Designing cinematic drums part 4

Author
Chandler
Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 477
2016/11/12 11:02:41 (permalink)

Designing cinematic drums part 4

This is the last video in my series on designing cinematic style drums. In this one I talk about loading the sounds into a sampler and the different ways you can do that. I'd like to thank Jeff Evans for his suggestions for the series. He gave me some really good ideas, that I'm sure I didn't follow as well as I should have, but I think they helped make the videos better for people. I hope some of your got something out of these videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8cSlVZ2KbI

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
My Youtube page

4 Replies Related Threads

Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 4 2016/11/14 16:44:39 (permalink)
    Thanks for posting this Chandler. Awesome series. Very nice job, very useful.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Chandler
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 4 2016/11/15 20:51:36 (permalink)
    Brando
    Thanks for posting this Chandler. Awesome series. Very nice job, very useful.

Thanks. I'm glad you got something out of it.

My Youtube page
    Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 4 2016/11/16 17:26:30 (permalink)
    Thanks for your kind comments.  And for me I have enjoyed watching these videos a lot.  They got me thinking getting back to synth basics and how good a drum sound you can make with some good synth programming.

This last video concludes with things very well.  I like the way you have taken it into the sampling world.  I want to add a few things.  For me I quite like being able to edit each midi instances present while they are feeding into a group of virtual synths.  (or in my case a group of hardware samplers. Or both)  I find shifting the timing around with each midi track of each note can add a lot of realism right there.  The same sort of realism you get when you overdub say 10 live tracks all playing the same part.  The beats gets a little wider.

I like the interesting grooves where the velocities are creating strong alternate patterns.  This adds a lot of interest for me.  It is important to get a wide range of velocities going at times but there is room for precise ramp ups, downs etc.

By the time I am sampling I like to sample much longer lengths of time not so much a single hit. 4 bars for example.  Studio One time stretches these things too once they are recorded so you can set to new tempos easily.  These longer lengths of time eg 4 bar phrases can be cut and manipulated in many ways totally changing what you hear.  A four bar phrase could be cut into 4 or even 8 easily.  Then each sub section re-ordered either creatively or randomly.  Sub sections can be repeated or even dropped out.  When you are doing this sort of editing it is wise to add the drum reverbs later.  Edit the dry loops.  The later added reverb covers up a multitude of weird edits.

With round robins if you have say 8 samples the same sounds will start in the same place in the 4/4 bar.  By making the number in the round robin stack uneven eg 7 or 9 or 11, 13, 15, etc these samples are now moving rhythmically throughout the bar and take a long time before they restart in the same place.

Presonus Studio One has Impact already built in and has the round robin feature as well making all this very easy to setup.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Re: Designing cinematic drums part 4 2016/11/19 18:16:29 (permalink)
    Thanks for the ideas. I haven't tried doing much beat chopping, but I think I'll try to experiment with it in the future. I hadn't thought of using an odd number of round robins, but that does make sense.

My Youtube page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1