19:08:45 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies. I find that I like Cakewalk more and more every time I use the software. It's nice being able to see so much on one screen, and the functions are laid out very well. I'll tinker with it some more to see what other tricks I can figure out.

Squeak
    Dave King
    Max Output Level: -46.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2862
    RE: Deleting Notes (question) 2006/10/04 03:54:08 (permalink)
    In the Piano Roll view, if you want to just change the hi-hat to say a ride cymbal, you can highlight the whole row of hi-hat events and then drag them up to the cymbal row in one shot. Now you have cymbals instead of hi-hats.

Dave King
    www.davekingmusic.com

SONAR X2 Producer 64-Bit 
    StudioCat PC
    Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1 
    Intel Corel i5 3450 CPU @3.10 GHz 
    RAM 8 GB
    M-Audio Delta 44

M-Audio MidiSport 2x2

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1