Dim Pro - First impressions

Author
madratter
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 523
2006/08/02 10:10:21 (permalink)

Dim Pro - First impressions

Well after I got my latency problem solved, I sat down and played with it again last night. Overall, I'm very impressed with the quality of the sounds. I love some of the dimensions and the pads. Also, the expansion pack has some outrageously good patches in it. I did notice that the volume of the sounds in the expansion pack tends to be higher (which I like - wish the regular patches were at that level). I also really like some of the real instruments like the flute.

If I had to pick one set of real instruments that was disappointing, it would be the pianos. I was hoping to get something better than the Yamaha P60 that I have (which I have always really liked for its sound). For most purposes, I still prefer the Yamaha Piano.

Anyone out there got some tweaks of the piano that sound better than the presets?

I got excited when I saw they had a DW8000 electric piano sound in the presets. I was hoping it was the DW8000 patch 22 which I have always loved. Unfortunately, it was patch 21. I was comparing the DW8000 original against the dimension Pro version and it gets reasonably close although it isn't quite bang on. Not bad at all for a patch that uses so little memory (pretty much zero actually - it just uses a wave).

Anyway, overall I would have to say this is one very usable synth and a definite thumbs up.

3 Replies Related Threads

Max Output Level: -25.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4951
    RE: Dim Pro - First impressions 2006/08/02 13:49:30 (permalink)
    have you tried the expansion pack?
    jeff
    madratter
    RE: Dim Pro - First impressions 2006/08/03 09:02:22 (permalink)
    Yes I did and overall, I think the patches in it are very high quality - more so even that the original presets.
    madratter
    RE: Dim Pro - First impressions 2006/08/03 17:36:53 (permalink)
    I already posted this in the Song Forum but it is relevant here too. I put together this song using some of the Dimension Pro Patches, primarily one of the Pianos.

It is an improv - no click track, no edited out bad notes, no quantize, one take. I did clone the resultant midi track and did some layering with it. I also faded the very end and through in some light reverb.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=4268724&q=hi

If you don't like Windham Hill, George Winston like stuff, you probably won't like this either. But quiet stuff like this is a very tough test of a synth. And I think Dim Pro did pretty well with it.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1