Dim Pro midi channel Question

Author
wyndham
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 128
2011/01/05 15:07:47 (permalink)

Dim Pro midi channel Question

Starting to learn and work with Dim Pro. I have read somewhere that the elements 1-4 are assigned to midi channels 1-4   is this correct? I can't see this working like that. If I have 8 midi tracks do I reassign the first 4 to Dim Pro from 1 instance of DP in the first track? Do I then use my other soft synths for the balance or can I call another DP in track 5 and have 4 other elements(patches) for those next 4 tracks. Help Wyndham
Sonar 8.5.3 Athlon dual core 2 gigs

2 Replies Related Threads

S.Wallis
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 269
    Re:Dim Pro midi channel Question 2011/01/05 17:29:57 (permalink)
    Dim Pro can be set to use midi channels 1-4 to control elements 1-4, but it doesn't load up like that as standard. 

To set it up, first, when you load Dim Pro, make sure 'simple instrument track' isn't ticked in the 'insert soft synth options'.

Then open dim pro and click the options button at the top of the synth and tick 'set program as  multitimbral.' Now elements 1-4 will be controlled by midi channels 1-4.

So... change the orignal midi track (that loaded with dim pro) to channel 1. Then add 3 more midi tracks, assign them to dim pro, and change their midi channels to 2, 3, and 4 and you're done.

One thing to remember is that some factory Programs (or presets) use more than one element, so you won't be able to use the multitimbral feature for those programs. It only works for single elements - as i'm sure you understand.

If you need any help assigning midi tracks to dim pro and/or setting those tracks' midi channels let me know and i'll explain.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know that i didn't mention aswell because i didn't fully understand the end of your question. If it's what i think you mean, then you only ever have one audio track for each instance of dim pro, so while you can assign seperate midi channels to each element, you can't run them through vst (or hardware) effects. You can only run the whole thing (all elements) through external effects, as you've only got one audio track to process. (By external i mean those that arn't included inside dim pro.)

And because there's only one audio track you have to set volume levels and pan for each element inside dim pro.
    post edited by S.Wallis - 2011/01/05 17:31:55
    wyndham
    Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 128
    Re:Dim Pro midi channel Question 2011/01/06 10:27:19 (permalink)
    Thanks, I'll try that setup soon, seems straight forward. Wyndham
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1