Hi...

I'm trying to use Cakewalk Home Studio 2002 Version 10.0.2 to record
voice tracks at home for a commercial production studio. I was told it would be
as simple as purchasing a good quality microphone ... plugging it into the
computer...and magic would happen.

Well...I have the microphone (HeilSound PR-40). It is a dynamic, broadcast
quality mike, with 600 Ohm balanced output...and an output level of -53.9 dB
at 1000 hz.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 6000 with a built in Sigma-Tel C Major sound card.
I have clicked the box to always use the MME interface in the Audio Options>Advanced
window.

Here are the problems I'm having:

1. Audio quality is weak and watery on playback. The audio level barely registers on the
recorded track. Do I need a pre-amp?

2. There is static and clicking on the recorded track. It goes away when the
microphone is disconnected. Moving the wire near the XLR and 1/4 inch
connectors has no effect on the static.

3. There is a delay between what I'm recording and what I hear in the headphones.
Yes, I know using the headphones is a crutch...but I've been using them for
a little over 30 years...and it's a little hard to change now.

4. I need to export to MP3...there's an additional program required from Cakewalk to
do that...right?

Not a problem...but an editorial inquiry...is HomeStudio an appropriate program for what I'm
trying to do?

Thanks in advance...I've been reading some of the posts and responses...I PROMISE to print
off and read the manual tommorrow...just need to get off dead center here.

Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop 1GB/80GB HD
HeilSound PR40 Mike

9 Replies Related Threads

AristotleY
    Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 00:50:22 (permalink)
    Welcome

I think I can help on some of these.

1. First the microphone. Here I'm not so sure, but your low-impedence mic is not driving the high impedence mic input of the Sigma-Tel board. For this, you need a mic preamp. For you, the best thing you could do is to get a small Behringer mixer ($60 or so) that has a couple of mic preamps. This unit isn't great quality, but it's not horrible either -- plenty for you right now.

2. See 1 above

3. The delay. You want to monitor directly. In your manual, read about Direct Input Monitoring. You hear a delay because the computer is converting it to digital, processing it, coverting back to audio, and playing at you. You get a delay. But the software can create direct connection between input and output so that don't get a delay during recording.

4. Export to MP3. Yes, there's a number of free "trial" conversions that come with HS but when you've burned through them you have to pay.

Enjoy.
    papa2004
    Max Output Level: -10.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6475
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 02:09:32 (permalink)
    To do broadcast V/O's you will need a mixer...One with at least four inputs (including at least one--preferably two--with XLR mic inputs--phantom power would be desirable, as well, in the event you decide to add a condenser mic in the future)...You should also have a "Tape Monitor" input and/or a "Control Room/Aux" input...That way you can route the output of your soundcard to one of those input sources to "monitor" what you've recorded without that audio signal feeding the output of the mixer (creating a feedback loop to/from your soundcard)...

BTW, whoever told you it "would be as simple as purchasing a good quality microphone... plugging it into the computer...and magic would happen..." is a complete idiot (and you have my permission to quote me on that)...DAW recording, simple or otherwise, is a technical function that not only has no "magic" capabilities, it requires a more than basic knowledge of audio engineering applications.

Are you as "new" to producing commercials as you are to this forum? If so, I suggest you invest a good deal of time reading reference materials related to audio production for broadcast applications and integrating hardware with DAW systems.

Broadcast production is, in almost every instance, very "deadline" oriented and you will, inevitably, have problems in the beginning if you don't know what you're doing and hope that this forum will be able to solve your problem instantly. (I'm not being critical, just trying to give sage advice from someone with over 3 decades of experience)...If you "blow" your first three or four "projects" by not meeting deadlines or quality expectations, you'll tarnish your professional reputation (and word of mouth spreads VERY quickly). Right now you're in over your head. You need to take some time to get acquainted with what you're getting into.

Good Luck!
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    ND8L
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 09:45:21 (permalink)
    Aristotle...

Thanks for the tips...I thought maybe there was an impedance
    issue...that's certainly worth further investigation.

I'm printing out the HS manual at work today...and will work on
    the direct connection tonight.

MP3 Export...thought so...but $29.00 won't break the bank.

Regarding mail order companies...who (whom) do you like? I have a
    Sweetwater catalog...they seem to have lots of stuff...and
    brag extensively on their customer support.

Thanks!

Ray

HeilSound PR40 Mike
    ND8L
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 09:59:38 (permalink)
    Papa...

Thanks for your words. If, wisdom is knowing what you don't
    know...I'm the smartest guy on the Forum.

Bear with me here...

1) Do you have any specific recommendations for a mixer? The
    one problem I see is that the Dell laptop only has a mike input and
    headphone output...I may need to go back to the desktop and
    replace the soundcard!?

2) Do you think there's any merit in purchasing a small mixer with
    digital recording capability...and transferring that file to the PC
    via USB or Smart Card and editing in HS?

3. Yep...thought that deal about "plugging in the microphone and
    then magic..." was a bit too easy. Blessed are those who expect
    nothing...they shall not be disappointed.

4. Actually, I've been doing voice-overs for about thirty years. I've
    been out of the broadcast side of the biz since 1984...worked for
    WDVE in Pittsburgh (ABC O&O) and KDKA as a weekend jock
    while in grad school. That being said...up 'til now...I've just stood
    in front of a mike and talked. Now...two of the studios I work for
    would like me to cut my own audio and e-mail to them.

5. Any recommendation for reading material you could pass along would
    be appreciated.

Glad you came through the storms ok...my son lives in Sarasota with his
    Mom...I have a feeling I'm going to be lighting a lot of candles this season.

Take care.

HeilSound PR40 Mike
    papa2004
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 13:14:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ND8L

Papa...

Thanks for your words. If, wisdom is knowing what you don't
    know...I'm the smartest guy on the Forum.

Bear with me here...

1) Do you have any specific recommendations for a mixer? The
    one problem I see is that the Dell laptop only has a mike input and
    headphone output...I may need to go back to the desktop and
    replace the soundcard!?

If you have a USB or FireWire port you can get an external soundcard such as the M-Audio Audiophile USB . Then there are options such as the TASCAM US122 which is a compact mixer and USB computer interface. It act as a "soundcard" for your laptop. There are many affordable options available to you in this area. You will have to make your final decision(s) based on your budget and what your actual needs are.

BTW, many of the equipment recommendations I post links to are from Sweetwater.com so I should add that I do NOT work for them, I am not affiliated with them in any way whatsoever other than the fact that I have purchased a good deal of equipment and DAW software apps & plugs from them and have never been disappointed. I have also used Music123.com & other online music e-tailers, but Sweetwater is my first choice because I have consistently received excellent customer service from them.

2) Do you think there's any merit in purchasing a small mixer with
    digital recording capability...and transferring that file to the PC
    via USB or Smart Card and editing in HS?

For broadcast applications the TASCAM US122 should suffice. If you decide to expand into music applications such as recording soundtracks for HDTV programs and/or film productions, music video editing, CD/DVD mixing and/or mastering, etc., you would definitely want to upgrade to a mixer with more capabilities. I see no reason to do so based on what your immediate needs seem to be.

3. Yep...thought that deal about "plugging in the microphone and
    then magic..." was a bit too easy. Blessed are those who expect
    nothing...they shall not be disappointed.

At least you learned something from that...

4. Actually, I've been doing voice-overs for about thirty years. I've
    been out of the broadcast side of the biz since 1984...worked for
    WDVE in Pittsburgh (ABC O&O) and KDKA as a weekend jock
    while in grad school. That being said...up 'til now...I've just stood
    in front of a mike and talked. Now...two of the studios I work for
    would like me to cut my own audio and e-mail to them.

Herein lies a bit of a problem (not insurmountable)...HS is not the ideal DAW program for audio editing. A more appropriate DAW for extensive editing apps is Adobe Audition...(Apologies to the fine folks at CW and their diehard fans)...

You mentioned exporting your audio tracks to MP3...Is that due to file size limitations of the e-mail servers you & the studios use? If so, you should consider sending them raw data files of the audio; they can then (depending on their DAW software) convert the raw data file to wav files and have no lossy-compression issues (what MP3 is)...

5. Any recommendation for reading material you could pass along would
    be appreciated.

A good place to start is TWEAKHEADZ.COM for basic info on home studio setups. Hard copy books such as THIS ONE, or THIS ONE, or THIS ONE, or THIS ONE can offer a great deal of assistance in getting your studio setup up & running.

You should also make sure your system is "tweaked" for audio apps...To learn more go to THIS SITE and follow the instructions. Your audio applications will run much more efficiently.

Glad you came through the storms ok...my son lives in Sarasota with his
    Mom...I have a feeling I'm going to be lighting a lot of candles this season.

I hope they remain safe and sound during the storm season...I will keep you (and them) in my thoughts and prayers.

If you have any more questions about your endeavors, let us know.

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    ND8L
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/13 20:17:25 (permalink)
    Papa...

Again, thanks for your help.

I spoke with Sweetwater this afternoon...my catalog's a
    couple of years old...so a new one is on the way. The
    guy I spoke with talked about ChannelStrips...but I like
    your suggestion of the outboard mixer w/USB...seems
    like there would be less chance of picking up interference
    from the computer itself. That Tascam looks good and
    the price is right.

The guy at Sweetwater had the same comments on MP3...

Since I'm not under any immediate deadlines...I'm going to
    bumble around with Cakewalk...but another voice talent
    here in town suggested the Adobe product. I think Cakewalk
    should be ok for thirty or sixty second spots...but should any
    industrial narration work come my way...Adobe would be the
    play.

Thanks for the book recommendations and web sites...

I've got lots to do and many miles to go before I sleep...

Also, thanks for your kind thoughts on my son...watching
    the Weather Channel during the summer is like driving past
    an auto accident...can't look...can't look away.

HeilSound PR40 Mike
    papa2004
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/14 00:16:20 (permalink)
    ND8L,

Glad I could be of assistance in any small way...You seem to have the "want to" that it will take to get "up to speed" with this wonderful technology...I wish you well in your learning experience!

Regards,
    Papa

Regards,
    Papa
    Syd
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 365
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/14 03:51:39 (permalink)
    On the subject of mp3 compression, there are plenty of free downloads you can use cwenc is a good one that interfaces with Cakewalk. I tend to mix to wav and then compress with another utility whose name escapes me for the moment (sorry).

It sounds like your needs may warrant a better quality compressor than mp3. I've never heard anyone talk about lossless audio compression like shn or flac on this forum - does anyone use these?

Syd.
    P.S. This is my 100th post. I feel all grown up now.

Cheers,
    Syd
    • SHS4 XL - Acer Ferrari 3000/AMD 2500+/1.2GB/60GB/Realtec AC97
    • Behringer UB1002 Mixer - MXL2001 MXL603 Mics
    • Yamaha RGZ Custom/Les Paul/Korg Ampworks
    • http://www.deepset.co.uk
    sinc
    Max Output Level: -44 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3116
    RE: Dell Inspiron 6000/Home Studio 2002 Questions 2005/06/14 08:05:02 (permalink)
    I've never heard anyone talk about lossless audio compression like shn or flac on this forum - does anyone use these?

Lots of people use shn and flac for sharing files over the web. But I think most people are interested in putting stuff on an MP3 player or posting songs on the web. SHN and FLAC files are still pretty big, too big for quick downloads. Most people are interested in posting files that can be opened quickly and easily in a web browser - thus MP3.

If you're into collaboration, sending BUN files around is probably the best way to go. All the audio in a BUN file is compressed, similar to SHN or FLAC.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1