Dim Pro "Special Offer"

Author
dpollock
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 46
2006/06/24 12:10:46 (permalink)

Dim Pro "Special Offer"

I assume everyone here got the email from Cakewalk about a special offer of Dimension Pro for $249. Now I know that direct sales usually cost more than from a reseller (not sure why that is, but it is). Then I found Dim Pro elsewhere, from legit sources, for even less than this special offer price. Being a long-time Cakewalk customer, this makes me feel rather disappointed in the company for seemingly trying to take advantage of regular customers. Just wanted them to know.

17 Replies Related Threads

naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 13:07:06 (permalink)
    I got mine for 99 euro's from Cake.

pjl
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 796
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 13:08:34 (permalink)
    It wouldn't be a smart strategy for a wholesaler (or manufacturer) to sell to retail customers and undercut the independent retail stores.

Celebrate reason, sleep in on Sundays
    puffer
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 836
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 13:36:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dpollock

I assume everyone here got the email from Cakewalk about a special offer of Dimension Pro for $249. Now I know that direct sales usually cost more than from a reseller (not sure why that is, but it is). Then I found Dim Pro elsewhere, from legit sources, for even less than this special offer price. Being a long-time Cakewalk customer, this makes me feel rather disappointed in the company for seemingly trying to take advantage of regular customers. Just wanted them to know.

Indeed, what pjl said. Cake has distribution agreements with distributors and retailers that get their product into far more hands then an online storefront ever will - musicians like going to music stores, (which may or may not explain Guitar Center). If they constantly undercut their distributors sooner or later the distributor would stop carrying them.

Think of it this way. You purchase directly from Cake for the reduced price (tho it maybe $20 bucks cheaper somewhere else online), the money directly funds Cake's operations, without the middleman taking a cut, and directly results in better software.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    dpollock
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 14:07:22 (permalink)
    OK, I get the undercutting retailers deal. But why send out an email making everyone think they are making this special offer to a good customer when, as I said, any joe-blow, first-time user can buy it elsewhere cheaper? That just turns me off.

Naughtyhill, would sure like to know how you got the price of 99 euros. I don't get that when I check out online. You must have several Cakewalk products. I have just Sonar 5 PE.

Puffer, do you pay for everything with that theory? I guess you have more money than I do.
    naughtyhill
    Max Output Level: -70 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1037
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 14:36:04 (permalink)
    The 99 euro offer was a special for Project 5 owners.

puffer
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 16:00:59 (permalink)
    Let it be said, if I had the money this is certainly how I would expand my Cake toys/tools. At present I'm a little too tight to even aquire Rapture at some online retailer. I would rather give my money directly to Cake, but since I got no money to give save for what I need to upgrade, the issue is rather academic.

Sir, I certainly didn't mean to sound as if I was chastising you. I meant that in the spirit of good fun. No harm, no foul. (I've got to get over this aversion to emoticons .) Of course you should do whatever makes the most sense for you financially. However, I don't see how it makes sense to get annoyed with Cake for the vagaries of the retail market.

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    dpollock
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 16:46:27 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: naughtyhill

The 99 euro offer was a special for Project 5 owners.

Well that doesn't make me feel better since Sonar 5PE costs more than Project 5.
    dpollock
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/24 16:57:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: puffer

Let it be said, if I had the money this is certainly how I would expand my Cake toys/tools. At present I'm a little too tight to even aquire Rapture at some online retailer. I would rather give my money directly to Cake, but since I got no money to give save for what I need to upgrade, the issue is rather academic.

Sir, I certainly didn't mean to sound as if I was chastising you. I meant that in the spirit of good fun. No harm, no foul. (I've got to get over this aversion to emoticons .) Of course you should do whatever makes the most sense for you financially. However, I don't see how it makes sense to get annoyed with Cake for the vagaries of the retail market.

OK, I don't plan to hunt you down and beat you up! But to continue this academic argument, you haven't really satisfied me regarding my earlier position. That is, it does not exactly engender a warm feeling toward the company when I realize this "special offer" can be bettered in the marketplace by FIRST TIME BUYERS! Not that it matters, but I've been a Cakewalk user since it was nothing but Cakewalk--DOS based as best I can remember. And in the company's show of appreciation, they are letting me buy a new product at more than what new customers can. I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sit right with me. I suppose the alternative would be not to make the offer at all if it isn't going to be a genuine deal.

On the other hand, I tend to not see the world like everyone else....
    AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 00:34:15 (permalink)
    For the P5 offer, it should be noted that the $99 upgraded Dimension to Dim pro - you already bought the earlier one.

As far as Cake and its deals - I have found it cheaper to buy from Cake than what I thought I could pick up at the store. I don't tend to go down to GC as much as I once did, and all the prices on the software boxes make my eyes hurt. I do pay some attention to the on-line retailer when they send me their specials, but Cake's deals are usually good (if not great) in comparision. that is when I've upgraded.

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    Sen
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 09:29:22 (permalink)
    Just a few days back, I bought P5 and DimPro directly from Cakewalk, for which they charged USD 298.00(USD 199 + USD 99). I don't think we get p5 and DPro at this price elsewhere!!

Kishore Sen

“A good composer does not imitate, he steals”. Stravinsky

http://www.soundclick.com/kishoresen
    http://www.soundclick.com/sensation
    http://www.myspace.com/kishoresen

dpollock
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 11:05:24 (permalink)
    Well, AT and Sen, I'm glad you get good deals from Cakewalk. Why don't I? Sen, was that an upgrade to P5?

No one has yet changed my mind. The "special offer" was an insult.
    Genghis
    • Total Posts : 827
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 13:11:48 (permalink)
    Most of the people who are getting the good special deals are getting the P5 to Dim Pro special pricing, which is more or less based around their upgrade offer from the P5 Dimension to the full Dimension Pro. I think some may have went for the P5 crossgrade for SONAR customers, then jumped on Dim PRo. (I was thinking about that one myself, but I'm on a tighter budget the past few months, so I had to pass.)

I completely understand what you are talking about; I think I'm in the same boat as you... as a long-time user of Cakewalk Pro Audio and then SONAR, I think it would be nice if Cake offered some special pricing for those of us who have no use for P5. Come to think of it, I have just about every synth that René put out before he teamed up with Cakewalk, and I got in on the early beta-tester pricing on both Pentagon I and z3ta+. I was happy when he teamed up with them, but it seems like I almost have to go the P5 route to get into anything new he does (and get any special deals).

Even then, I understand that if a company wants to stay in the retail chains and be competitive, there are a different set of rules and ethics that they need to stick to than a company who sells downloadable software only through the web. If they want to have their boxes of software on the shelf at every Guitar Center right next to NI and all the rest, they simply can't offer deals that are too "special" for too broad of a customer base. While it would be nice to get a break, I can accept it for what it is.

They call 'em fingers, but I've never seen 'em fing. 
    My Music is Here
    Studio Cat DAW
    Sen
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 699
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 13:15:44 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dpollock

Well, AT and Sen, I'm glad you get good deals from Cakewalk. Why don't I? Sen, was that an upgrade to P5?

No one has yet changed my mind. The "special offer" was an insult.

USD 199 for P5 was a special offer to the people who downloaded the trial version of P5 a month back. After availing the same, you become a owner of P5 and , therefore, you become entitled to the upgradation to Dimension Pro at USD 99. z3ta is not included in this offer, though. Still, thanks to Cakewalk, this is a very lucrative offer.

Kishore Sen

“A good composer does not imitate, he steals”. Stravinsky

http://www.soundclick.com/kishoresen
    http://www.soundclick.com/sensation
    http://www.myspace.com/kishoresen

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 14:08:02 (permalink)
    David,

I know that Cake keeps up with these forums, so your complaint has gone up the chain. Maybe you should write to the company itself. I know I've been fortunate in picking and choosing my upgrades and haven't really been caught up. I did notice GC had SHS posted for $100 (I think), which I thought was pretty cheap.

Hopefully they can do some kind of voucher system if you upgrade SONAR (should be soon) for Dimpro or Rapture or maybe a good effects package. That is what I'd like to see, so that the user can pick his/her poison and not be stuck with a free copy of a synth etc. they already have.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    dpollock
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/06/25 20:16:50 (permalink)
    Thanks AT and Ghengis for at least understanding my frustration. And I hope you are right the Cake people are reading this and not just dismissing it.
    puffer
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/07/01 10:54:04 (permalink)
    dp,

Also, if you sit tight and wait out the release cycle you can usually pick up the releases at really good deals. True, not a "loyal customer" reward program (which I do wholly support by the by), and I imagine these discounts are directly tied to the retail/wholesale pricing, but, hey, cool discounted tools/toys are always welcome.

True, I tend to look at these things from a big-picture (relatively) perspective. Plus, I've spent the last two years designing retail emails, so I've seen behind the curtain of the retail market. (Hint: it's at once more simple and more abstract than one might imagine.)

digitallofi.bandcamp.com
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dim Pro "Special Offer" 2006/07/01 19:06:28 (permalink)
    Also, if you sit tight and wait out the release cycle

That might or might not be a long wait. The fact that Dpro is already quite a bargin plays in. I have waited out the cycle myself on a few occations but with this one because of the expression engine/sfz format thing being kinda revolutionary and just might take off. You might just be passing up the opertunity.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1