Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses

Author
Tombo777
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 63
2010/07/11 17:07:51 (permalink)

Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses

After seeing and hearing the success (and CD sales)  my wife has had with her little Inspiron 15/M- Audio set-up I decided to give the Dell monster a whirl. I buy all my Dells (5 and counting) off the refurb outlet and never had an issue.. My studio DAW is a home built unit I hand pick all the parts from the PS to the MB. But I am not ready to build another since I need a whole need MB/processor et al to go 64bit to use Windows 7 64 and still have programs like WAVES and Toontracks that won;t run on it  so I decided I needed a new portable solution that will cover a lot of my Computing needs. The drawback was the TI FW chipset Express card which I found from RAIN and SIIG

The specs are:

i7 720QM
4GB 1333
ATI 5870 GDDR5 graphics
TWO 320 7200 drives
1440X900 display
Slot load Blue Ray RW
 BT/Wireless N /2mp camera/ facial recognition/
HDMI/USB-Sata port and more USB ports....
Windows 7 Professional (I replaced with Ultimate)
Price...... $1450 delivered in three days. (after 20% off coupon from Techbargains.)
ONE year ONSITE warranty (which I have never used in the past on any refurb)
Purchased a RAIN FW card for TI FW for my Presonus Firebox and Motif XS FW.

One year onsite warranty..

I don;t see how one can go worng with a configuration like that and the refurbs are really gone through after they are returned. I have purchased only From the Dell outlet in the past 10 years and all 3 notebooks are still running.

I just wanted a notebook that would do it all from entertaining to gaming to recording and this oine does. I still use the desktop but it is noisy with 4 fans and the only real advantage is multiple screens.

Don't let anyone tell you you need a "special" recording setup for music UNLESS you are the type to need multiple UADs  and routinely run mega tracks for every little sound recorded.  I know people who use 16 tracks up on drums alone!!
A tad obsessive if you ask me.

I rarely if ever use more than 25 tracks if that. Less is more in my book. Today's samples are so good they don't need much at all. Hell a Yamaha S910 or better yet a Tyros 3 can fool 99% of everyday listeners into not believing it all came from one keyboard.  At the end of the day the songs are listened to in MP3 format on cheap headphones or plugged up in car inputs and is most always listened to as "background" music.  IT's all about the song...People forgot that along the way and like movies it has become about the technology over story........IT's a shame really a recording like Nebrraska would be beat up mercilessly by most wannabe "home studio" producers

ASUS B150 PRO/Intel 535 Series 2.5" 480GB SSD
Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151/G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB  DDR4 SDRAM /Seagate Barracuda  2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/GeForce GTX 950/Thermaltake SMART Series  550W ATX/Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P Case

Sonar  Platnium  (User since DOS ver 1 )  
Audient id44
Yamaha Motif XS8/Tyros 4/Martin D21 
Yamaha MSP 7/Alesis Monitor One/ 
Home assembled PC  
Win 10 Home     

5 Replies Related Threads

jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    Re:Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses 2010/07/12 09:04:45 (permalink)
    i doubt it will work for firewire

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    TomBO77
    • Total Posts : 71
    Re:Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses 2010/08/07 11:16:16 (permalink)
    As usual you are correct. Terrible Idea and a "disco notebook"( Hate the lights) ..But fot the money it is.Great for Video editing, Games and USB recording.   But I am  Building another DT system for the studio to use Yamaha XS8 FW interface.  Gigabyte is the only board I know of with TI FW chipsets. Mulling over a Video card. I don't think a powerful VC will cause DPC issues on a 1366/i7 930 system. But I have been worng in the past......see above  

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P - ATI HD2600PRO 512MB DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) Sonar XP1 Producer  (User since DOS ver 1 )
    Motif XS8 mLAn FW Interface - Presonus Firebox      
    Tyros 4/Yamaha MSP 7/Alesis Monitor One/
    Martin D16 Aura/  Breedlove Atlas Solo350
      Inspiron 1501 AMD X2/ UA25EX

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re:Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses 2010/08/07 13:54:23 (permalink)
    I do a lot of support (mostly desktop) on the Dell Community users forum.  The outlet systems are some that were returned for whatever reason (the user didn't like it or it has some type of problem) and some new from order cancellations.  However, if it's one that had been returned for a problem or chronic problems it's 50/50 whether you will get one that the original problem or problems have been fixed.  If one was returned and has an "obvious" problem that will be fixed, but it was a return with an intermittent or real flakey problem they may miss that.

There is nothing on the outlet to indicate whether it's a "refurbished" or new system so you pay your money and take your chances.

Sometimes new systems that are offered "on sale" or with "free" extras are a better deal than the outlet systems.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    someGit
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6
    Re:Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses 2010/08/20 17:22:39 (permalink)
    Well I've been a certified system builder for 15 years, and am a twenty-year software developer in the aerospace industry,  my DAW-specific experience is much weaker though... But I currently use and wouldn't use much other than a good Alienware laptop... (disco lights and all, which you can turn off, of course)

The devil is in the details... and AW covers their details better than anyone else... particularly when you are getting a laptop where upgrades often come down to soldering irons and duct tape after a few years

So you get the best you can from the word go... because a laptop usually has to play numerous roles, and has to be competent at them at least...

Alienware usually uses over-spec'd components and as many tweakable components as you can get in a non-custom lappy... and though you may not use those tweaks now, things like the RAID capability and the SLI may come in quite handy in extending the usable life of the thing down-the road... I didn't let go of my last one until the duct-tape was melting, and the RAID 0 went wonky...  it could have gone years longer had I taken more care...

for a portable DAW, I use my 17x Alienware Quad Core with 8 gb and Win 7 Ult 64 with a large variety of audio interfaces  (it does Firewire beautifully, btw...)  and it competes just fine with my custom desktop DAW .. (My main gripe being ASIO setup, and onboard sound... but that's my own naivety, and hatred of vestigial onboard cards)

Like anyone here (I think) it's much nicer to have the customization options of a full-size DAW, but I have yet to be let down by anything about any of my many Alienwares over the years...

(Except that they are owned by Dell and I hate Dell ...personally ...but they seem to let AW stay true to themselves...)

If you are getting an Alien ,  just get a good one, and you'll be glad you did...

PS: Don't expect much from Alienware support...it seems that being a part of Dell hasn't done a thing to improve it...

I use mine for:

Developing (C++ / .NET / and web)
    Database
    DAW
    Web Server
    Media Server
    The newest Video Games
    Adobe Master Collection CS5
    Graphics

Often simultaneously, with only the fluffiest of optimizing... which is probably optional anyway...

They can do it, unless you're doing it wrong =D

Cheers...

/twoCents

post edited by someGit - 2010/08/20 17:35:38
    Tombo777
    • Total Posts : 63
    Re:Dell REFURB Alienware an inexpensive monster for recording......and many other uses 2010/08/20 21:46:26 (permalink)
    fireberd

I do a lot of support (mostly desktop) on the Dell Community users forum.  The outlet systems are some that were returned for whatever reason (the user didn't like it or it has some type of problem) and some new from order cancellations.  However, if it's one that had been returned for a problem or chronic problems it's 50/50 whether you will get one that the original problem or problems have been fixed.  If one was returned and has an "obvious" problem that will be fixed, but it was a return with an intermittent or real flakey problem they may miss that.

There is nothing on the outlet to indicate whether it's a "refurbished" or new system so you pay your money and take your chances.

Sometimes new systems that are offered "on sale" or with "free" extras are a better deal than the outlet systems.

WOW Didn;t expect a post that positive re the Alienware.  I decided to have a look at three brands.

MSI GX660 i7 740 500GB Rain id 0 5870 Video.......around $1600

Dell Refurb M6500 i7 840  NVdia Quadro 2800  6 GB 3 hard disk bays and one optical Refurbs are going for less than $1500 woth coupons.

Then there is the Sager 8670 which provided the easiest self maintenance, and all in the $1600 price range.

Alienware is nice but if I buy from Dell it will be the business side where they have a 3 year warranty and have US tech support. which means the M6500.

Thanks for that insightful comment.

ASUS B150 PRO/Intel 535 Series 2.5" 480GB SSD
    Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151/G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB  DDR4 SDRAM /Seagate Barracuda  2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache/GeForce GTX 950/Thermaltake SMART Series  550W ATX/Phanteks Enthoo Pro Series PH-ES614P Case

Sonar  Platnium  (User since DOS ver 1 )  
    Audient id44
    Yamaha Motif XS8/Tyros 4/Martin D21 
    Yamaha MSP 7/Alesis Monitor One/ 
    Home assembled PC  
    Win 10 Home     

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1