Dell and MOTU

Author
Farbodelic
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2007/11/27 12:17:06 (permalink)

Dell and MOTU

Hello!
I own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I'm planing to get a MOTU Ultralite firewire audio interface.

My laptop uses a Ricoh firewire chipset, does anyone here has used a MOTU with this chipset?

MOTU's interfaces work ok on Texas Instrument or Lucent FireWire chipsets.
So in case it wont work with the built in firewire, what PCMCIA card with Texas Instrument or Lucent chipset do you recommend?

Any comment will be apreciated,
Thanks!

19 Replies Related Threads

RRabbi
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 923
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 12:33:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Farbodelic

Hello!
    I own a Dell Inspiron 9300 laptop and I'm planing to get a MOTU Ultralite firewire audio interface.

My laptop uses a Ricoh firewire chipset, does anyone here has used a MOTU with this chipset?

MOTU's interfaces work ok on Texas Instrument or Lucent FireWire chipsets.
    So in case it wont work with the built in firewire, what PCMCIA card with Texas Instrument or Lucent chipset do you recommend?

Any comment will be apreciated,
    Thanks!

Works fine... I have a Dell Inspiron 9400 lappy and Motu 828 MkII. Certainly no issues like you would with the "bad" chipsets that MOTU doesn't like. I did a lot of research and asking around about it, both on Dell forums, and Unicornation.com and came to the conclusion that Ricoh is fine (from experience)...

Except, I can only get down to 5.8 ms comfortably for latency. With the MOTU on my Toshiba lappy (TI chipset) I could get down to 2.9 ms comfortably. That is the only known drawback for me. So yeah, I think it's 256 for the sample buffer I use... .

This only really applies to using softsynths and FX plugins in real time too... If you are just asking about general "performance" or compatibility, then the Ricoh chipset is fine. No clicks, pops, artifacts, etc, that you might see in an NEC chipset...

I even tried buying a Belkin Firewire ExpressCard (TI Chipset) to bypass the Ricoh altogether.... DID NOT WORK AT ALL... no-one seemed to know what the problem was, either Belkin, Dell or MOTU.... so I just settled for the Ricoh...

PS. I even tried two different Belkin ExpressCard's... the one that has both Firewire 800 and 500 (TI) and the one that just has Firewire 400 (TI as well)...

Go for it, dude...

Dave
    post edited by RRabbi - 2007/11/28 00:15:47

David Yanofsky
    Green Room East - Moncton, NB - CANADA

http://www.greenroomeast.com
    http://www.myspace.com/greenroomeast
    jcschild
    Max Output Level: -41 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3409
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 13:31:31 (permalink)
    Except, I can only get down to 5.9 ms comfortably for latency. With the MOTU on my Toshiba lappy (TI chipset) I could get down to 2.9 ms comfortably. That is the only known drawback for me. So yeah, I think it's either 128 or 192 for the sample buffer I use... just use whatever one lets you get to 5.9 ms, and you should be ok.

thats a serious issue to me.
    and you must be doing lite duty on that laptop as well. we have yet to get below 512 buffer with a ricoh chipset and a decent hitting project.

to the OP

NO Dell with ricoh sucks.

Scott
    ADK
    Home of the Kentucky Fried DAW!
    RRabbi
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 15:37:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jcschild

Except, I can only get down to 5.9 ms comfortably for latency. With the MOTU on my Toshiba lappy (TI chipset) I could get down to 2.9 ms comfortably. That is the only known drawback for me. So yeah, I think it's either 128 or 192 for the sample buffer I use... just use whatever one lets you get to 5.9 ms, and you should be ok.

thats a serious issue to me.
    and you must be doing lite duty on that laptop as well. we have yet to get below 512 buffer with a ricoh chipset and a decent hitting project.

to the OP

NO Dell with ricoh sucks.

I disagree, but ok...
    post edited by RRabbi - 2007/11/27 16:23:36

David Yanofsky

jcschild
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 21:07:56 (permalink)
    HI,
    then run our sonar test and tell me you can get past 512 (clean no pops click or artifacts)
    http://www.adkproaudio.com/downloads.cfm
    (bottom test)

unless of course low latency is not a big issue for you, which you basically stated.
    for those who need low latency Dell or 99% of laptops on the market have ricoh chipset which does not work very well.

Scott
    ADK
    Farbodelic
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 21:52:13 (permalink)
    Thank you very much for your comments!
    I really apreciate them RRabi and jcschild! =D
    I am actually using a tascam us-122... yes, truely a toy, I know!
    Looking for a good interface that will bring me LOW latency... because I run lot of virtual instruments and audio plugins on Cubase.
    Is there too much difference between 2.9 and 5.9?
    The issue with my firewire chipset will also affect M-AUDIO's 410 and similar?
    Im really looking for low-latency on vsti's and plugins.
    Wich other interface you recommend me?
    Thank u very much!
    RRabbi
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/27 23:44:57 (permalink)

HI,
    then run our sonar test and tell me you can get past 512 (clean no pops click or artifacts)
    http://www.adkproaudio.com/downloads.cfm
    (bottom test)

unless of course low latency is not a big issue for you, which you basically stated.
    for those who need low latency Dell or 99% of laptops on the market have ricoh chipset which does not work very well.

Ok... as I suspected any sample buffer lower than 256 (i.e. 192, 128... which gives 4.4ms and 2.9ms latency) I got the typically loooong beeps while the audio drops out. This happens at those settings no matter what project i'm running...

I played your file, as is... at 256 (5.8 ms latency), played fine. No pops, long beeps... nothing. CPU useage peeked at 41% I think... I let it loop a bunch of times too...

What was it supposed to do again?

PS: I never said low latency wasn't an issue... I need low latency for tracking softsynths, keys, guitars thru ampsims, etc... All I said is I couldn't go as low as 2.9 ms with the Dell lappy... I could get as low as 5.8, which is still pretty farkin low, wouldn't you agree?

My lappy is Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz, with 2 gig of ram. And 7200 RPM internal HD. Running SONAR on a boot partition of XP Home that is tweaked for audio.

Dave
    post edited by RRabbi - 2007/11/28 00:16:05

David Yanofsky

Farbodelic
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/28 00:21:34 (permalink)
    Yes that's a very good system tweaked for audio!
    Thanks a lot for the information.

My actual tascam us-122 says "input latency: 7.0 ms and output latency: 21.7 ms"
    is the MOTU giving me better latency for vsti's and plugins?

any other interfaces recommended?

Thanks!
    RRabbi
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2007/11/28 06:08:53 (permalink)

My actual tascam us-122 says "input latency: 7.0 ms and output latency: 21.7 ms"

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but it seems that most ASIO or WDM audio interfaces should give you about the same latency... I think whether or not your software can handle that depends alot on your computer (CPU, and maybe even the firewire chipset, etc...) and also how many tracks you are running and stuff... I would think with most newer PC's you wouldn't have a problem but all you can do is try...

Dave

David Yanofsky

losguy
    Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5506
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 16:27:52 (permalink)
    Thought I'd revive this thread in case anyone's watching

This topic's interesting to me because I have two Dell laptops, an Inspiron 9300 (P5M) and another Inspiron (Core2 Duo). Both were bought originally for non-audio business-related work, but I've been thinking lately that it would be nice to be able to reclaim *some* double-duty out of them. (As some of you around here may know, the losguy is big on reclaiming things. )

It would be mainly for live performance, running a handful of synths and plugs, and possibly a little live recording, but not many tracks, maybe 1 or 2 stereo pairs at once. So, other than sampling on the synths, it wouldn't be too drive-heavy (these samplers would probably load to / run from RAM anyway). An interface with built-in DSP (routing and FX) would allow me to get by without the need for live input echo.

I'm wondering if there's an interface (FW, PC Card, or USB) that would give me some basic usability with either of these laptops? If it can give me a real latency of 5.8 msec or less, then it should be OK. (Remember... no need here for input echo with built-in FX... thinking along the lines of Saffire or TC Konnekt, or something else USB / PC Card?)

Psalm 30:12
    All pure waves converge at the Origin
    losguy
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 16:32:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RRabbi
    I even tried buying a Belkin Firewire ExpressCard (TI Chipset) to bypass the Ricoh altogether.... DID NOT WORK AT ALL... no-one seemed to know what the problem was, either Belkin, Dell or MOTU.... so I just settled for the Ricoh...

PS. I even tried two different Belkin ExpressCard's... the one that has both Firewire 800 and 500 (TI) and the one that just has Firewire 400 (TI as well)...

I seem to recall Scott@ADK saying that the Ricoh chipsets are goofed up in their implementation of the PC Card interface for real-time use. That's unfortunate, if nothing else because of the number of laptops out there with these.

jcschild
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 17:10:03 (permalink)
    USB seems fairly ok with the Ricoh.
    Konnect is a no go with Sonar.

blessings to you brother!

Scott
    ADK
    losguy
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 17:16:12 (permalink)
    Very good. Thanks for chiming in, Scott!

I know I've heard bad tales about USB and latency. (Something about it using extra safety buffers because it's more "asynchronous" than Firewire, and it has to take up slack somehow.) Anyway, Im wondering if in your testing you ran across any that had better latency than others? (Maybe with built-in FX/routing too?)

(And blessings to you too, my fellow aspiring son.)

jcschild
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 17:40:28 (permalink)
    Hey Los,

to be honest i tend to shun USB (yeah i know i need to get over myself nad quite being so stuck up)
    but as a "got to have the best performance" guy i am not fond of them.

the edirol units are USB2 however i found their drivers seriously lacking.
    been some time now since i played with a usb interface.

Scott
    ADK
    losguy
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/05 17:54:03 (permalink)
    Fair enough. I figure that I'll probably just need to take a shot with one, and just be ready to return it if it's a dog for latency.

MarlboroMan23
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 776
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/02/06 17:20:38 (permalink)
    I'm pretty sure the guy who travels around doing the Sonar demos used a Edirol SPS-25 USB audio and MIDI interface. Said he like it a lot.

most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people.
    http://www.soundclick.com/opaquesounds
    cryptexmarble
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 289
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/10/02 21:20:42 (permalink)
    I have checked my system Laptop DELL Inspiron 1520 Intel CoreDuo2 Ghz , 2x 2GB Ram, RICOH FW chipset for two nights with different Songs and settings while using a MOTU Ultralite to hear my Studies.
    After i have had to read many ,many issues with Rme People and cheap Computers, i decided to give it a thought or two...
    I run the Sonar (test) Song "Room for clarity" with 128 Samples Audio buffer (2,9Ms!!!!) and the WDM driver, while the Cpu's cores are peaking at 68%. No distortion no glitches. I can move and scroll like a &/*()=er and it just runs very nice and smooth.......
    Another test Song (FullOn Trance) containig about 70 tracks of 44Khz audio going 32Bit float while been rendered at 64Bit, will run smooth on 512 Samples (11 Ms) and 89% CPU usage ,which is compared to my last setup with a Rme HDSP9652 card and ADI 2 converter (13,? MS) much better. THANK YOU MOTU! I also recommend using Vista for the latest drivers.
    AND what is VERY ,VERY important is to use a tool such as TuneUp Utilities 2008 ,which solves many problems of (unordered) Pcs!!!!!!!!!! It REALY makes a difference when the earlier mentioned software is applied to your system.
    I DO NOT understand why People actualy recommend XP for audio -------- they must be a little old fashioned.
    So my conclusion for the FW chipset is that RICOH works very fine ,even under very low latencys on a Dell Inspiron1520.
    Have Fun!
    cryptexmarble
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/10/02 21:26:46 (permalink)
    GET A MOTU INTERFACE! They are the Masters of Firewire audio transfering technology. I had the TC Konekt 24 and had 3 Ms more latency then with the Motu Ultralite.
    cryptexmarble
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/10/02 21:29:43 (permalink)
    Get a MOTU Interface ,because they have the Best firewire drivers and technology! And why does it sound so good???????

Thanks!

Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    RE: Dell and MOTU 2008/10/05 12:22:10 (permalink)

..... (yeah i know i need to get over myself nad quite being so stuck up)

Don't you dare ever!!!
    We desperately need you being as picky as you are!

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1