Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI

Author
Gary
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 150
2006/12/09 11:29:17 (permalink)

Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI

Can I load a GM Drum MIDI File into Dim Pro and have automatically mapped to the Drums Sounds in Dim Pro via GM MIDI?
Basically does Dim Pro have a GM Drum Kit? If so, where?
Can you explain to me how to do this.
Thanks,
Gary

StyleSupportMIDI
http://www.stylesupportmidi.com
MIDI Backing Tracks

5 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    RE: Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI 2006/12/09 19:50:57 (permalink)
    Basically does Dim Pro have a GM Drum Kit? If so, where?
    Most any of the full kits follow the GM Percussion Key Map, but they are limited to the parts of the kit that form the basics. IOW, you're not going to get any agogo or cowbell out of them. Examples include the 01 - Dry Kits and 02 - Room Kits under 05 - Drums.
    Can you explain to me how to do this.
    I think what you're asking for here involves a complete explanation of .sfz editing. Load up some of the presets mentioned, and go to their core .sfz files (navigate to them from the Load Multisample slot). If you bring them up it a text editor, the drum mappings are completely annotated within the .sfz files themselves.
    Gary
    RE: Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI 2006/12/09 20:18:52 (permalink)
    Hi b rock:
    That's a good place to get me started. Thanks for pointing that out to me!
    Gary

StyleSupportMIDI
    MIDI Backing Tracks
    Gary
    RE: Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI 2006/12/09 21:31:20 (permalink)
    Hi b rock:
    I got in there and looked around and learned much. I can see how one could do some programing or more likely, re-write some of the files to suite individual needs.
    I loaded a Dry Kit on E2 and and a conga.sfz on E1 cause I got conga's going with the drummer. I have to say I was not impressed with the sound, yet all the correct MIDI files where playing the correct drum pieces. Maybe tweaking some of the parameters in Dim Pro would no doubt alter the sounds. I guess I'm to much of a plug and play person. I like to create music fast/easy cause I'm not real good at synths ins and outs of sound manipulation. I find Dim Pro does shine on many other instrument sounds, but drums - oh well, probably my lack of understanding.
    Thanks again,
    Gary

StyleSupportMIDI
    MIDI Backing Tracks
    lawapa
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1144
    RE: Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI 2006/12/10 00:06:40 (permalink)
    When you load a prog in Dpro if that prog uses a sfz file and a lot do, some of the sound or programing is within that prog/patch. But you can not load 2 prog's into a single instance.

Dpro is not GM. You can program to the GM spec but at some point you realize what makes a killer sounding snare does not make a bass drum sound good. I don't see this as a limitation with Dpro because multiple instances do not hog more cpu.

With drums I tend to isolate snares/bass/cymbles because each must be effected differently to sound right anyway. The guy's who put this monster together though of everything. And multitimbral mode is a major compromise which makes no sense within the box.

The bottom line means you deal with a few more instrument tracks but have much greater control over the sound. Not a bad trade IMHO.

Gary
    RE: Dim Pro with GM Drum MIDI 2006/12/10 09:33:18 (permalink)
    Hi lawapa:
    You do get around!
    Thanks for the info.
    post edited by Gary - 2006/12/10 09:51:45

StyleSupportMIDI
    MIDI Backing Tracks
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1