Designing your own Studio......

Author
davestoy
Max Output Level: -82 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 419
2005/09/23 12:30:03 (permalink)

Designing your own Studio......

...when you only have a little space to do it in. How would you go about designing your studio if all you had to work with was a squsre room of about 20 x 30 dimensions? How would you partition it? How many?
Any help would be appreciated!

S8PE
WinXP SP3
P4 2.66 Dual Core Asus P5LD2
3 GB Ram
Radeon X300/X550 series dual video card
RME Multiface II
Mackie Onyx 800R Mic PreAmp
2 internal Glyph Seagate (80GB & 200gb)
1 external Maxtor 120GB HD (for backup)
Dynaudio BM5A

13 Replies Related Threads

ohhey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11676
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/23 12:56:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: davestoy

...when you only have a little space to do it in. How would you go about designing your studio if all you had to work with was a squsre room of about 20 x 30 dimensions? How would you partition it? How many?

It just depends on what type of band you plan to record and how the tracking will be done. For example if you do full bands with drums and amps in one take you might need a lot of isolation booths. But if you tend to build songs in parts with lots of overdubs you might only need one. If you like to record everything in one shot you might not need any and just let things bleed natural like. In that case making one big room sound good is more important then making a bunch of bad sounding booths. This often works well for private studios where the number of takes is not costing anything. However if you hire out your customers might want to have some level of isolation for some things. Fold up portable gobos are also an option so you can re-configure for each client.
    post edited by ohhey - 2005/09/23 13:05:19
    Kegerator
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 353
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/23 13:32:54 (permalink)
    A lot of good info here

link

Beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problem's

krizrox
    Max Output Level: -35 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4046
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/23 15:39:59 (permalink)
    That's pretty close to what I have so here's how I did it...

kept it simple
    no iso booths - one big open room
    used a lot of Auralex to dry out the room
    movable baffles to I can "configure" the room on the fly - I do many different styles of music here (by design), so adaptability was my main goal
    not the perfect mixing environment but a pretty decent tracking room - you'll have to make a decision whether this is going to be a great mixing room or a great tracking room. Don't make it mediocre for both. Choose one or the other and make it "great" or as good as possible given your budget

beyond that your goals and needs should dictate which way to go. Will you be commercial or is this just a hobby for yourself?

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com
    www.myspace.com/lnlrecording

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    nbnspire
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/23 16:28:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: davestoy

That's roughly what I have (mine is about 18 x 30), here is my floorplan. Works very well for isolation and still provides enough space to be comfortable. Heat and air is the hardest thing I have to deal with.

You can also see some actual pics at Nspire studio site

Nelson Benton
    www.nspirestudio.com
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/23 21:32:30 (permalink)
    First thing is to write down what you want to accomplish with the studio, who you want to record and how you plan to do it. Here is the link to the statement that I put together for my studio . You can click on the drawings and see how I got to where I was going. BTW, all the drawing can be enlarged after they load. It takes a few seconds. Let your mouse hover over the lower right hand corner until the size button appears.

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/cmodiset/webpage/Studio/Construction/Construction.html

My first studio devoted most of the room to a separate recording space to accomodate 4 musicians. This left me with a small mix space. Bad decision. Since most of the time I was working with one musician or just myself, I spent most of my time in a glorified walk in closet looking through a window a empty roomy space. This time I turned it around. Knowing that I'd be working alone or with one soloist, I made a small space for drums and isolation. Other musicians running direct can sit in the room with me. It lends for great communication. If we want to lay down guitar tracks via amps, we can do that as an overdub.

Check out my studio pics.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2005/09/23 21:42:10

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    davestoy
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/24 07:50:06 (permalink)
    Ohey, Mod, kegerator, krizrox, nbnspire---thanks for your input! Right now, I plan on building a garage behind the house of about 30x30 or 30x40 dimensions. You have started me off with a lot of information, especially the links to the other sites where I could see the visuals of the rooms. This will make my design a bit easier.
    I am leaning toward one big room with maybe a seperate booth for the desk/console area.

Thanks guys!

David

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/24 10:34:11 (permalink)
    I am leaning toward one big room with maybe a seperate booth for the desk/console area.
    I think you are making a mistake here. The room in which you have to make your most critical decision will be compromised sonically. The only way to deal with sound bouncing off walls and back to your mix position is to either take them out of the picture by making them sonically dead or moving them farther away which will allow the brain to detect the delay between the initial reponse and the reverb from the wall. Sitting in a dead room sucks IMHO and is not the environment that it will be listened in unless you're in the car.

Are you planning on recording mostly full bands at one time? If not, don't fall into the temptation of designing your room to look like a mini version of the big studios. IMHO, it only compromises things to the point that they don't give you the benefit you wanted. It looks good on paper and you get a certain amount of satisfaction that it looks good but it won't sound like a big studio with vaulted ceilings. A larger mix space with Gobos and room for musicians and a smaller iso/drum booth is very versatile.
    post edited by Mod Bod - 2005/09/24 10:42:03

My music.
    krizrox
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/24 10:55:43 (permalink)
    Umm - very interesting post and comments. Very cool room designs and observations. Everything has merit.

From the perspective of someone who's worked in many different sized rooms and room layouts.....

the reason why I chose to go the route I did (one big room with modular baffles) was based on the following:

* An average-sized room divided up into smaller iso booths is great from the standpoint of isolation (obviously) but not so great from the standpoint that it's just not such a great place to spend a whole lot of time in - for both the client and the engineer. I will tell you from my own perspective that after a few hours, that claustrophobic feeling can drive you nuts. To the point where I think it actually becomes a distraction. You can sit in an iso booth only so long before you feel your skin crawling and wanting to get the heck out of there. Clients should be clamoring to get "into" a studio. Not out of it Anyway, this is a very personal subjective thing and everyone os going to have a different perspective on it. By the way - cooling and ventilation become a big issue if you go this route. Small rooms get real stuffy without ventilation. And if not installed properly, ventilation can actually destroy the iso "effect".

* As a paying client myself, I never liked being separated from the other members of the band (to the point where I couldn't even see them). There's a lot to be said for body language when a band is all together in the same room performing. That's how they naturally work. It's not normal to separate them and can create a sort of disorientation or confusion. Again, a subjective call really.

* Creative baffling provides enough isolation while at the same time, promoting the feeling of being all together in the same room making eye contact and being able to communicate directly with each other.

* Headphones are a great thing and I like working with them. Many people don't.

* I admit the drums are the biggest issue. I've contemplated making a single iso booth just for the drums here. Maybe someday I will. Sort of a "hybrid" approach. Maybe that is a good tradeoff. Have at least one iso booth for the drums.

Anyway - keep the ideas flowing. Good stuff.

PS - also check out the Alton Everest books they have good ideas. Auralex and other companies can provide sample layouts. EQ magazine had a good article on this same thing a few issues ago. They took an average sized room and had a number of companies provide possible layouts. It was an interesting read. Everyone had a different spin on it. I had a printout of an internet story I found a long time ago about building a studio in a garage. Will try to find it and possibly the original URL. It was funny and interesting.

http://www.stereosociety.com/body_recordingstudio.html
    http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_war/episode/0,1806,HGTV_3902_11872,00.html
    http://www.ibiblio.org/studioforrecording/cottage.html
    http://www.johnlsayers.com/Pages/Studios.htm
    http://www.airo.co.uk/garage.htm
    http://arts.ucsc.edu/EMS/Music/tech_background/TE-14/teces_14.html
    http://www.alexandermagazine.com/recordingeq/weeklytip/05tip06-3ba.asp
    http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_building_system_equipping/
    http://virtualturntable.org/archives/000075.php

http://members.aol.com/magaz15522/studioarticle1.html
    (this is the article I was talking about - great story)

post edited by krizrox - 2005/09/24 12:52:39

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

Sonar PE 8.5, Samplitude Pro 11, Sonic Core Scope Professional/XTC, A16 Ultra AD/DA, Intel DG965RY MOBO, Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz processor, XFX GeForce 7300 GT PCIe video card, Barracuda 750 & 320GB SATA drives, 4GB DDR Ram, Plextor DVD/CD-R burner.
    bpclark
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 275
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/24 13:59:08 (permalink)
    Here's my studio floor plan.

The original garage space was 16 x 24. The control room is a very comfortable size for mixing. The live room is a little tight, but it is big enough for a drumset and one or two other people. I also recommend having the closet. Mine can double as a booth (when it's done) but mainly it's good way get extra stuff out of the way.

--Brett
    Dave Modisette
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/24 22:47:24 (permalink)
    I also recommend having the closet. Mine can double as a booth (when it's done) but mainly it's good way get extra stuff out of the way.
    Yes, storage space should be a part of the plan. I like your layout.

Another thing to think about is what do you do with the space if you plan to move out? You will have to convince the buyer that it can be usefull or plan on demolition.

My music.
    davestoy
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/25 06:29:30 (permalink)
    Mod, the one room I refer to is for the recording processes. I don't do a lot of full bands, however on some occasions I do, but mostly smaller sessions with multiple takes. So, the room I want is to house an area for the resording to go on in, like the instruments, vocals, etc. I may consider doing a smaller iso booth just for the vocals, but mainly everything will be tracked in the one room. Hope this makes sense.

S8PE
    WinXP SP3
    3 GB Ram
    RME Multiface II
    Dynaudio BM5A
    krizrox
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/26 07:43:40 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mod Bod

Another thing to think about is what do you do with the space if you plan to move out? You will have to convince the buyer that it can be usefull or plan on demolition.

Oh man don't even get me started. I've had to demolish a homemade studio before. I can tell you right here and now it is not a fun job. That was another big reason why I decided to go modular with my latest endeavor. Almost nothing in my studio is permanent. Everything was designed to be removed and moved easily. If I have to jam, I can do it in about a half a day and you'd never know a studio had been here.

Larry Kriz
    www.LnLRecording.com

codashome
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Designing your own Studio...... 2005/09/29 08:27:13 (permalink)
    David, definitely take Larry's advice about the Alton Everestt books. They are goldmine of information. Since you are building from scratch, you can design a space that takes advantage of theoreticaly perfect demensions. This will help avoid a lot of pitfalls in terms of room modes, eraly reflections, etc. Lucky bastard...mutter, mutter...fresh slate...lucky bastard... No reason you can't do a One World studios approach and track everything in the same space you have your desk. You can build a lot of gobos for what it would cost to build a couple of iso booths. To me, iso booths seem like they are only necessary if you want to overdub something like a vocal and an electric guitar at once. If it's just you and a soloist, put up a three-sided gobo. They make very effective barriers without entirely killing the natural ambience of the room.

As has been mentioned, pay attention to the small details like storage and HVAC. And since this will be a detached building, also make sure you have at least a half bath. BTW, are you putting a garage door on this building, or just framing it for one for the next owner?
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1