Demo/Trial Version of Dimension Pro? Demo songs?

Author
MeteoXavier
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2015/03/06 19:23:16 (permalink)

Demo/Trial Version of Dimension Pro? Demo songs?

Hi there. I've recently been interested in Dimension Pro as I've seen it come up in some recommendations for the direction I'm going in, but I've been hard pressed to find a way to actually HEAR what it really sounds like without buying the full thing. I see it's on sale right now and I've been a VERY happy customer with z3ta+ for years, but I still don't buy any music item without having a very good idea what it sounds like. Only thing I've found so far are a couple Youtube videos with Dimension Pro-only songs in them. Not bad, but still does not give me much of an idea what to expect.

So is there a demo/trial version of the program or some demo songs I'm missing somewhere?

Thank you.

3 Replies Related Threads

RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Demo/Trial Version of Dimension Pro? Demo songs? 2015/03/06 20:43:16 (permalink)
    There is no demo as such that I am aware of.
    Dimension LE is included with most versions of Sonar, and that should give you a basic feel for DimPro.
    You can manipulate the sounds, so it would be difficult to really say what DimPro sounds like.
    For instance, in my Khyber Pass9 song, I wanted a shaken tambourine.
    The tambourine in DimPro was more of a hit sound, so I adjusted the ADSR envelope for a softer attack to get what I was after.
    This was simple, but you can get much more complex.
    The hammered dulcimer is unchanged, straight from DimPro.
    The libraries that come with it are fairly large, plus Cakewalk has additional libraries.
    I don't use it all the time, but it is a staple in my studio.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    czyky
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 193
    Re: Demo/Trial Version of Dimension Pro? Demo songs? 2015/03/07 00:39:14 (permalink)
    If you can find it, there is an audio file "taboo style" (taboo_style.mp3) by René Ceballos (the "godfather" of Dimension Pro, Rapture AND Z3ta+) floating around the net. Fortunately/unfortunately, sketchy music file torrent sites scooped the file up when cakewalk.com used to host it (thinking it was a "real" music file) and they (sketchy sites) continue to host it. It was listening to this file (taboo_style) that originally convinced me to buy Dimension Pro, as mentioned in http://forum.cakewalk.com/Here39s-an-example-sonar-project-for-the-community-m1914898.aspx By the way, the music file mentioned in this link (counterTheme) has about 40 synth tracks in it, about half of which are Dimension Pro (the other half are Dim Pro's big sister, Rapture), so it's not exactly a Dim Pro demo, just sort of.

There are also a bunch of expansion packs for Dim Pro, both by cakewalk and third parties. It IS a shame that cakewalk no longer hosts any demo songs that use Dimension Pro exclusively. What sort of "direction" are you going in anyway? If you can say, maybe folks here will be able to offer some recommends.

"I can't think of a single example of where a big company buying a small company has ultimately been good for consumers." --bitflipper
    www.reverbnation.com/markadamczyk
    www.adamczyk.com
    MeteoXavier
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Demo/Trial Version of Dimension Pro? Demo songs? 2015/03/07 15:49:34 (permalink)
    LONG STORY AHEAD:
    As best I can articulate, I'd been interested in trying to be able to make songs through hardware MIDI ROMPLERS like PS1/N64 and old 90s anime soundtracks used to do. I'd never worked with any hardware before (I expected I'd do music 100% through software forever) but this year I felt like I wanted to experiment with it.

So I bought a Roland SK-88, which is the keyboard version of the Sound Canvas 88 Pro. I was able to get it to render MIDIs and be able to compose with it, but then I ran into the problem of how to get it back into the computer to mix and found I'd have to stem it out one channel at a time. I thought by now there might be some magic solution to not have to do that, but that I blame on my hardware naivete. :P

I'll still compose songs with my SK-88 Pro, but I figured if ever I got a gig where I needed that 90s digital sound on a deadline, I'd have to start looking at software again to make it go quicker (and I might already have that lined up). I'd been looking at software GM romplers for years and while I don't consider myself a sound snob, I really can hear the downgraded quality of a software GM. To be more specific, I want that high-end, airy, "sparkle" sound that you get out of a Roland JD-990 or a Roland JV-880 and most software romplers simply don't have it. The only one I've heard of so far that seems to do it is the Korg M1 Legacy VST.

And that's what brings me here - I've read that the Dimension Pro is pretty close to that, so I wanted to try it out and see if it fits what I'm looking for. I figure that or the Korg M1 could be my best bet, but I can't find much of any demos in songs or programs to check it out with.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1